Blue Bayou Questions

lindyv321

DIS Veteran
We are going back-and-forth on whether or not to splurge and eat at the Blue Bayou. We are thinking this upcoming trip may be our last with both of our kids for a while and have always wanted to eat here. We are coming up on our time to make our ADR’s and need to decide. The problem is the menu, it’s honestly not all that appealing to the majority of us. I’m having a hard time justifying the expense just for the atmosphere.

I’ve heard that anyone can order from the kids menu but are given bigger portions and are charged more when the one ordering is not a kid. Is this true? How much more are you charged? I don’t want to pay $40 for Mac and cheese!
Is the food really heavy? I don’t want to make a lunch reservation and be in a food coma the rest of the day!
Are substitutions of the sides allowed? Like if i get the steak can I sub roasted potatoes for the mac and cheese it comes with?
Is it possible to just order drinks and dessert?
I appreciate any advice!

Double the price.

Yes, they have always made subs for me. I didn’t want greens and they gave me green beans.

Yes, you can order drinks and desserts but I did that once. It wasn’t enjoyable. I felt like I was wasting a table. I felt like I needed to get out of there ASAP. It was awkward. I felt cheapskate. It’s fine to share meals though.

It’s something you’ve always wanted to do. I’d go for it while you’re all together. Maybe you could get the fantasmic meal. Then you’d get the show as well?

You can order drinks and dessert. Since you don't like a lot of the regular menu options, I'd either skip it completely or sit down for a snack and drink.

I've been having the same debate myself. My DH and I ate here without kids a few years back and loved it (minus the obnoxious riders who kept yelling things at us). I was considering taking the kids on our next trip because it's such a cool atmosphere... but I think most of them (there's 5) would not even touch most of what's on the menu. (They're in their teens, they eat off the regular menu - not the kids menu.) I just can't imagine spending that kind of money on food they won't even want to eat. Although, maybe if they can eat off the kids menu - even if it's double the regular cost - it might be doable.

Double the price.

Yes, they have always made subs for me. I didn’t want greens and they gave me green beans.

Yes, you can order drinks and desserts but I did that once. It wasn’t enjoyable. I felt like I was wasting a table. I felt like I needed to get out of there ASAP. It was awkward. I felt cheapskate. It’s fine to share meals though.

It’s something you’ve always wanted to do. I’d go for it while you’re all together. Maybe you could get the fantasmic meal. Then you’d get the show as well?

Thank you! If my teens can order from the kids menu and I can do a bit of side swapping we should be good!

Now to do lunch or dinner? Based on photos I’ve seen the portions don’t look huge.....

... Now to do lunch or dinner? Based on photos I’ve seen the portions don’t look huge.....

We've always found the portions at BB to be generous, lunch or dinner. Unless we get a dining package, we usually share an appetizer and entree and both get enough. Recently, we took two friends with hearty appetites to BB for the F! dinner. They both cleaned their plates (appetizer, entree -- one rib eye and one salmon, and dessert!) and did not ask for more food. No one complained that they didn't get enough.

We've always found the portions at BB to be generous, lunch or dinner. Unless we get a dining package, we usually share an appetizer and entree and both get enough. Recently, we took two friends with hearty appetites to BB for the F! dinner. They both cleaned their plates (appetizer, entree -- one rib eye and one salmon, and dessert!) and did not ask for more food. No one complained that they didn't get enough.

We probably wouldn’t do any appetizers, juts entree’s. I think I’m going to go for a late lunch then we can go take our afternoon break afterwards and let everything settle!

I did this recently for my birthday with my friend and my 3 year old and we had the best time! I ordered the lamb and it was AMAZING! I had been hearing reviews that the food was not good and that was not our experience at all! They were very accommodating with swapping a side for my friend. Just be sure to ask for a waterside table, it makes the experience! Check in 30 minutes early and ask if you can please request a waterside table and that you don’t mind waiting. We did this and were actually seated before our reservation time, it was great!

I agree. I’ve always enjoyed the food. I was a little ticked about the recent price increases. I probably won’t be going there for quite awhile. But we’ve been a lot recently.

I've done a full meal and I've also just done drinks and desserts, both times were very enjoyable. I never felt rushed when we did desserts only and it was a great way to soak up the atmosphere without blowing the shoestring budget we were on.

Amazing meal! We were here for our 10 year anniversary, husband had surf and turf, I thought I had a tenderloin but don't see it now. The only part that would've made it better would be to sit by the water. It was super pricey but we were on our 1st adult trip no kids :)

I did this recently for my birthday with my friend and my 3 year old and we had the best time! I ordered the lamb and it was AMAZING! I had been hearing reviews that the food was not good and that was not our experience at all! They were very accommodating with swapping a side for my friend. Just be sure to ask for a waterside table, it makes the experience! Check in 30 minutes early and ask if you can please request a waterside table and that you don’t mind waiting. We did this and were actually seated before our reservation time, it was great!
Thank you for this! We're making our first DL visit in 11/2019 and I already know I want to order the lamb. If you go to WDW Skipper Canteen at MK has wonderful lamb too. I love the waterside table tip too. I know there's no guarantee, but we'll definitely give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter