Booked our 1st ABD trip, Italy June 2018

On our Italy ABD, part of our group did a side-trip to Pisa during our free day in Tuscany (not worth it IMO for a quick photo-op, but understand that it's on kid's bucket list. We swam and did laundry!)

Highly recommend Pompeii/Amalfi Coast!
What we did:
-flew into Rome, dropped most bags @ ABD hotel for storage and took bullet train to Naples, local train to Sorrento. The train is a blast! 200+mph! Swam and battled jetlag.
-next morning, hired a local driver to take our family down the Amalfi Coast. It wound up being our favorite day of our trip!
-next morning took train back to Rome with a morning stop at Pompeii (they have a safe luggage storage at the station)

Hilton Sorrento Palace has family rooms, great included breakfast with views of the Med. Sea and Vesuvius, and a pool that beats many Magic Kingdom hotels.

I'd do it the same way again (unless flight into Naples is doable).
Did you do a tour guide to Pompeii or on your own? We are going September 2019 and have two pre nights, really want to go to Pompeii but nervous to go on our own.

Did you do a tour guide to Pompeii or on your own? We are going September 2019 and have two pre nights, really want to go to Pompeii but nervous to go on our own.
We went on our own and it was quite simple. You can hire a private local guide right at the ruins, join a group, or explore on your own (Rick Steves has a decent audio guide).
A day trip would be doable, but exhausting & staying the first couple nights in Sorrento is quite a bit cheaper that sleeping in Rome.

Are you flying into Rome? If you can fly direct to Naples it would be easier, but we did Rome because the flights were so much cheaper.
The trains are easy to do, and quite an adventure! I can give you step by step instructions if you like.

Last edited:

Here is how we did it. We flew into Rome and and had our 2 pre nights at the hotel and booked through disney. We had planned to take the train done but decided to do it differently at the last minute.

We hired a private guide to pick us up at the hotel and drive us. He took car of tickets etc. At Vesuvius, we were dropped off and did the hike on our own, he then drove us to an area near pompeii and recommended a few places for lunch. He then took us to meet our private guide for Pompeii. (this place is huge, way bigger than I expected). He then drove us back to the hotel in Rome. All three of us slept on the drive. It worked out perfectly for a day trip.

Last edited:

We went on our own and it was quite simple. You can hire a private local guide right at the ruins, join a group, or explore on your own (Rick Steves has a decent audio guide).
A day trip would be doable, but exhausting & staying the first couple nights in Sorrento is quite a bit cheaper that sleeping in Rome.

Are you flying into Rome? If you can fly direct to Naples it would be easier, but we did Rome because the flights were so much cheaper.
The trains are easy to do, and quite an adventure! I can give you step by step instructions if you like.
We are flying into Rome yes. Thank you for your reply! I think we are a little chicken to go on our own. We are staying at the Gran Melia, they evidently have tours to Pompeii which might be the easiest, but I don't know the cost for 2019 yet.

We are flying into Rome yes. Thank you for your reply! I think we are a little chicken to go on our own. We are staying at the Gran Melia, they evidently have tours to Pompeii which might be the easiest, but I don't know the cost for 2019 yet.

That's where we stayed at too. The private tour with transportation to and from the hotel we booked was through livitaly.com. I think it was about $1000 for the three of us but so very nice not to have to think about anything as we were still adjusting to the time zone change. Livitaly has a ton of options depending on what you want to see/do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!