Both Big Island and Oahu?

Shadowfan

Earning My Ears
I am creating an itinerary for a possible summer 2019 Hawaii trip. The travel party is DH, DD12, DS9, and myself. We’d be coming from Cleveland, no direct flights. I like being busy on vacation but my husband likes to take it easy, so balancing the two is great. Here’s my plan-
Day One: travel Cle to Kona on the Big Island.
Day Two: Helicopter/hiking tour of the Big Island (10 hour tour by Hawaii Forest and Trail)
Day Three: Beach and resort day on Big Island
Day Four: AM travel from Kona to Honolulu, have lunch & drive to Diamond Head for afternoon hike. After hike drive to and check in at Aulani
Day Five: Enjoy Aulani & amenities on site
Day Six: see Pearl Harbor & related sites in the area
Day Seven: Relax day at Aulani
Day Eight: Travel back to Cleveland

It would be 7 nights, unless I could persuade DH for one more!

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks in advance

I like that you have two whole days at Aulani. But if there's any way you can add a few more days, I would. You're not seeing much of either island.

I'm guessing your helo tour lets you see the lava, and I do think that's a great way to see it. But I'd want at least one more day to see at least something else too.

Diamond Head gives you awesome views of the coast and the city, and I think that's a great use of a travel day. But with a PH day also, you're really just seeing the city and Aulani, none of the pretty parts of Oahu. I'd add at least a day for a beach with waves (Kailua or the north shore maybe); Aulani won't have any. Plus, snorkeling was one of our favorite parts of the trip, so I definitely recommend a half day at Hanauma Bay (which you could do after PH if you go early).

It's a LONG way from Cleveland; I'd stay longer if at all possible.

You don’t have enough time. Maybe you can do a day trip over from Oahu to see the volcanoes, but seven days is not enough.

So at least two more days on Oahu? I would gladly stay longer! Not sure if I can persuade DH. . . .

We did similar last year and could only do 8 nights total due to school schedules - so started with 2 nights on the Big Island to see Volcanoes NP, then 2 nights in Waikiki, then 4 nights at Aulani. We did Pearl Harbor on our way the day we moved from Waikiki to Aulani. We skipped Diamond Head because we hiked on the Big Island, and were more interested in seeing other areas of Oahu. We spent one day doing Kailua and Kualoa Ranch. That day was probably the most beautiful scenery the whole trip. we planned to go to North Shore but enjoyed Aulani so much we never got around to it.

We flew from MI and that first day of flights and connections was incredibly long. We basically ate dinner and went to bed. Everyone said it wasn't worth trying to see 2 islands in such a short trip but we don't regret it because seeing Volcanoes was really important to us.

Thank you for your input. I see that Oahu really does have so many amazing things to see and do. VNP is still something I'd love to include, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter