Brother could use some advice re: bases

taximomfor4

<font color=purple>Needs a few Ricola drops<br><fo
My DB and SIL are trying to decide which base to put a request for. They are pretty much choosing either Gratin (sp?) (Connecticut) or near Seattle (WA).

They have 4 kids. They will likely buy a house off base in Seattle, or live on base in CT (Officer Housing).

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of either of these? Pros and Cons, especially as it relates to their schoolaged kids.

Beth

I guess it would depend on where "near Seattle" is. There are several bases out here and where in the area they are actually looking. Do you know what base they are considering out here?

I guess it would depend on where "near Seattle" is. There are several bases out here and where in the area they are actually looking. Do you know what base they are considering out here?

what are the names of them? Maybe I will remember when I see it. (Bad memory for names, lol). I know he is in nuclear sub school right now so is there more than one base for those?

Nuclear subs are out of Bangor I believe. That is actually by Bremerton or Silverdale on the other side of Puget Sound. I'm not sure if there are any nuclear subs on the Seattle side - someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. If it is Bangor, it's a pretty decent area. I had a friend who was on nuclear subs awhile ago.

The area itself is beautiful.

Nuclear subs are out of Bangor I believe. That is actually by Bremerton or Silverdale on the other side of Puget Sound. I'm not sure if there are any nuclear subs on the Seattle side - someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. If it is Bangor, it's a pretty decent area. I had a friend who was on nuclear subs awhile ago.

The area itself is beautiful.

Yep -- Bangor sounds familiar. He is worried because housing is hugely delayed, so they would probably just buy near there -- but houses in that area are super expensive in the decent neighborhoods or something like that.

Know anything about the Connecticut base? My SIL wanted that one, but brother wants WA because the deployment schedule is better for their family he thinks.

He is new to the Navy, was USMC for almost 10 yrs. He is also new to being an officer...

Any info appreciated!!

Where would he be moving from? Houses in Western Washington can be expensive but similar to larger metropolitan areas.

I haven't been over in that area for years so I can't help with neighborhoods and such.

I have no idea about the base in CT. I'm actually not millitary - I just noticed the heading and checked out the thread.:)

Well, thanks for the replies!

He had owned a house in central Ohio (near Columbus), while he was going to OSU. It was about $140k. It was a 3BR ranch with a full basement + family room. He thinks in Western WA, he'd need, for a decent suburban neighborhood, at least $250k, to get a similar house. Thats a big jump.

for CT, I bet they would end up staying on base. AFAIK, houses around CT are really expensive. No experience, though.

That sounds about right for that area housing wise. Would he get a housing allowance since he wouldn't be using base housing? Not sure how that works.

That sounds about right for that area housing wise. Would he get a housing allowance since he wouldn't be using base housing? Not sure how that works.
not much -- so he doesn't want to go there, thinking to buy a house, only to find that the decent neighborhoods are way more. Ie would have to save a decent downpayment.

Any school districts to avoid around there, that you know of?

BAH for an O-2 in that area is 1394-not an insignifigant amount.however the cost of living in general in that area is quiet high-not just housing.

I'm not familiar with the school districts in that area any more. You might want to ask on the community board. There are several people from Western WA. that might have more information.

Are they the same type of sub at both bases? I know some subs deploy a lot, some for short periods of time,etc. I'll talk w/some subwives I know about it. I'm at Pearl Harbor and there are a lot of subwives here.

Does it matter how close to family they are? CT would be closer to OH of course.

Personally I'd go with Bremerton. We are a Navy family but have never been stationed in WA or CT. Only Maine, Fla, Hawaii, Virginia and Italy, lol. I'm from Cincy, BTW.

Ok, from who I've talked to, it sounds like 2 different types of subs are at those bases, and the more family-friendly ones are at WA.

PM if you want more info.

When my friend was on a sub at Bangor, he was deployed for 3 months at a time. He was on a nuclear sub.

I have been to Groton many times to shop at the commissary and exchange. It seems like a quiet and nice base. Connecticut schools are excellent, BTW. I grew up in CT and it is a lovely state. The housing seemed newish from afar, although I have never been in a home there. Groton is close to Hartford, the beaches and a few hours from Boston. A cool place.

Thanks so much!!

MY SIL is back on the CT kick again, while brother is still digging in his heels for WA. I personally am pulling for CT, for my own selfish reasons -- we can drive to visit them !!!!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter