• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Brightline to MCO review

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
Arrived in Fort Lauderdale on a cruise and took Brightline to MCO. Hadn’t seen any reviews about Brightline to MCO so thought I’d post!

I’d never taken Brightline before. Watched for discounts before my trip, the only thing that came up was buy 4+ tickets get 25% off so that’s what our group used. Our 11am ish train was the more expensive one for the day, cost about $400 total for our group of 4 (including the 25% off discount and $25/ea checked bags). We used a Capital One Venture X and applied our bonus points to cover the cost as Brightline coded as Travel. Cost wise renting a car would have been cheaper but we specifically didn’t want to drive.

Uber from the cruise port to the Brightline Station took about 20 mins due to a freeway connection being closed and traffic. The process of checking in and security was very easy for us newbies, every customer service agent was nice, and the FLL station was clean and beat the living daylights out of the CA Amtrak’s You Will Probably Be Mugged So Just Accept It Train Stations I’m used to. We could have made the train to Orlando that came at 10 something but I am happy we did the 11 something as it allowed us to have a leisurely departure from our ship. Ride to MCO was about 3 hours, we had our own table via pre-assigned seats. If prone to motion sickness do take your meds, the ride wasn’t crazy or anything but there is the typical train shake.

Train arrived at Terminal C in MCO. Their area didn’t appear to really interact with the airport ops portion. The luggage retrieval was a bit confusing, you retrieve it basically at the customer service counter near security. We took a rideshare to Universal easily after getting our bags, rideshare area was quiet and maybe only for Brightline.

I would use Brightline to MCO again if the need pops up but keep in mind it probably isn’t the most cost efficient method, especially if you need to check luggage. I look forward to the connection from MCO to the Universal area coming in the future if their recent court loss to Virgin doesn’t bankrupt them into oblivion.

Thank you for the great review. I think the cost needs to come down a lot before we consider using the connection. It is sad because in the EU you can go from Amsterdam to Paris for 35 Euro. This is more inline with Japan which charges $160 one way from Nagoya to Tokyo

Thanks for the review. We are doing the opposite and doing 2 days at WDW and then a cruise from Miami and taking Brightline there.

Quick Brightline baggage question if you know or noticed.

Our plan is to have 1 big bag each, 1 backpack each (like the size you would use at the park), and possibly one airline carryon size bag. We were not planning on checking our bags. Do they count the backpacks to you carryon allowance?
It says "Additional small personal items needed for the duration of the trip may be carried on the train and will not count toward the carry-on allowance." But they are not clear as to what small means. Did you find it wort checking your bags?

TIA

I checked my 26" bag and carried on a carry-on size bag and a tote. I'd say you'll probably be okay not checking the large bags. People were taking a lot on the train and I didn't see anyone counting. There is luggage space near the doors for larger bags, overhead storage at the seats, and under seat storage.

Did you find it wort checking your bags?

TIA
I was happy not have to schlep my large bag around or worry about someone walking off with it every time the train stopped (I’m a worrier 🤣). I was also traveling with my older parents so not having to deal with them hauling their suitcases onto and off of a train was nice. I felt the charge was a bit steep but considering the airlines just upped their bag fees I guess I need to get with the times…

I’m taking the Brighline today. So far it’s been a great experience. I got on at a station that didn’t seem to have baggage check as an option so I just carried on my big suitcase and my 2 carryons. No one was counting or looking at bags as you get on. There was space to store my bag near the front of the car. I was traveling solo to MCO from the Ft. Lauderdale area so it was much cheaper and easier than renting a car.

I’m taking the Brighline today. So far it’s been a great experience. I got on at a station that didn’t seem to have baggage check as an option so I just carried on my big suitcase and my 2 carryons. No one was counting or looking at bags as you get on. There was space to store my bag near the front of the car. I was traveling solo to MCO from the Ft. Lauderdale area so it was much cheaper and easier than renting a car.
Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter