Blue card vs resale

Gaboo414

Earning My Ears
I've been seriously debating the fact of selling my small 50 direct contract and purchasing a larger resale contract. The only con is that I'd be losing my "perks"
I find myself asking if you all really think the perks are definitely worth it? We live in the west coast so we rarely get MM events. With my DL AP I get discounts soooo then what else would I really be missing??
Currently we are going once a year to WDW but I'd like to expand it to at least 2x a year for a week each time.

You can own 2 contracts. Just purchased a resale that has the correct number of points to ad to the 50. You don't say which resort you have and if youa re wishing to purchased a different one so there's that.

I wouldn’t dump the blue card contract. It’s only 50 points. If that’s essential to freeing up capital for the larger contract, then I just wouldn’t buy the larger contract right now.

Nobody knows what DVC will do with perks in the future, but if they have an extended economic downturn or attendance slowdown after this (like they did after 9/11), I would think they could get very creative about expanding blue card benefits.

I don’t have a blue card and can honestly say I don’t miss any of the benefits... but if I had one, I probably would hold onto it regardless. Even just for the fact that you can book stays at future resorts with those 50 points by banking and borrowing.

And to add, if after you sell your 50 point blue card contract and purchase a larger resale you decide you want a blue card after all. Guess what? You will need to then buy 100 points direct for the benefits.

If the new DVC resort gets built in CA, your 50 points would be eligible there,

I think it may be worth it for you simply for that.

I personally would just add on to your original contract. Just get the same use year. It makes sense to wait and see. Hopefully this virus has a solution soon.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I realized I did forget to put a lot of missing info.
I currently own 2 contracts. The small direct 50 and a larger 120 resale bought back in 2017 (I'm grandfathered into using those anywhere I belive) the small one has an aug UY which I'm not too crazy about and the 120 is Feb. I'm just thinking about the fact of selling the small direct and purchasing a larger amount of points via resale instead. Economically it just makes more sense to own more points than to pay more money for less amount.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I realized I did forget to put a lot of missing info.
I currently own 2 contracts. The small direct 50 and a larger 120 resale bought back in 2017 (I'm grandfathered into using those anywhere I belive) the small one has an aug UY which I'm not too crazy about and the 120 is Feb. I'm just thinking about the fact of selling the small direct and purchasing a larger amount of points via resale instead. Economically it just makes more sense to own more points than to pay more money for less amount.
I may be wrong but I believe changes to membership were first made on 3/20/2011

I may be wrong but I believe changes to membership were first made on 3/20/2011
Yes that is when DVC removed something from resale, I think it was the Concierge collection or something, it is not a good use of points, but up until January of 2019 resale could book all DVC resorts after January 19, 2019 you could only book the original 14 resorts, RIV and everything after are off limits. I believe this is what the OP is talking about. There are several other dates they removed other benefits too.

Ah, that makes a big difference! I was about to reply that if you were hoping to start visiting WDW twice a year, the AP discount could be valuable. But now I realize you can access that discount anyway with your 2017 resale contract, so yes, it would make sense to me to sell the 50 point contract and buy a resale that better fits your desires for UY as well as resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter