Book a package vs. individual pieces

craigkerstiens

Mouseketeer
We're heading for Tokyo for a few days and really excited to check out Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea. Though I have to admit planning and figuring it out is very different than WDW or DL. Most of the Disney hotels are already sold out for when we're there, but we can do some of the non Disney hotel or the Disneyland one.

The open question here is I could also book direct with the hotel and buy tickets separately. I have status with Marriott to the Sheraton would have a lounge/breakfast already included. Does anyone know if they'd honor the status still when booking a package, or can they speak to whether the park hopping and included fast passes make it worth the package?

When are you coming? That's going to be the best indication as to whether or not those extra FPs are worth it.

If you stay at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel & buy your tickets there, you can hop from the first day without needing a package.

I'll start by saying "we've never been" so take everything we say with that angle...

However, I can relay some of our thinking for booking a package (we are going in April for what sounds like one of the Japan school holiday breaks) for a Sunday-Tuesday trip.

* The math told us it would be far more expensive, at least $500 per night more, though we never quite got an apples for apples comparison
* We have two kids, 8 and 5, first time travelling internationally (From SF) - they are Disney nuts (and so are my wife and I!)
* We know, from everything we've read, that even 3 full days in the parks is going to leave us wanting more so for us it was worth it to maximize time with the fast passes (we get 6) and advance show bookings (we get 2). These are VERY expensive for the four of us - basically about $20-30 apiece depending on how you value each.
* There are other benefits (breakfast, free drinks for the 3 days, a monorail pass) which you can assign monetary value to but are somewhat hard to compare when you're getting. We also got to book into MiraCosta early though that doesn't seem to have had a value as rooms are still available for our days.
* We don't value the park hopping as I would only see us using that on day 3 if at all and that's standard in a 3 day ticket.

I think it really came down to: Once in a lifetime trip, wanting to really maximize our time, wanting to stay at MiraCosta and make sure we got a room, and somewhat for the piece of mind of having it all done at once.

You don't really "need" the FPs for those dates, especially if you're a frequent visitor to WDW & aren't looking to do TSM in Tokyo. The package that includes show tickets might be more worthwhile for you.

I'm a fan of the packages, but they are expensive. You will have to balance the benefits against your budget & the likelihood that you will ever return. I'd be more inclined to recommend a package for a first/only trip.

We are also going in April. I had been stalking the booking site for availability and pricing prior to our actual window opening. Keep in mind that the packages open 6 months in advance, and hotel only 5 months in advance. I noticed that the Miracosta sold out almost immediately upon booking - especially for weekend dates. (We cannot be flexible, and one of our nights is a Saturday). To be safe, I booked a package at exactly the 6 month mark. It is outrageously expensive! I had every intention of cancelling the package (no penalty) if I could get the hotel room only at the 5 month mark. Well, there is nothing available for the Saturday night except suites and higher end rooms. So. whew, I am glad we booked the package! I'm sure it will not be as challenging if you can avoid the weekend, and be more flexible in the hotel. It's a once in a lifetime trip, so we feel its money well spent for the additional benefits, and a chance to stay right in DisneySea

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter