Braces : a real need,or dental rip-off?

I haven't read everyones replies but for 5000 I would definately get a few more opinions....My poor DS had the worst mouth!...very narrow mouth, crooked teeth...poor guy...I got 4 quotes from 3500 to 5000....I went for the one in the middle....6 months later I can't believe how much his teeth have moved...he also just had 4 teeth pulled on Friday and was up and around wanting to go out the next morning!...
I do think it is worth it.

Holycow

Funny you posted this today, as I wonder about this issue of braces being always necessary, too. In my area, almost no child escapes childhood without braces. It is <b>NEVER</b> questioned here - every child gets years of othodonics, it is expected and accepted. Most start getting treatments at age 7. I know first graders in braces. I swear, every kid has something in their mouths by third grade, whether braces, retainers, or the ever-growing-more-popular palate expander. More and more kids are getting braces twice, like another poster said.

I think (here in my affluent area) the attitude is that if you don't get years of orthodontic work for your children, you are a neglectful parent dooming your child to a life of disavantage. :rolleyes: I think also the attitude is that no matter how straight a kid's teeth come in, years of orthodontics can make the teeth look even better.

As for your son, IMHO definately get the braces, no matter what the cost. The orthodonists have won the war on this issue - everyone HAS to have straight attractive teeth, no questions asked.

Thanks for all the replies,and I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner(limited time I can use the computer).

My son (10 yrd. old) has straight teeth,but the dentist says they are crowded(I don't see it,but I guess I'm not a "professional").

He was referred to an orthodontist by our regular guy, but not for braces.He needed a space maintainer for about the last 3-4 years(had a tooth pulled VERY young).

I think I will get a second opinion,it's just the next nearest ortho is 45 minutes away(I'm guessing that's why this guy can charge whatever he wants :rolleyes: ).

I was supposed to need braces as a child too (overbite),never got them and I turned out well adjusted...well mostly,but I don't know that I can blame that on no braces :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter