Booking DVC at the last minute

Karebear

DIS Veteran
So....we were supposed to be at Aulani and Maui last summer...cancelled obviously due to Covid. I had rented points for Aulani through the DVC Rental Store. Thankfully we bought insurance. We booked again for Spring Break 2021. By then, husband and I might have the vaccine (both work in education). I *think* that Hawaii might be taking the vaccine then in lieu of a negative Covid test. Problem is my two kiddos won't have the vaccine by then. I am nervous about them testing positive right before the trip. The cancellation policy on Aulani with rented points is 45 days before. I am thinking of cancelling and just booking somewhere else. If by some miracle my kids test negative and we get the results quickly, what are my chances of getting a last minute DVC rental at Aulani? Any tips would be appreciated!

Spring or summer pretty much impossible, October November is much easier. DVC is not intended for short notice booking.

Spring or summer pretty much impossible, October November is much easier. DVC is not intended for short notice booking.

Thanks...that is what I was figuring. I will probably just book somewhere else that I can cancel last minute. I would love Aulani but don't want to lose everything in case I don't get test results back in time or one of my kids test positive or something.

Thanks...that is what I was figuring. I will probably just book somewhere else that I can cancel last minute. I would love Aulani but don't want to lose everything in case I don't get test results back in time or one of my kids test positive or something.
Yes, we had Aulani booked for this coming June but cancelled due to all of the uncertainty. Another year, maybe.

Well, it depends on whether people have points expiring and are making spec reservations or whether the brokers also have reservations that others aren’t able to go to....

So....we were supposed to be at Aulani and Maui last summer...cancelled obviously due to Covid. I had rented points for Aulani through the DVC Rental Store. Thankfully we bought insurance. We booked again for Spring Break 2021. By then, husband and I might have the vaccine (both work in education). I *think* that Hawaii might be taking the vaccine then in lieu of a negative Covid test. Problem is my two kiddos won't have the vaccine by then. I am nervous about them testing positive right before the trip. The cancellation policy on Aulani with rented points is 45 days before. I am thinking of cancelling and just booking somewhere else. If by some miracle my kids test negative and we get the results quickly, what are my chances of getting a last minute DVC rental at Aulani? Any tips would be appreciated!

When is your spring break?

Government moves very sloooooooowly in Hawaii and I wouldn't count on the state accepting proof of vaccination in lieu of a test anytime soon. I wouldn't put much stock in what the LG says - he's smart and right about a lot of things, but he's a dreamer not a doer. He was in charge of implementing the testing program and look how long that took to start up.

Aulani would normally be busy during March and April, but only the DVC hotel rooms and standard view studios have spotty availability. Island and pool view studios have pretty good availability and oceanview rooms are available for all but a few nights during those two months. 1BR standard view studios are mostly booked, but the other views have lots of availability. I think you stand a decent chance of snagging a last minute room.

When is your spring break?

Government moves very sloooooooowly in Hawaii and I wouldn't count on the state accepting proof of vaccination in lieu of a test anytime soon. I wouldn't put much stock in what the LG says - he's smart and right about a lot of things, but he's a dreamer not a doer. He was in charge of implementing the testing program and look how long that took to start up.

Aulani would normally be busy during March and April, but only the DVC hotel rooms and standard view studios have spotty availability. Island and pool view studios have pretty good availability and oceanview rooms are available for all but a few nights during those two months. 1BR standard view studios are mostly booked, but the other views have lots of availability. I think you stand a decent chance of snagging a last minute room.

Thanks so much for the info! We have off the last couple of days of March and the first week of April. I think that I will just try to book last minute. I am hoping that virus numbers are down by then. It is really bad here in California right now, Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.

Alternatively, you could book Aulani as a cash reservation instead of a DVC rental. I believe they are running a special promotion for next spring and you could come close to what you were paying with renting points. Cash reservations could give you more control over your reservation and flexibility for last minute cancellation.

Personally, I would do a cash booking rather than renting DVC points as PP mentions. You may need to pay a bit more, but you'd be paying for the flexibility which would be well worth it to me. If you can get by without the DVC amenities, a hotel room may be a cheaper option for you as well. Otherwise, to do a last minute DVC booking, you'd need a lot of flexibility with dates, views, and room types. You may end up paying more if they only have large unit/good views available. And chances are you wouldn't be able to be flexible with your dates.

If your concern is just around testing positive, could you all quarantine for 10-14 days prior to leaving?

Personally, I would do a cash booking rather than renting DVC points as PP mentions. You may need to pay a bit more, but you'd be paying for the flexibility which would be well worth it to me. If you can get by without the DVC amenities, a hotel room may be a cheaper option for you as well. Otherwise, to do a last minute DVC booking, you'd need a lot of flexibility with dates, views, and room types. You may end up paying more if they only have large unit/good views available. And chances are you wouldn't be able to be flexible with your dates.

If your concern is just around testing positive, could you all quarantine for 10-14 days prior to leaving?

Thanks so much for the input. Unfortunately there aren't any deals for our time frame (Easter week). For 3 nights, a cash hotel room is pricing out at $900 more than the DVC rental. My kids school is in person...there is not a distant learning model, so no option to quarantine before we leave. I am just going to cancel and book a hotel in Waikiki that I can cancel last minute. We are only there for 3 nights before we move to Maui. Hopefully in the future I can book something for Aulani :-)

Thanks so much for the input. Unfortunately there aren't any deals for our time frame (Easter week). For 3 nights, a cash hotel room is pricing out at $900 more than the DVC rental. My kids school is in person...there is not a distant learning model, so no option to quarantine before we leave. I am just going to cancel and book a hotel in Waikiki that I can cancel last minute. We are only there for 3 nights before we move to Maui. Hopefully in the future I can book something for Aulani :-)

I'm pretty sure right now if you go from Oahu to Maui you will need to test again but if you start in Maui you wouldn't have to.

I'm pretty sure right now if you go from Oahu to Maui you will need to test again but if you start in Maui you wouldn't have to.
We had friends who did their testing, went to Maui for three days, then got on a plane to Big Island. On arrival, they were told they had to quarantine, as their 72 hours had expired (didn't realize there was a testing requirement for inter-island travel). They were like, okay, we'll go back to Maui. Nope, couldn't do that because they'd left Maui. So the head of security at the airport told them they could fly to Oahu because the Honolulu airport allows a 7-day window from the negative results. So, a rather expensive option, but they flew there and got a last minute booking at a Waikiki. Still better than flying home instead.

We had friends who did their testing, went to Maui for three days, then got on a plane to Big Island. On arrival, they were told they had to quarantine, as their 72 hours had expired (didn't realize there was a testing requirement for inter-island travel). They were like, okay, we'll go back to Maui. Nope, couldn't do that because they'd left Maui. So the head of security at the airport told them they could fly to Oahu because the Honolulu airport allows a 7-day window from the negative results. So, a rather expensive option, but they flew there and got a last minute booking at a Waikiki. Still better than flying home instead.

Darn I thought that I had read that there was no inter-island testing requirements...obviously not! OK, at this point it is looking like we are just doing Maui as I can't change our condo dates. Thanks for the heads up!

With only 3 nights, Waikiki is a better area to be in anyhow. More going on, more in walking distance, less commute times to different places you may want to check out. Ko Olina, where Aulani is located, is a bit isolated and the only way to get there is the highway.

FWIW, you could always make a dinner reservation at Ama Ama or Makahiki (assuming both are open) at Aulani one night if you wanted to check it out. Anyone is free to shop at or dine on property, you just can't use the pool or do character meets. There's also the spa and luau that anyone can book (guest or not), though I haven't been following what's open.

Darn I thought that I had read that there was no inter-island testing requirements...obviously not! OK, at this point it is looking like we are just doing Maui as I can't change our condo dates. Thanks for the heads up!

Two possibilities:
1) get tested. There are testing sites on Oahu, so you'd go through the same procedure you went through to travel from the mainland. A bit pricy and perhaps inconvenient, but it's what we plan to do.
2) change your flights. If you can't change your condo dates, change your flights so that you go to Maui on your original dates, and Oahu afterwards.

We are hoping to do Big Island, Maui, and Oahu this summer, so I've been researching travel policies today. It looks like Oahu is the only area that does not have any inter-island quarantine requirements (DH was the one who told me our friends could go to Oahu because they were within 7 days from their mainland test, but I think he was mistaken because I haven't found that anywhere).

DH wanted to go to Kauai this trip, but as of Dec 2, it has "temporarily" stopped allowing testing, and all travelers from anywhere must do the full quarantine, so that's out. The other islands have testing-in-lieu of quarantine that are basically the same as when you come from the mainland. You can even do a Vault test there if you don't want to test in person at a clinic.

Of course, all this is what I've found as of January 3, 2021. Anything could change in the coming months. Personally, I'm hoping I'll be able to opt out of both quarantine and testing with proof of vaccination, but the kids probably won't have the option to get vaxed before the fall.

Two possibilities:
1) get tested. There are testing sites on Oahu, so you'd go through the same procedure you went through to travel from the mainland. A bit pricy and perhaps inconvenient, but it's what we plan to do.
2) change your flights. If you can't change your condo dates, change your flights so that you go to Maui on your original dates, and Oahu afterwards.

We are hoping to do Big Island, Maui, and Oahu this summer, so I've been researching travel policies today. It looks like Oahu is the only area that does not have any inter-island quarantine requirements (DH was the one who told me our friends could go to Oahu because they were within 7 days from their mainland test, but I think he was mistaken because I haven't found that anywhere).

DH wanted to go to Kauai this trip, but as of Dec 2, it has "temporarily" stopped allowing testing, and all travelers from anywhere must do the full quarantine, so that's out. The other islands have testing-in-lieu of quarantine that are basically the same as when you come from the mainland. You can even do a Vault test there if you don't want to test in person at a clinic.

Of course, all this is what I've found as of January 3, 2021. Anything could change in the coming months. Personally, I'm hoping I'll be able to opt out of both quarantine and testing with proof of vaccination, but the kids probably won't have the option to get vaxed before the fall.

Good news - Kauai will be rejoining the testing program so you night be able to visit. The bad news is that they can and will pull out at a moment’s notice if their 9 ICU beds start to fill up or if the counts get too high.

Good news - Kauai will be rejoining the testing program so you night be able to visit. The bad news is that they can and will pull out at a moment’s notice if their 9 ICU beds start to fill up or if the counts get too high.

That is good news, mostly because it means their COVID numbers are under control (and my colleagues and I are ridiculously burned out here because ours are not). Only 9 ICU beds doesn't give much wiggle room, so I get their reasoning. It's probably too tenuous a situation for me to feel comfortable planning a visit this year, but on the bright side, it gives me a good reason to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter