Breaking news-Travelers flying from New York to Florida will be placed under 14-day quarantine,

Saratoga2019

Earning My Ears
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ed-under-14-day-quarantine-gov-desantis-says/
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said in a news conference Monday anyone flying from New York to Florida will be placed under mandatory 14-day quarantine, saying again that he does not have plans to place the state under a shelter-in-place due to coronavirus.
DeSantis said he and other state officials worked to follow every guideline from the Centers for Disease Control and implemented a three-step strategy.

“The first was to stop the introduction of the virus into the state of Florida, number two, we had to protect the elderly,” DeSantis said. “Number three, we wanted to expand access to testing.”
The governor also responded to questions regarding why Florida had not been placed under the shelter-in-place condition as is being done in places like New York.
“I think given our circumstances, that it would not be advisable,” DeSantis said. “It would be a very blunt instrument. When you order people to shelter-in-place, you are consigning probably hundreds of thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs, you’re throwing their lives into potential disarray. If you look at Florida’s situation right now this is not a virus that’s impacting every corner of the state, we have 20 counties that have zero cases.”

In a briefing in The Villages earlier the same day, DeSantis said that when New York went into shelter-in-place provisions, many people left and traveled to Florida.
“Today there are over 190 direct flights from the New York City area to Florida,” DeSantis said. “I would reckon given the outbreak there that every single flight has someone on it that is positive for COVID-19, and so as we’re working to stop it in the state of Florida.”

DeSantis said that since the federal government had not put any domestic travel restrictions into place, Florida would take the initiative.
“If the federal government is not going to do any restrictions on domestic flights, what we’re going to do in Florida, and I’ll be issuing an executive order, anybody traveling from that region, New York, New Jersey, is going to have to do a mandatory 14-day self-isolation,” DeSantis said. That’s the only way we can be sure that the virus is not going to be reintroduced into Florida and spread."
Gov. DeSantis said local law enforcement, state law enforcement, and health officials will meet travelers on their flights from New York and New Jersey to conduct temperature checks.
They’ll be told you need to self-quarantine," Gov. DeSantis said. “If they’re told they’re staying with family - that’s not self-quarantining.”

Interesting, and in theory a good idea.

Part of my confusion may just be the weak reporting in the story, but I'm wondering about the enforcement....and who's covered.

If I live in Florida, but have to go to New York for a critical meeting -- I come home to a 14-day confinement?

Or...I'm flying from New York to Buenos Aires, but I have a layover in Miami. I have to stay 14 days? And with all the hotels closed?

This makes no sense to me. Especially that it includes NJ where I live. We have 1 case in my town, 50 in the entire county. But they are going to quarantine us and not other states with higher numbers? And what does that mean can't stay with family? This doesn't seem enforceable.

Not to mention Orlando has 4 positive cases of their TSA agents already. So it's not like they are protecting a covid-19 free area.

Interesting, and in theory a good idea.

Part of my confusion may just be the weak reporting in the story, but I'm wondering about the enforcement....and who's covered.

If I live in Florida, but have to go to New York for a critical meeting -- I come home to a 14-day confinement?

Or...I'm flying from New York to Buenos Aires, but I have a layover in Miami. I have to stay 14 days? And with all the hotels closed?

It sounds like anyone on those flights period. My boyfriend is supposed to be flying here next weekend (NJ) He's helping me with home renovations and only staying for 2 nights. Our state is pretty much closed down so aside from flying into a tiny airport he's only going to be around me for 3 days, but then what happens when he returns? He can't go to work for 2 weeks?

It sounds like anyone on those flights period. My boyfriend is supposed to be flying here next weekend (NJ) He's helping me with home renovations and only staying for 2 nights. Our state is pretty much closed down so aside from flying into a tiny airport he's only going to be around me for 3 days, but then what happens when he returns? He can't go to work for 2 weeks?
I don't think it's actually quite that Draconian.

I think what they are really going to do is just screen flights coming in from those areas, check passengers who meet certain criteria, and then tell them to self-quarantine if they are symptomatic.

I think a lot of the issue here has more to do with sloppy reporting than governmental craziness. But it does sound...um, unusual...

Why are people coming here right now any way? Why aren't they staying put in their own home in their own state, especially since those specified have "stay home" orders? It's mystifying that folks are still coming here despite all our Governor's efforts to minimize the appeal - everything's closed, please stay home in your own state for now & minimize the infection spread!

Yet another reason this makes no sense.

I'm also guessing if I drive or take the train I don't need to quarantine since it only mentions flights.

Right. Are they gonna pull you over as you drive across the Florida border? In the meantime, thousands of kids who just left the beaches the governor didn’t bother to close are bringing the virus all over the country.

This makes no sense to me. Especially that it includes NJ where I live. We have 1 case in my town, 50 in the entire county.
Oh, i think it includes NJ and CT to stop those devious New Yorkers from pretending to be not from New York.

I’ve seen other wording that suggests it only applies to the NYC area airports :confused3 Who knows.

I live in upstate NY and this is not applicable to us. Our news here has stated it only applies to the tri-state area, and that term usually implies NYC, CT, NJ. Its very common for those in NYC to use airports in CT and NJ, so I imagine they'd have to include that for it to have some element of effectiveness. I am curious on the logistics though - many flights would have layovers elsewhere, so how would they know where you're originating? Are there going to be checkpoints at the Florida airports?

I don't see how this will be enforced except at airports and from what we have seen airports are empty now. Another thing that crossed my mind last week was seeing the Florida beaches packed. Those people more than likely returned to states other than Florida so didn't they also help with this spread?

I think a lot of the issue here has more to do with sloppy reporting than governmental craziness. But it does sound...um, unusual...
I'd agree, except here in Washington State our Governor has been shooting by the hip and then days later he gives the details. Such as closing all the restaurant and bars, then saying its for 2 weeks and more info. Details matter in this day and age.

Why are people coming here right now any way? Why aren't they staying put in their own home in their own state, especially since those specified have "stay home" orders? It's mystifying that folks are still coming here despite all our Governor's efforts to minimize the appeal - everything's closed, please stay home in your own state for now & minimize the infection spread!

A lot of us have family in Florida that we visit regularly.

I don't think it's actually quite that Draconian.

I think what they are really going to do is just screen flights coming in from those areas, check passengers who meet certain criteria, and then tell them to self-quarantine if they are symptomatic.

You may be right. It mentioned something about taking temperatures, but then it just made it sound like everyone would have to self isolate. If it's only those who are found to be symptomatic that would make a little more sense.

I think it's a good move, but how are you going to monitor vehicle traffic into Florida? Governor DeSantis makes a valid point that it is likely at least 1 passenger on those direct flights has the virus.

What good is it having us in Florida abide by the guidelines, only to have an influx from areas that are under a lockdown?

You may be right. It mentioned something about taking temperatures, but then it just made it sound like everyone would have to self isolate. If it's only those who are found to be symptomatic that would make a little more sense.
That actually doesn't make sense as asymptomatic people are still contagious and there's no way of checking them to find out if they're infected.

Anyway, nearly all domestic US flights might be shut down soon, so this could be moot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter