Bought in the 1990s and it has worked out perfectly

I brought in 1993 - after being talked out of it in 1992 - then took everyone on a vacation to POR - had to pay for 3 rooms and 6 tickets plus all the meals - when I came back home and added up the price - it was silly. In the next mail DVC wrote me to stay that they had lower the points needed - so call them and nobody talked me out this time.

that was back when we got free tickets - it was wonderfully!!!

now recently sold OKW to get BLT - so lost half my points doing that - and now since I live close to WDW giving the points that I have to family. and boy is that hurting - but they will use them.

that say I have kept a few points and will be at BLT this Dec!!!! love WDW during Dec. We had done Dec before buying DVC but it always feels better to come home to a studio/1-2-3 bedrooms, than a hotel room
Yes, we were already traveling to WDW yearly, since we lived only 3 hours away. So we could see that spending money now would get us much better accommodations down the road. For us, it was never about staying in studios. We could also see the deals getting fewer and fewer. We snagged $99 deals at the Beach Club and Vero Beach when they first opened. What do those rooms go for now?

We could have kept doing the Days Inn thing, but we were growing beyond that. We had two steady jobs, no kids, so even financing felt like a good deal. We had a sense to get in and get it paid for, without touching our savings. We simply put off a car purchase and paid if off more quickly. ANd we shifted the money from other vacations and just focused on WDW during that period.

Owning DVC really came in handy when we shifted down to 1.5 incomes after our son was born. We were able to keep taking much better vacations than we would have otherwise.

For us, keeping below the 10 grand mark was key when we first bought. I know an earlier PP brought up how much it costs relative to today's values, but we actually made more money back then. So we're glad we didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger immediately.

Didn't realize that the price per point steadily increases. Just reviewed what we paid vs what it costs now, and some of our contracts went up 40-70%. woa

We bought in '93.
As all PP are stating it is a great investment; I could sell now and more than double my money even after 25 years of vacations. Aren't timeshares suppose to go down in value (LOL).
We paid for all our points in cash, use them how we want even offsite, as that is what we want to do that year.
Being free to enjoy all the resorts and offsite locations has allowed us to vacation in ways we could not of done so without DVC. We would not pay to go to some places(IE: DCL, Asheville, Ft. Lauderdale, etc) that we have done.
The family and friends that we have treated to vacations is still a great value points usage especially for gifting (Parents - anniversary trips, Adult Kids - trips with DGKs and family vacations, Friends - get away that they could not afford on their on, etc).

Never consider a timeshare an investment. Like a new car, they are worth less once you sign on the dotted line. So far DVC has been the exception.

Picture this -- If, on October 1, 1991, you purchased 250 points at $51/point for $12,750

Instead if you took the same $12,750 and invested in Disney stock (assuming dividends are re-invested), you would have over $190,000 today

That would pay for some really nice vacations

Wow. Just looking at today's room prices, DVC could not have worked out more perfectly for my family. I had not kept track of how much they had lept. Crazy.

We bought before kids, financed but paid it off quickly. We knew once we toured the rooms at Vero, Old Key West and Boardwalk that we were ready to move up from Days Inn rooms on 192 to regularly staying on site. We did not hesitate because we understood the prices would only be going up at that point. We caught the point where they had cut the minimum purchase to 150 points.

We have treated friends and family members to wonderful accommodations, one if the nicest perks of membership. And now the park pass deals and member events are a terrific bomus and well timed for our lives.

It is always hard to say how it will all be going forward. We have been disappointed by some of the changes. But the program and benefits so far have been very worth it.
I also bought in the 90's. Pre-kid and only after one trip to WDW where we stayed at All Star Music. Ironically, ASMu is my least favorite resort but it had enough Disney magic to throw some pixie dust in our eyes and buy into DVC.

We bought OKW on the resale market for $55 per point and had two years of free park passes grandfathered in. We sold it for $77 per point in 2007. I calculated our cost (not counting time value of money) of our vacations using those points was $2.34 per point. $355 for a week in a studio over Christmas? Yes please!

We also bought BWV in 2002 for $65 per point resale and AKV for $93 from Disney. We still have both contracts.

Bought in 1993. No regrets at all. Most importantly, DVC helped insure that we took a vacation every year and they turned out to be great. I firmly believe without DVC there would have been years with no vacation. Would’ve been lost time that could never be gained back.

Wow. Just looking at today's room prices, DVC could not have worked out more perfectly for my family. I had not kept track of how much they had lept. Crazy.

We bought before kids, financed but paid it off quickly. We knew once we toured the rooms at Vero, Old Key West and Boardwalk that we were ready to move up from Days Inn rooms on 192 to regularly staying on site. We did not hesitate because we understood the prices would only be going up at that point. We caught the point where they had cut the minimum purchase to 150 points.

We have treated friends and family members to wonderful accommodations, one if the nicest perks of membership. And now the park pass deals and member events are a terrific bomus and well timed for our lives.

It is always hard to say how it will all be going forward. We have been disappointed by some of the changes. But the program and benefits so far have been very worth it.
I noticed some of the responses saying with the new prices for DVC they could never afford it. One person bought in 1992 for roughly $12,000. That was a lot of $ back then, that was like a car purchase. I just passed ROFR on a BCV contract that’s going to cost $23,200. That’s not a new car price today but good used vehicle. I crunched the numbers and at my by in price, it’s still going to cut a room stay in half. In a couple years when my kids are older I might buy in somewhere with a longer contract. Longer contracts really cut your cost per stay down. So I guess my questions to everyone are, although buying in at poly before it sold out or at copper creek is expensive compared to what OKW and others were isn’t it comparable to today’s prices of everything? And do you think at some point with new hotels going up every year on and off property room prices at Disney will have to slow their rate of price increases? I might be buying in near the top of a bubble, but it’s still going to save me money. I know eventually there will be buy ins at $275 and $300 but with more and more hotels available that should keep prices down for now. Thank you to anyone that shares their thoughts.

Never consider a timeshare an investment. Like a new car, they are worth less once you sign on the dotted line. So far DVC has been the exception.

Picture this -- If, on October 1, 1991, you purchased 250 points at $51/point for $12,750

Instead if you took the same $12,750 and invested in Disney stock (assuming dividends are re-invested), you would have over $190,000 today

That would pay for some really nice vacations
Never played the stock market and never will - do not trust the up and downs.

We bought 230 points at Disney's Vacation Club Resort in March 1992 for $11,730 -- $51 per point after touring in November 1991. We could never afford to stay on-site, so DVC allowed us to do that. It has been the best purchase our family has ever made. Our kids (now 31 and 23) still LOVE Disney, and the grandsons are not far behind!!! What a legacy of experiences we have had --- and the memories continue, from a Beach Cottage at Vero last summer to BLT this August for all 8 of us. And lots of shorter stays in between.

We now own a house in Orlando, 21 minutes from the Epcot parking lot, but have not sold any of our points, and can't foresee us doing so. I will be retiring in 38 days, and new and different experiences lie ahead. I think I'll take DVC along for the ride.........

Oh, and while I may have had $190K if I had put it all in Disney stock, I would have $0 if I put it in Enron stock. I believe its more about experiences than stuff and our family talks about and remembers our Disney/DVC trips more than any birthday or Christmas present.

mac_tlc

We bought 230 points at Disney's Vacation Club Resort in March 1992 for $11,730 -- $51 per point after touring in November 1991. We could never afford to stay on-site, so DVC allowed us to do that. It has been the best purchase our family has ever made. Our kids (now 31 and 23) still LOVE Disney, and the grandsons are not far behind!!! What a legacy of experiences we have had --- and the memories continue, from a Beach Cottage at Vero last summer to BLT this August for all 8 of us. And lots of shorter stays in between.

We now own a house in Orlando, 21 minutes from the Epcot parking lot, but have not sold any of our points, and can't foresee us doing so. I will be retiring in 38 days, and new and different experiences lie ahead. I think I'll take DVC along for the ride.........

Oh, and while I may have had $190K if I had put it all in Disney stock, I would have $0 if I put it in Enron stock. I believe its more about experiences than stuff and our family talks about and remembers our Disney/DVC trips more than any birthday or Christmas present.

mac_tlc

Love this. Uber jealous over the retiring in 38 days. Wishing you a long, happy and health retirement.

... Oh, and while I may have had $190K if I had put it all in Disney stock, I would have $0 if I put it in Enron stock. I believe its more about experiences than stuff and our family talks about and remembers our Disney/DVC trips more than any birthday or Christmas present.

mac_tlc
Ditto - you said it better than I did.

Never played the stock market and never will - do not trust the up and downs.

We bought in in 2005. If we hadn't we would not have taken anywhere near the vacations we have. I'm too cheap, and just wouldn't spend that amount of money on a hotel room. Our DVC was paid in cash, and my dh takes care of the maintenance fees so I don't see them whereas I plan vacations, and I would see how much the single hotel room would be. DVC gets us a bedroom, or two along with the kitchen and living room. That makes for a much more enjoyable vacation experience for me. 500 points will come in handy now that we have a granddaughter to splurge on. Can't wait to see her in that princess dress!

I think my parents purchased our 235 points at OKW (then just DVC Resort! Ha) for about $12,000 in March 1993. Paid in full at the time.

My mom died in 2011 and my dad transferred the deed to me and my sister about 5 years ago. We've used the points every single year since 1993. No way we could've afforded to stay in deluxes all those years without the DVC. I love it so much.

We bought in 1993 and we felt it was the best investment we have ever made. We were able to give our sons their honeymoons, one went to Antigua and the other stayed at the Polynesian with a room on the lagoon. We have been taking family trips every year with our children and grandchildren. So many great memories and so much fun. Our oldest grandchild just graduated from college and we are going in August and celebrating her graduation.

Its worked well for us as well.

But I would caution anyone considering it now and looking at this thread as "it always works out" justification to keep in mind that all those people it hasn't worked out for aren't on the DVC Disboards. This board is a self selecting group for whom DVC is a good (and in most cases great) fit.

We bought in March of '92 as well. Have never had any regrets and have added on two small add-ons over the years. When we went to Disney, before then, we would go with family all the time and had stayed in the Treehouses and LBV Vacation villas. Disney Vacation Club Resort (as it was called) was a good fit for us. Just got back from a 10 night stay in a two bedroom unit. Could not have afforded to stay there for that long at rack rate. The free park tickets for 8 years almost paid for the cost of buy in, so we felt we got a great deal.

I noticed some of the responses saying with the new prices for DVC they could never afford it. One person bought in 1992 for roughly $12,000. That was a lot of $ back then, that was like a car purchase. I just passed ROFR on a BCV contract that’s going to cost $23,200.

Keep in mind the 12K in '92 got you 230 points. That was the minimum buy-in then. Also, that 12K got you 8 years of free Disney park passes for your party, based on room type. It was a fantastic deal then, but they were trying to get over the bad reputations time shares had in the 70s and 80s.

Its worked well for us as well.

But I would caution anyone considering it now and looking at this thread as "it always works out" justification to keep in mind that all those people it hasn't worked out for aren't on the DVC Disboards. This board is a self selecting group for whom DVC is a good (and in most cases great) fit.

When I was thinking about buying in 93, a lovely man - lawyer from Illinois with 4 children (#3 was twins) that I still hope to find - wrote me a heartfelt note letting me know that it wasn't for anyone - he understood that it was a bad decision for me - and it is a fluke that it worked out. So I second the caution - it really is a big investment overall.

When I was thinking about buying in 93, a lovely man - lawyer from Illinois with 4 children (#3 was twins) that I still hope to find - wrote me a heartfelt note letting me know that it wasn't for anyone - he understood that it was a bad decision for me - and it is a fluke that it worked out. So I second the caution - it really is a big investment overall.

I always say it worked out great for us, but had we bought earlier than we bought, it would have been a horrifying millstone that would have cost us thousands - and spoiled Disney for us forever. A lot of people wish they'd have bought earlier - I am so very happy I bought when I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!