Booking an "accessibility" room at OKW?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Ok, I gotta a question. I noticed today that when searching for a room you can check the box for an "accessibility" room. So when I did so at OKW, the rooms showed up with the phrase wheel chair-accessible, or such. Does this mean if you book one of these rooms you are you going to be assigned a ground floor room or a room that is in the buildings that have an elevator? And if so, do some people book them to make sure they get one of the two locations, ground floor or an elevator room?

The location and the room is modified for wheel chairs. Roll in shower, counters are lowered, maybe wider doors.

:earsboy: Bill

Requesting one, without the need for one is like parking in a Handicap parking spot. So I'm pretty sure it happens.

Requesting one, without the need for one is like parking in a Handicap parking spot. So I'm pretty sure it happens.
I would never do either unless we needed it. I do have a 21-year-old daughter that has some health issues where this might come into play for her is the only reason I ask. If she weren't with us, I would never attempt such.

I did not, nor would I, imply that you would do this, just that in todays society that just about anything is possible. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

I did not, nor would I, imply that you would do this, just that in todays society that just about anything is possible. Sorry if I offended you in any way.
Oh no, I wasn't offended. But I know some people have no shame.

That's exactly why I didn't reserve one for an upcoming trip, even though some people here recommended it. I can't climb stairs, so I wanted first floor or an elevator building. MS refused to put "for medical reasons" unless I requested a HA unit, which I don't need. And as you said, requesting one just to be sure I'd get no stairs but not needing the HA unit seemed to me like parking in a HA space when I don't require one.

That's exactly why I didn't reserve one for an upcoming trip, even though some people here recommended it. I can't climb stairs, so I wanted first floor or an elevator building. MS refused to put "for medical reasons" unless I requested a HA unit, which I don't need. And as you said, requesting one just to be sure I'd get no stairs but not needing the HA unit seemed to me like parking in a HA space when I don't require one.

Interesting. Back in October, we stayed at OKW for 3 nights. DW has had a couple of back surgeries and stairs, while not impossible, are quite difficult. When I spoke to MS, I explained that I needed either a ground floor room or one of the buildings with an elevator. But we didn't need a HCA room. The CM responded with "Gotcha covered. I'll note that it's for medical reasons". MDE did not reflect that a HCA room had been reserved. We did get a HCA room (not that we needed it), but that designation only appeared on MDE once we were texted our room number. I assumed that we got that room because that was what was available to meet our needs at that time.

But then, the inconsistencies of how different CMs actually do things is no real surprise, is it?

Steve

But then, the inconsistencies of how different CMs actually do things is no real surprise, is it?

Steve

Yes, it really has me a little steamed. Back when I reserved this room, I noted my need for no stairs and the CM said that it would just be a request, not a guarantee. Later I sent an Email to MS, again telling them that my knees do not allow me to do stairs and asked if "medical need" could be added to my reservation. Again, I was told "No", it's a request but no guarantee, so sadly now all I can do is sit and pray. I find it a little hard to believe that the inability to walk up and down stairs is a request, not a guarantee. DH loves OKW and I like it, but frankly, if this is their policy, I'm not sure what will happen in the future (like one less family staying there makes any difference).

Yes, it really has me a little steamed. Back when I reserved this room, I noted my need for no stairs and the CM said that it would just be a request, not a guarantee. Later I sent an Email to MS, again telling them that my knees do not allow me to do stairs and asked if "medical need" could be added to my reservation. Again, I was told "No", it's a request but no guarantee, so sadly now all I can do is sit and pray. I find it a little hard to believe that the inability to walk up and down stairs is a request, not a guarantee. DH loves OKW and I like it, but frankly, if this is their policy, I'm not sure what will happen in the future (like one less family staying there makes any difference).
My luck gets me a studio on the third floor. I'd rather get a HA studio on the first floor.

It looks like OKW doesn't have any dedicated 2 bedrooms that are HA accessible. I would think, if you're in a dedicated two bedroom unit, they should be able to notate the ground floor/elevator room for medical purposes, right? We have a similar situation where we have 2 people in our party who really don't navigate stairs all that well, but do not need any features of a HA room. In fact for one of them, the walk in shower is kind of difficult to use. I am thinking I should call and see if we can notate the first floor request for medical reasons..?

It looks like OKW doesn't have any dedicated 2 bedrooms that are HA accessible. I would think, if you're in a dedicated two bedroom unit, they should be able to notate the ground floor/elevator room for medical purposes, right? We have a similar situation where we have 2 people in our party who really don't navigate stairs all that well, but do not need any features of a HA room. In fact for one of them, the walk in shower is kind of difficult to use. I am thinking I should call and see if we can notate the first floor request for medical reasons..?

Please do report back here if you do and if so, what they say. When I said I couldn’t do stairs, 2 different CMs refused to put my first floor request as “for medical reasons”. My next call will be directly to the resort.

Please do report back here if you do and if so, what they say. When I said I couldn’t do stairs, 2 different CMs refused to put my first floor request as “for medical reasons”. My next call will be directly to the resort.
Beware, calling the "resort" gets you to a call center, which might be out of state. Do not trust the answers they give you.
Denise

Beware, calling the "resort" gets you to a call center, which might be out of state. Do not trust the answers they give you.
Denise

Thanks for that info! It makes sense. Sadly I hoped that if I called the number that DVC lists as the phone number of the resort, I’d actually get the resort. Is there a phone number that will actually get me to the resort?

If you can't do stairs, there is no "shame" in booking an HA unit at OKW, there generally are plenty available for those that need the modifications for wheelchairs. Just be aware that most HA studios do not have a bathtub, they have a roll-in shower. HA one bedrooms have both a roll-in shower and a large jacuzzi tub at OKW.My Mom could not do stairs, and used a wheelchair for long distances, but did fine walking once she was in the room, after 3 hip replacements. Before the HA rooms were a booking category, we were often just assigned one anyway when we requested first floor. There are quite a few HA rooms at OKW.

Last edited:
We are currently in a handicap studio. We booked last minute so we ended up with one night at the Grand Floridian and one night at Boardwalk. An HC studio is less than ideal for the able bodied because you loose valuable shelf space and the kitchenette sink is low and shallow. We were kind of annoyed we paid full points and got a less functional room. I asked the desk at the Grand and they said the HC rooms tend to be the last ones available so if you book just one night there's a good chance you'll get one.

We are currently in a handicap studio. We booked last minute so we ended up with one night at the Grand Floridian and one night at Boardwalk. An HC studio is less than ideal for the able bodied because you loose valuable shelf space and the kitchenette sink is low and shallow. We were kind of annoyed we paid full points and got a less functional room. I asked the desk at the Grand and they said the HC rooms tend to be the last ones available so if you book just one night there's a good chance you'll get one.
The kitchenette sinks are not low at OKW, unless the recent remodel changed that. You do lose storage in the bathroom, and the tub....but overall the HA units at OKW aren't terrible for adults. I wouldn't want a HA studio with youngsters.

The kitchenette sinks are not low at OKW, unless the recent remodel changed that. You do lose storage in the bathroom, and the tub....but overall the HA units at OKW aren't terrible for adults. I wouldn't want a HA studio with youngsters.

Yes, the one at Boardwalk wasn’t quite as bad. And we were only at each for a night.

But I would recommend that if someone wants an accessible room, even if they aren’t officially handicapped, to ask for one at check in. Chances are there will be one, especially if they check in early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!