Bring back Osborne Spectacle of Lights but where?

barney 1314

Better than 1000 Psychiatrists.
My wife and I discussed the attractions that pulled at our heart strings the most and both agreed that the Osborne lights at Christmas was the one that done it for us and has never been topped. We love Christmas at Disney but feel there has been a void left behind since the Osborne lights ended.
I would hope the Disney brings them back and even though my first choice would be on Main street at Magic Kingdom, I'm thinking creating a brand new area at Hollywood studios or even Animal Kingdom would be a good option for the festive period and they could use the space for whatever they decide the other 8 months of the year.

I would do anything to see them again. They were our ‘must do’ every fall trip. We were beyond sad when they discontinued them. I completely understood why they couldn’t have them in their former location, but like you, we have discussed many times how we’d LOVE to see them somewhere else!!!!! Main Street would be beyond magical, but I’m sure they can’t do that because no one would be able to get in or out. I’m sure they can do it on a smaller scale, maybe on buildings throughout the park.... but I’m thinking if they haven’t done anything with them yet, it’s just a thing of the past at this point 🥺

Last edited:
The original lights were packed up and sent back a while ago. I saw a video of projections they did at DL. That would be a great addition for MK.

Its a tough one trying to find another location within the existing parks. The old Hollywood studios location was perfect. Building a replica somewhere might have to be the way to go.

I miss the Osborne lights as well :sad1: but since the lights are now back in the possession of the Osborne family seeing them again in WDW is just a pipe dream.

I miss the Osborne lights as well :sad1: but since the lights are now back in the possession of the Osborne family seeing them again in WDW is just a pipe dream.
I'm sure if the will was there from Disney to bring them back, they could make it happen. However my gut tells me you may be correct.

Not only this but the Osborne family has already sold most of the lights Displays, the globe and Santa and the tree and others.
That is sad to hear but I suppose it could still be done with Disney supplying their own lights. They would need to change the name of course but I could live with that.
It was the spectacular show I loved not so much who supplied the lights. Although the back story is very interesting.

View attachment 484387
That is sad to hear but I suppose it could still be done with Disney supplying their own lights. They would need to change the name of course but I could live with that.
It was the spectacular show I loved not so much who supplied the lights. Although the back story is very interesting.
A smaller replica between Rock 'n' roller coaster and Tower of terror would be just fine.

We think Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO must have successfully purchased the lights from the Osborne’s. Their Christmas display this last holiday was an explosion of additional lights with many familiar faces from what we enjoyed at Hollywood Studios.

We think Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO must have successfully purchased the lights from the Osborne’s. Their Christmas display this last holiday was an explosion of additional lights with many familiar faces from what we enjoyed at Hollywood Studios.

This is correct. They are now owned and displayed at Silver Dollar City. Words can't express HOW MUCH I miss the lights and how special they were to my BFF and me over the years.

I definitely miss those lights; by far my favorite holiday tradition at WDW! Like others have said, the lights were returned to the Osborne family and many of those lights have since been sold to Silver Dollar City. A while ago, there was some speculation of a smaller similar display being done somewhere at WDW as part of a collaboration with ABC’s The Great Christmas Light Fight. That never panned out.

I’d still love to see a big light display at WDW again even if it were done on a much smaller scale. I think they could do something really pretty, albeit very small, at the Grand Avenue section of DHS (both the little street by Baseline Taphouse and the courtyard by Muppets).

That said, as far as I know, there are no plans currently for any sort of new Christmas light display, and given the current economic situation, it wouldn’t surprise me if we see some cuts to this year’s holiday entertainment if anything.

I loved the Osborne Light show at Christmas. It was one of the highlights.
Currently, I don't see anywhere in WDW where you could put them if WDW still owned them. The streets of America was the perfect location and its gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!