Budgeting in the time of Corona virus questions

Steps to take:

- Your boss is paying you for two weeks, which makes it confusing. Call the unemployment office and explain your situation -- this is a different situation, and things may vary locally. Apply whenever they say you should.
- Ask your boss about your 401K loan /your options.
- Do you anticipate being rehired after this crisis is over? If not, start applying for jobs on your first day out of work; make it your full time job. Two months is nothing, and when you find a new job, you may not begin immediately /may not receive a check for a week or two.
- Take stock of your bills right now and cut out whatever you can; for example, if you're paying someone to do yard work, eliminate that bill. If you're paying for cable TV, consider downsizing to a smaller package.
- Look at what food and supplies you have at home. Focus on making these last /avoid spending more. You don't know how long your current resources may need to last.
- Check your wallet to see if you have any old, unused gift cards rattling around.
- Credit cards were mentioned. Are you carrying a balance? If so, this is not the time to try to pay it off -- make minimum payments, but understand that this is a bandaid /not a solution to the problem.
- As someone else mentioned, you can ask the utilities about a deferment -- does this come with interest? Do realize that a deferment means you must pay, but you can pay later. Again, it's a bandaid.
- Overall, hold onto whatever money you can -- your savings, unemployment checks, etc. Whatever you can postpone paying (without adding interest, which is just going to add to your troubles later).

And good luck!

The way that the bill reads (I made a copy of it) says: "Regular unemployment compensation is increased by $600.00 per week. States have the ability to increase the unemployment benefits they pay by up to $600.00 per week for up to four months using Federally provided dollars"

The way that I interpret this is if I was getting $200.00 a week from Pennsylvania, the federal government would kick in $400.00 a week. I really don't think that you could plan on getting $600.00 a week on top of whatever your state unemployment gives you. I could be wrong on this but would love to hear other's interpretations on this???

No, the way that this is supposed to work is that you would receive an additional $600 on top of whatever you are due to receive from your state unemployment. So if you receive $500 a week in unemployment, you'd get that plus the $600 for $1,100 per week. Right now the federal government is saying that there is a 16 week limit on the additional $600. States vary on how long they offer unemployment.

I will tell you that you need to be patient in most states as they are just not set up to deal with the flood of claims. And I read today that there is a delay in the additional $600 from the federal government. However, so far they are saying that will be retroactive. So you may get your first unemployment check and then a week or two (or three) later, get the extra $600. And again, in theory, you would get $600 retroactively from the time you filed your claim.

Keep in mind that you may need to pay taxes on both the state unemployment and the additional $600. It's a fluid situation and the rules/dates...etc. seem to change quite frequently.

Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter