"brat pack of the 80's"

caribbound

DIS Veteran
I finally remembered the title of the movie from the genre we were discussing tonight in my Christmas room, but couldn't for the life of me dance a name good enough for anyone (much less Peasy in her pre-b-day state of mind :rotfl2: ) to know what i was talking about. So here it is:

St. Elmo's Fire, released in 1985, was one of the defining movies of the 1980s brat pack genre. Its major stars, slick editing and production and its soundtrack made it a financial (although not a critical) success.

This coming-of-age film revolves around a group of friends that have just graduated from Georgetown University and their adjustment to their post-university lives, the quarter-life crisis, and the responsibilities of encroaching adulthood.

This film was significant to me not in that it was my favorite of the Brat Pack, but because it was with high school friends the summer before we headed off to college! A good memory indeed of a warm summer night.

For the reminiscing of those who were singing from the era (nvm Grumpy's side-track to hippiedom), here is the full list:

Brat Pack (movies)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Brat Pack" was the generic name given by the press to a group of young actors and actresses that became famous in the 1980s and frequently appeared together in teen-oriented films. The name "Brat Pack" came from a 1985 cover story in New York Magazine by David Blum (June 10, 1985, pp. 40-47). The term is a play on the Rat Pack from the 1960s. Popular films that featured members of the "Brat Pack" include:

Class (1983)
The Outsiders (1983)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)
Weird Science (1985)
About Last Night (1986)
Pretty in Pink (1986)
The Lost Boys (1987)

The eight people most commonly included in the Brat Pack are:

Emilio Estevez
Anthony Michael Hall
Rob Lowe
Andrew McCarthy
Demi Moore
Judd Nelson
Molly Ringwald (she has the hots for short guys in pointy hats I hear) :rolleyes1
Ally Sheedy

Other actors who appeared in films with the Brat Pack could be considered auxiliary members of the Pack:

Kevin Bacon
Matthew Broderick
Tom Cruise
Jon Cryer
John Cusack
Matt Dillon
Robert Downey, Jr.
Jami Gertz
Melissa Gilbert
Jennifer Grey
C. Thomas Howell
Diane Lane
Mary Stuart Masterson
Elizabeth McGovern
Charlie Sheen
James Spader
Kiefer Sutherland
Patrick Swayze
Lea Thompson
Eric Stoltz
Mare Winningham

Frequent directors of Brat Pack films were:

John Hughes
Joel Schumacher

Say in it All most Fire? ;)

I'm a Brat Pack Gen X girl, too. 1985 was smack dab in the middle of
my high school years, and it drove me crazy to see "The Wedding Singer",
as some of the songs were popular AFTER 1985. It was ananchronistic for
me to watch, but I did like the movie overall.

Say in it All most Fire? ;)

I'm a Brat Pack Gen X girl, too. 1985 was smack dab in the middle of
my high school years, and it drove me crazy to see "The Wedding Singer",
as some of the songs were popular AFTER 1985. It was ananchronistic for
me to watch, but I did like the movie overall.

Yes! I was saying Ant .. Fire and getting nowhere, but Ant Almost Fire might have done it. Too bad Elmo isn't a disney character, lol. Couldn't remember how ppl say tickle.

Now I may have to watch theWedding Singer again! :rotfl: Not to mention look up ananchronistic. heh:upsidedow

That was SO fun... I woke up with "Eye of the Tiger" in my head this morning and thought of you all and laughed...

I think I watched The Breakfast Club at least 1,000 on VHS... and Ferris Bueller's Day off.

"You're Abe Froman? The sausage king of Chicago?"

The Scary or maybe sad thing is i know almost all the songs from those movies AND how to dance around the words on VMK

oh I'm just not sure it gets much better than The Breakfast Club.

"We accept that what we did was wrong, but we thing for you to ask us to tell you who we think we are is ridiculous. We know who we are."

It's just a great movie.

As for dancing: Say.ant All.most Fire or Say.ant All.more.is Fire or Say.ant All.me.oh Fire

And gotta love tic.all tic.all! One of our favorite dances. :cool1:

"Sincerely yours,
The Breakfast Club"

Just LOVE it1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter