Bug spray?

ThemeQueen

Mouseketeer
11 days to go and I am finalizing my packing list. We are visiting all the parks and will be there late into the evening. Do I need to pack bug spray? Or is it not necessary?

Disney has an aggressive bug program. I really don't remember being bitten by a mosquito in all the times we have been there. There have been a couple of times when the love bugs were in the area. They are a bit annoying but they don't bite.

In all my years at Disney I've only been bitten once - at night by the Jungle Cruise line. I think it was part of the theming. ;)
I think you'll be fine without the spray.

11 days to go and I am finalizing my packing list. We are visiting all the parks and will be there late into the evening. Do I need to pack bug spray? Or is it not necessary?

I braught 2 different suntan lotions down with me in case I had an allergic reaction. One of them definitely attracted bugs but the other I never got bothered. It was not suntain/bug combo and just suntan.

If you find yourself needing it, they do sell it in some stores around WDW where you can find suntan lotion.

I got bit by a mosquito on our last trip, after dark at Winter Summerland. It was the first time I can recall ever getting bit by anything at WDW.

I've never had a problem with mosquito's per say (mosquito's LOVE me and even extra strength bug spray doesn't do the job sometimes) but there is a small biting gnat there that seems to get me once or twice every trip and they leave a welt. However they only seem to get me when I'm near the (big) water. No problems in the actual parks or when I've stayed at the values without lakes or rivers.

That being said I have only used bug 'spray' (I actually use the wipes and use them only as needed) a few times and then only if I'm out at dusk or dawn and know I will be using boat transportation.

I have never noticed any mosquitoes or anything while at WDW. I believe you could go without bug spray all together and be perfectly fine.

I never use it either and spent 4 months in the CP without getting any bites. But if you are going to use bug spray, I recommend one containing picaridin. We tested that vs a DEET spray on our last vacation (to the rainforest) and the picaridin won hands down.

We were last in WDW in summer 2016, a time when there was a lot of concern about Zika virus transmission risk in South Florida. There was complementary insect repellent in our room at the Yacht Club, and spray stations upon entering the parks. I’m not sure if they still do this.

Disney must do a very good job with pest management, as I’ve only experienced a few bites at dusk, etc. The one time I was badly bitten was at Mickey’s Not So Scary Party watching the parade, but I was standing right next to a hedge. Not a smart location choice! It could have been mosquitoes or another biting insect.

I've been to disney 5 times and not once have I gotten bit by a bug. That's part of what makes disney so great because I don't have to worry about stuff like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!