Booking 2021 then adding free dining if available?

Magic Megadegs

Mouseketeer
Hi All, apologies if this is a much asked question. We are looking at going next year, summer 2021 and are wondering whether if we book direct with Disney now and they release free dining next month whether we can add it onto the booking then? I appreciate the price of the stay will
go up as normally prices rise around free dining times but is it possible? Do you lose the £200 deposit? Thank you so much x

This is how I understand it, I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong.

People are always advised that discounts and offers can be applied retrospectively to bookings already made, but I think this only applies to the USA. Disney UK has a less flexible "package" regime. Generally, we can't pick and choose discounts anyway, you get what you're given at the time you make the booking. Generally, we don't book room-only packages which is where discounts happen, however in my experience there will always be some sort of discount off rack-rate applied anyway, they might say it's an "online booking" discount, or a "winter discount", or a discount for booking park tickets along with the hotel.

With regard to free dining, you can't retrospectively add it. You have to cancel your previous booking and make another one which has the offer. If you phone them to do this, they can make it as transparent as possible but effectively you are booking a new one then cancelling the old one, which implies there must still be the same rooms available otherwise you won't be able to make a new booking. If the cancellation happens first then there is a danger that someone else could book your rooms in that small gap.

No, you won't lose the deposit, they can transfer and apply it to the new booking. However if the new booking doesn't cost more than the old one they will take a £50 charge, this is effectively the cancellation fee.

I suspect that, because there is usuallty a built-in discount to our packages anyway, that's the reason why you can't add free dining on to that package. Because you'd be getting two discounts! As you say, prices will probably rise during the free dining period. They don't rise as such, it's just that the built-in discount is no longer applied.

I’m not so sure you can book now and transfer to free dining offer. I’m fairly sure they follow the UK norm of ‘new bookings only’. You can amend a booking, by date and/or hotel and/or duration and if price goes up no problem or if not pay amendment fee.

Of course you can ditch you £200 deposit and start again.

Thank you all for your replies. I rang and spoke to them just now. They are releasing early offers on April 3rd with bookings being taken from 21st or 22nd April. As we would like a family suite I have booked (value resort) so if historical offers hold true we would only be eligible for free breakfast and not the gift card. They can rebook for me if the offer is better but as you have said they would refund the deposit and collect a new one. Also as mentioned if the cost of the holiday is lower then there is a £50 amendment fee but we won’t lose the deposit.

we have a 6ft now 15 year oldand a 5ft 6 12 year old who are male and female and we think for our family sharing a bed for them would be odd. The alternative to a suite was 2 rooms or getting a put up bed but they are normally suitable for smaller children and not as comfortable for larger ones. This will probably be the last trip we share a room and the refurbished rooms are great. 2bathrooms, 2 pull down Murphy beds and a Master and kitchenette. We decided to go big or go home 🙈 Now need to tell my husband ...

Hi Everyone,
Just for info, I'm in the UK and I booked my trip to Disney World then about a week later a free dining package was released. I had heard on Disney Food Blog that this could be added retrospectively, so I called Disney to query and it was a nightmare, I couldn't get through, I waited like 4 hours then the line would drop off...everyone it seemed wanted the free dining. Fast forward a few days of trying and all but giving up, I was talking here about it and guess what?! Disney contacted me. Needless to say, they added the Disney Dining and gift card package to my booking and threw in an additional $100 gift card to apologize for my problems calling them. It was the perfect pixie dust to make me sure I had made the right choice for my trip!

Disney's customer services are AMAZING! So I would suggest that it can be added retrospectively but if you know when free dining is being released, I'd try and book.

Hope this helps others for the future...it's hard to know when free dining will pop up!

K x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter