Bob Iger Steps Down as CEO, Chapek to Succeed Iger as CEO

If only they could use Marvel in WDW.

Technically speaking, they can use certain Marvel characters ,they just can't be associated with the big characters that most people know(X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, etc). Sure, that limits what they can do in the parks, but depending on what goes on in Phase 4, you can easily get people to enjoy characters they might not have known prior (personally, I love me the lesser known characters).

How can you say that though when Disney has bought up every IP they can get their hands on trying to compete ever since HP opened? It's so obvious that they can't STAND Universal getting so much (well deserved) attention for knocking this one out of the parks. I'm surprised Disney didn't try to put in a Twilight land. lol
DIsney didn't purchase all of that IP for Disney World. WDW makes them a lot of money, but it's not the primary driver for all of their business decisions. They purchased FOX for their film and TV catalog, primarily for the initial build-out of Disney+ and to control Hulu. That's what's going to make them big money in the future.

I feel like a lot of people on this board put a lot more importance for Disney's operations on WDW than is actually justified.

We are all friends here, and I respect your opinion, but it seems to me this displays a fundamental lack of understanding at how business works. (Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your point, which is probably more likely!) The Disney Corporation is a giant multinational corporation governed by a Board of Directors, whose purpose for existing is to increase shareholder value. There is no such thing as a "reasonably profitable business" because shareholders are always looking for maximum return on their investment.

Now there is no question that Disney has a keen eye focused on customer experience, but we have to keep in mind the vast, vast majority of Disney's customers aren't hardcore fans who populate these boards and who religiously attend D23 every year. Nearly every facet of the Disney corporation is knocking it out of the park (if you will) right now - movies, cruise line, ABD, parks, DVC...you name it. They are precisely where they should be thanks to Iger and his leadership team, and as a result Wall Street is generally very happy - as has been reflected in the stock price. I don't think Chapek has the charisma and creativity that Iger has/had, but time will tell if he can take the company to the next level.

It's worth remembering that there was a time when Disney was NOT the 100-pound gorilla they are now. After Walt's passing, when the vision of the company strayed and it was considerably weakened by a lack of vision and strength at the top, our beloved Disney was almost sold off to corporate raiders and broken up into pieces. So it may be worth keeping in mind that a very strong balance sheet and the favor of Wall Street isn't such a bad thing, even though they decide to replace your favorite attraction with a fresh new IP every once in a while.

Just sayin'!
Respectfully , I disagree. I believe that companies have lost their way because of the believe that they owe the stockholder. Its not just the companies duty to please them, they should first and foremost pleas their customers, employees and then stockholders.

This stockholder first mentality is exactly what is killing America. Why? Because the market is insatiable, unreasonable and fundamentally morally corrupt. Its places demands , (largely made up by simple greed) on companies , which force them to do things no reasonable business would normally do, in order to “meet the street”.

This attitude , largely cultivated and expanded in the 1980’s has lead to decisions that fundamentally destroyed many healthy businesses and industries. Its the reason many successful businesses stay private , so they can be long term companies that actually contribute to a sustaible market.

What we have now, its ultimately defeatist to sustainability for most companies and fosters a dog eat dog corporate ideal with fosters monopolies and actually hurts competition and diversity.

Respectfully, we differ on our core ideas of what makes a strong economy. But with a company that works on creativity and imagination, these Wall Street first tenants will not help them succeed.

Respectfully , I disagree. I believe that companies have lost their way because of the believe that they owe the stockholder. Its not just the companies duty to please them, they should first and foremost pleas their customers, employees and then stockholders.

This stockholder first mentality is exactly what is killing America. Why? Because the market is insatiable, unreasonable and fundamentally morally corrupt. Its places demands , (largely made up by simple greed) on companies , which force them to do things no reasonable business would normally do, in order to “meet the street”.

This attitude , largely cultivated and expanded in the 1980’s has lead to decisions that fundamentally destroyed many healthy businesses and industries. Its the reason many successful businesses stay private , so they can be long term companies that actually contribute to a sustaible market.

What we have now, its ultimately defeatist to sustainability for most companies and fosters a dog eat dog corporate ideal with fosters monopolies and actually hurts competition and diversity.

Respectfully, we differ on our core ideas of what makes a strong economy. But with a company that works on creativity and imagination, these Wall Street first tenants will not help them succeed.
Institutional ownership!

Last edited:
New attraction announcement coming soon... Rise of the Accountants! It features paid boarding groups, in line bathrooms (cost a snack credit to use them), and no cast members to run the ride (everyone must swipe their credit card to begin the ride). Additionally it will only be in operation from 10:23 AM to 2:47 PM, Monday, Wednesday, and every fifth Tuesday... you know to keep cost down. >:(
And bring your own toilet paper like you have to do on the Siberian Railroad trip

It's not NOT true, either, though. The board and officers have a fiduciary obligation to the owners of the company, i.e., the shareholders whose property they administer. This does not always mean maximizing value, but a decision knowingly taken that reduces value would certainly raise eyebrows among larger investors. No one wants a derivative suit.

fiduciary obligation to the owners of the company

Got that right

It's not NOT true, either, though. The board and officers have a fiduciary obligation to the owners of the company, i.e., the shareholders whose property they administer. This does not always mean maximizing value, but a decision knowingly taken that reduces value would certainly raise eyebrows among larger investors. No one wants a derivative suit.

fiduciary obligation to the owners of the company

Got that right

This stockholder first mentality is exactly what is killing America. Why? Because the market is insatiable, unreasonable and fundamentally morally corrupt. Its places demands , (largely made up by simple greed) on companies , which force them to do things no reasonable business would normally do, in order to “meet the

It should be employees first then customers then stockholders
If employees are happy then customers will be happy then stockholders will be happy.

I have read all of the post and the one thing I do not understand "why do people keep going back if it is so bad?"
If people are so unhappy with the way the parks and resorts are and have been run why keep spending hard earned money to go back?
There was a thread called something like "Is Disney no longer affordable to the middle class" I know it is expensive to visit Disney but have thing gotten that bad it is not worth the money?

2019 was the first year in 20 years my wife and I did not have some sort of pass to go to Walt Disney world parks. We are local to the parks and have been DVC members for 23 years. We still stayed at the hotels in 2018 just no parks. The big reason, the cost of the passes out weighed the value of going to the parks. With the amount of work going on at the parks with rides and shows shut down and the facts the passes just keep going up every year it was not worth it.

I decided I did not like the way things were playing out with amount of park construction vs park pass prices and stopped going.
If more guest did this maybe the people in charge of the parks and resorts would change their attitude about offering less guest service/guest experience for more money.

Disney is trying to squeeze every dime out of their guest in ways I could have never imagined.
I have always said that Disney has mastered the art of separating people from their money and they are good at it.

With all that said.
Companies are in business to make as much money as they can. If it is a public company their responsibility is to the stock holders. Their are two way a company can make more profit "increase sales and or cut expenses" It is that simple.

By the way look at what almost happened to Disney back in the early 80s. When the company was struggling they were almost bought out by a corporate raider and were at risk of being broken up. One of the first thing Eisner did was to raise prices to increase profits. This aloud for a huge amount of growth for parks and resorts durring his time as CEO.

I am unfamiliar with the way the new CEO has done his job in the past but I will be watching what he will be doing in the future. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance.

There has to be a balance somewhere.

When you have 12 theme parks that takes a lot of people run them so of course that’s where most of their employees are.

I stand by that Disney is first and foremost an entertainment company. They don’t have those parks without their content. Look at Disney+, that was their biggest endeavor in years. That’s content, all of which can be used for the parks but they start with the IP/content. Disney didn’t make $11 billion at the box office in 2019 because they are a theme park company.
No. But they did make $26.3 billion in parks and products division because they are a theme park company.

At the end of the day, the movies drive an interest in the parks, and the parks drive an interest in their movies. It is a relationship they have really capitalized on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter