Blown Away By Some of the ADR Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an issue with people holding onto a couple of reservations while they get their schedules figured out. 6 months is way too far in advance to make realistic guesses about when to eat. There a just too many unknown factors, park hours, dinner packages, FP+ reservations, and parade and show schedules. Eventually, those "hoarded" ADRs will be released, and people like me who only decided to go at the 3 month period will have a chance to scoop them up.

I wonder if they move the ADR closer to the Fast Pass window, it would cut down the hoarding.

This is my issue. How can I plan where I'm eating when, when I don't know which FP I'll have? I never booked any ADR we weren't planning on using before FP+ started. Now, I feel like I have to book more than one option because I'm not sure what my schedule is going to look like.

For instance, I booked a dinner that opened up at Sci Fi I was trying for. However, I really wanted lunch instead. When lunch opened up, I booked that, but kept dinner as a back up in case my FP ended up interfering with lunch. We will only be in the park a half day that day, so I didn't have much time to work with, especially with all the shows in that park. I was about 2 weeks out from my 60 days. Once I got all my fast pass booked, and knew the lunch time was ok, I let the dinner go.

I learned my lesson from past trips when I used to never book any extra, and it ended up causing us to have to choose between must do meals and must do rides. This time, I wasn't going to let a must do meal go until I was sure my plan was set. If that made me a hoarder for those two weeks that I hung onto both reservations, well then I guess I'm a hoarder. I didn't do this for every restaurant I wanted, but I did do it for my must do restaurants on a couple of the days I was unsure of.

I can understand the desire to book multiples when Disney makes changes to the park hours much closer than 180 days prior. Say a family wants to do BOG for breakfast and lunch. They reserve a PPO breakfast as early as they can get, and a lunch 4 hours later. However, knowing that Disney could decide to open the park an hour earlier or add EMH that day, they also reserve a breakfast for as late as possible (to better take advantage of early touring) and then a second lunch reservation as late as possible.

Now they have 4 reservations for the same restaurant for the same day. They intend to use two of them. They'd be THRILLED to finalize their plans and release the unneeded ADRs but can't until they know what Disney is going to do.

I'm perfectly fine with someone doing this. It isn't the same to me as booking a meal every hour of every day.

This is how I used to run my trips as well. My original frustration point was around someone that might have the following:

8:30 am BOG
8:45 am Tusker house w/ Donald
9:15 am BOG
9:25 am 'Ohana
9:35 am BOG
10:45 am Chef Mickey's

Exaggeration a bit, yes I know (but not by much). I know it's a widespread issue, but it doesn't make me any less frustrated. It also doesn't ruin my trip because I get to go often enough and I don't plan my vacation around food. I think I really just shake my head at it now.

Yes, I think this is a little extreme as well. I don't see a problem with booking a couple of extra meals for the few days you don't have completely figured out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable grabbing everything in sight.

The issue is where do you draw the line? Some will feel it is unethical to book even one meal you don't plan on using. Others, like me, will feel it is ok to book a couple as long as it isn't in excess, and others will feel that all is fair in love and war so to speak.

I figure. I'll worry about me, and they can worry about them. I feel like there are a lot of other injustices and problems in the world I can spend my energy worrying about then if some stranger is hoarding a few ADR.

If you even try to plan 3-4 months out, you will be scraping the bottom of the barrel for ADRs. Maybe a better fix to the system would be to change the ADRs to be 60 days out like the FP+. Then you could do all of your planning at once and people wouldn't have to decide where they want to eat a half a year out....

This is another issue I've run into. We didn't plan our upcoming trip until 3 months out. It was supposed to be a Universal Trip, no planning needed. Last minute, it gets turned into a Disney trip. So, I'm scrambling for adr from the beginning. I know I booked many meals and cancelled them this time which might make it look like I was hoarding them, but wasn't.

For instance, we want to eat at restaurant A for dinner at 7. The only thing I can find 3 months out is restaurant A at noon, so I take it. I'd rather eat at lunch than not at all. Then, a few days later, I find a dinner at 4:00. Then, a few days later, I fine one at 7:30. This causes me to cancel the first two reservations quite close together. It might appear to others that I had 3 reservations made for the same restaurant same day from the beginning, but I didn't. I'm just booking and rebooking constantly as things become available, trying to get as close to my desired schedule as possible.

I've also had times that people backed out on trips that caused me to cancel all their meals at once, again making it appear like I was hoarding those meals, but wasn't.

You never know why a person is getting rid of a meal, or how long they have had it for, so maybe just be glad a cancellation opened up, instead of assuming they've been hoarding it from 180 days out.

It's just too much stress to be worked up over everyone at Disney who likes to bend or outright break the rules. People are people, and there will always be people who have an entitlement factor as big as the world with an ego to match, while there are others wil always try to game the system to gain any tiny advantage they can, regardless of how their behavior affects others. We could start with straight up rude people, move to the line cutters, off to the "faux" line cutters (oh, my group of 5 needs to catch up to my one friend way ahead "holding" our spots, the guests that reserve parade spots hours in advance by placing a blanket on the sidewalk, collectors who buy more than 1 limited edition pin, dog owners that don't pick up their dog waste and let their dog lay on his bed at the yacht club, those who hoard ADRs until the last minute, etc etc etc.

I doubt peoples' behavior is suddenly going to become more empathic and understanding of others, so you just gotta roll with it, let minor things roll off your back, or speak up and say something if it really ruffles your feathers. Some of those examples I listed above annoy me, while others don't bother me one bit.

I don't have an issue with people holding onto a couple of reservations while they get their schedules figured out. 6 months is way too far in advance to make realistic guesses about when to eat. There a just too many unknown factors, park hours, dinner packages, FP+ reservations, and parade and show schedules. Eventually, those "hoarded" ADRs will be released, and people like me who only decided to go at the 3 month period will have a chance to scoop them up.

This is my issue. How can I plan where I'm eating when, when I don't know which FP I'll have? I never booked any ADR we weren't planning on using before FP+ started. Now, I feel like I have to book more than one option because I'm not sure what my schedule is going to look like.

For instance, I booked a dinner that opened up at Sci Fi I was trying for. However, I really wanted lunch instead. When lunch opened up, I booked that, but kept dinner as a back up in case my FP ended up interfering with lunch. We will only be in the park a half day that day, so I didn't have much time to work with, especially with all the shows in that park. I was about 2 weeks out from my 60 days. Once I got all my fast pass booked, and knew the lunch time was ok, I let the dinner go.

I learned my lesson from past trips when I used to never book any extra, and it ended up causing us to have to choose between must do meals and must do rides. This time, I wasn't going to let a must do meal go until I was sure my plan was set. If that made me a hoarder for those two weeks that I hung onto both reservations, well then I guess I'm a hoarder. I didn't do this for every restaurant I wanted, but I did do it for my must do restaurants on a couple of the days I was unsure of.

I'm perfectly fine with someone doing this. It isn't the same to me as booking a meal every hour of every day.

Yes, I think this is a little extreme as well. I don't see a problem with booking a couple of extra meals for the few days you don't have completely figured out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable grabbing everything in sight.

The issue is where do you draw the line? Some will feel it is unethical to book even one meal you don't plan on using. Others, like me, will feel it is ok to book a couple as long as it isn't in excess, and others will feel that all is fair in love and war so to speak.

I figure. I'll worry about me, and they can worry about them. I feel like there are a lot of other injustices and problems in the world I can spend my energy worrying about then if some stranger is hoarding a few ADR.

This is another issue I've run into. We didn't plan our upcoming trip until 3 months out. It was supposed to be a Universal Trip, no planning needed. Last minute, it gets turned into a Disney trip. So, I'm scrambling for adr from the beginning. I know I booked many meals and cancelled them this time which might make it look like I was hoarding them, but wasn't.

For instance, we want to eat at restaurant A for dinner at 7. The only thing I can find 3 months out is restaurant A at noon, so I take it. I'd rather eat at lunch than not at all. Then, a few days later, I find a dinner at 4:00. Then, a few days later, I fine one at 7:30. This causes me to cancel the first two reservations quite close together. It might appear to others that I had 3 reservations made for the same restaurant same day from the beginning, but I didn't. I'm just booking and rebooking constantly as things become available, trying to get as close to my desired schedule as possible.

I've also had times that people backed out on trips that caused me to cancel all their meals at once, again making it appear like I was hoarding those meals, but wasn't.

You never know why a person is getting rid of a meal, or how long they have had it for, so maybe just be glad a cancellation opened up, instead of assuming they've been hoarding it from 180 days out.

Having a day where you are required to book for lunch and dinner and then need to cancel one after getting fast passes, I personally would not consider an abuse of the system. It's when guests book multiple restaurants for the same time period in every park "just in case" they might want to change their plans. Or booking every 15 minutes at BOG. Or booking BOG every morning of trip with no intention of using them that is an unfair abuse.

Having a day where you are required to book for lunch and dinner and then need to cancel one after getting fast passes, I personally would not consider an abuse of the system. It's when guests book multiple restaurants for the same time period in every park "just in case" they might want to change their plans. Or booking every 15 minutes at BOG. Or booking BOG every morning of trip with no intention of using them that is an unfair abuse.
Just saw someone with no fewer than 9 dinner reservations for BOG.

Sorry that isn't having a back up plan. That is abuse of the system.

Just saw someone with no fewer than 9 dinner reservations for BOG.

Sorry that isn't having a back up plan. That is abuse of the system.

I take it they weren't 9 reservations for 9 different days? Not that I would want to eat dinner at BoG 9 straight days, but to each their own?

I take it they weren't 9 reservations for 9 different days? Not that I would want to eat dinner at BoG 9 straight days, but to each their own?
No, it was 5 days, maybe 6.

But do you really think they were actually thinking about going to Disney for 6+ days and only going to Magic Kingdom, at least in the evening?

Like I said, it seems more like an abuse of the system.

I hope that in the future, Disney limits the same reservation, only an hour apart. Or something as blatant as this.

I'm always torn about those posts. I agree. It bugs me that someone has 2-3 bog adrs within 30 minutes or so per day. But at the end of the day, I can't stop it, that's Disney's job

I don't want to stop them posting because hopefully someone here can benefit. But I can also see the judgey mcjudgeyface on people

Last edited:
I’ve seen people cancel a 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00 for the SAME day on cancel threads. I’m sorry, but there’s zero reason for that.

I had two BOG reservations for the same day that I booked because I had a 8 person party, but had better luck getting overlapping ADRs for two smaller groups. Maybe that's the reason? I did post my cancellations here and successfully transferred them to other DISers :-)

Last edited:
I hope that in the future, Disney limits the same reservation, only an hour apart.

Disney does try to limit this already. On MDE if you try to make an ADR within two hours of another ADR, it will make you choose between the two ADRs. The people making ADRs within an hour of each other must be doing it using multiple MDE accounts. I'm not sure if this is a violation of Disney policies or not.

Judge me if you like, I booked Beaches and Cream for 4 of our 7 days, because I did not yet know which day would be our resort day.
As soon as I had a firmer plan (well before 60 days, but after 180 days) I released them. I did NOT release them on the Dis for the simple reason
of this actual thread. In the past when I have had 2 (only TWO) ADRs for BOG for 2 different days, I released the "extra" one on the day we would not be in MK.
Again, because of this thread, I will continue to get ADRs in advance, as is my right as someone staying onsite, maybe 2, 3 or 4 days in a row, until my plans are
finalized. I will NEVER release them on The Dis, as I don't want haters to hate.
For those of you who are sitting in judgement, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Judge me if you like, I booked Beaches and Cream for 4 of our 7 days, because I did not yet know which day would be our resort day.
As soon as I had a firmer plan (well before 60 days, but after 180 days) I released them. I did NOT release them on the Dis for the simple reason
of this actual thread. In the past when I have had 2 (only TWO) ADRs for BOG for 2 different days, I released the "extra" one on the day we would not be in MK.
Again, because of this thread, I will continue to get ADRs in advance, as is my right as someone staying onsite, maybe 2, 3 or 4 days in a row, until my plans are
finalized. I will NEVER release them on The Dis, as I don't want haters to hate.
For those of you who are sitting in judgement, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Only if you go forth and sin no more.

One BoG released is not what is being talked about.

It is releasing 9. And at the same time, releasing 6 for another location.

Not the same as booking 2 of the most popular restaurants for 2, 3 or 4 different times each on the same day on 4 different days. In order to get those ADRs, you are somehow cheating the system, since it doesn't allow 1 person to make & hold those kind of plans. Doesn't make people who point it out haters. Most of us actually do play by Disney's rules. We plan as best we can & make only 1 ADR per time slot. At 180 days out. If our plans change, we readjust as we go. All without circumventing Disney's rules. Or hoarding ADRs for months until we decide on final plans.

To nonnas point, how many adrs aren't released here because the poster doesn't want to deal. Good point to on large parties, you might have multiple adrs since they make you.

Until fast passes can be booked, you can't finalize your vacation. Disney has created this monster. I might raise an eyebrow at some of the posts, but that's it.

If you book deluxe dining you have a lot of money on the table and you have a ton of adrs required. Often 2-3 per day. All that must be coordinated w park hours, that could change, fast passes and fireworks shows or dessert parties

Way too much planning required. Remember when you could play bus roulette and randomly decide which park to go to? When you could decide that day where you wanted to eat? I miss those days

We want people to post their cancellations. While some of them might be a tad heavy, better that than not canceling at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!