Buyer's Remorse? Help!

mwebsite

Mouseketeer
After waiting an entire year researching family trips to Italy, I booked Viva Italia for June 2009. Now I wake up and realize we are spending over $1000 per day for the three of us. I researched other tour companies, Globus was so much less expensive, but when they stay in Rome, though it's a nice hotel, it is not in the center of the city, and when they go to Venice, it's not on the Eurostar, it's a bus, etc. I know I am paying for a better overall quality tour, but I'm starting to have buyer's remorse. Can we really afford this? Maybe everyone who posts here is more wealthy than us? Does anyone else feel this way? And for people who have gone on Viva Italia, did you have these feelings that went away after you had the experience?

Well, I could make a list of reasons why ABD is worth it to US, but only you can decide whether it's worth it to YOU.

I would add up the different items on the itinerary, such as the Eurostar vs bus thing and figure out how much you would be willing to pay for the Eurostar. How much more are you willing to pay to stay in the center of town.

Also, much of what happens on a ABD tour are not listed in the itinerary. There are plenty of surprises and extra touches.

I also find that the ABD guides really take care of you. I haven't traveled with another tour company, but I have traveled on cruises. When I first cruised, I expected the cruiseline to take care of me, but I've found that they really don't. You are on your own. Our contractor lost your luggage? Not our problem. Tough luck. (And yes, I had one cruise where I had zero luggage because it had been lost by the cruise line. Makes for a crummy vacation)

In contrast, ABD guides will go the extra mile. Any problems that you have, they will help with.

I felt that I came back from ABD having had an excellent vacation. Other vacations paled in comparison. I felt sometimes that I needed a vacation from my vacation. I guess they were like junk food, where you don't really feel satisfied. ABD felt like an excellent 5 course meal.

Also, much of what happens on a ABD tour are not listed in the itinerary. There are plenty of surprises and extra touches.

In contrast, ABD guides will go the extra mile. Any problems that you have, they will help with.

Well said, abdmom. May I add that places are places but it's the Disney people that will make you realize that the money was well spent. We could have gone to Hollywood and Disneyland on our own but we would not have see the things we saw on the Backstage Magic tour nor would we had two people to take care of our every need. Your guides will provide you an experience that can not be duplicated. They will make sure your vacation is one you will never regret. MAGIC will happen that I believe will not happen with another tour company.

If you really feel that you cannot swing the cost then definitely take advantage of the 14 day cancellation option. After that you would lose your deposit if you feel that you cannot swing it. Or look for one that isn't as expensive. Remember you still have to add airfare, if you haven't already. You don't want to be really stressed over it a few months from now saying you should have canceleld when you had the chance

The ABD's are expensive and include a lot. Some of the ones we looked into I couldn't justify spending the cost on them for just one week or even less then a week. As an example we looked into the Backstage magic but for our family of 4 it would have been over $10,000 for a 5 night vacation, before airfare. Not worth it to us for such a short time. If money were no object then we would have probably gone but I would rather take that and spend it on a longer vacation or more then one vacation depending on where we end up going.

Some others are worth it like China, where we probably wouldn't go off on our own. Plus the logistics of getting from place to place. This tour has you on 2 or 3 flights within the tour itself

On the other hand if you are looking for the experience I am sure you will have a great one with ABD

The other thing when comparing is to keep in mind the exchange rate, which is terrible for us right now making the tours a little better option because you are paying in U.S. dollars

Also not included in the price are tips for your guides, a few of the meals not included and any personal items you want to purchase

Good luck with whatever decision you decide on

My husband and I went on the Backstage Magic. Before booking, we debated the pros and cons, and after booking, my husband had the same doubts as you are having. Now that we have been home for two weeks, a day has not gone by that we have not talked about this trip. It was the greatest trip and Disney experience that we have ever had. We have kept in contact with the other adventurers via email. Now we are talking about which trip with ABD to take next. We would love another Backstage Magic tour, with possibly a stop in Club 33! The Adventure Guides were so wonderful; they attended to every need before I knew I needed anything! We are so happy we took a chance and went on this trip. It was worth every penny! Hope it works out for you!

:earsboy: Jeff and Stacy

From all that I have read here on the ABD boards , I think you will be very happy with your decision. WE are booked on the Viva Italia tour on Sept 11, 08. Next month. I had a few micgivings after we booked, then I started reading the boards. You can not find anyone who did not say they had a great time. I have looked back through 11 pages of posts. All say they had a magical time. I am now looking forward to my "magical viva italia " trip.

On our first trip in 2006 (Viva Italia), we were able to take advantage of a very nice discount. Even with the reduced price, my husband had serious sticker shock. He's by no means a cheap guy, but he likes to know he's getting what he's paying for. He wondered if we were paying extra for the Disney name.

We returned from that trip and signed up almost immediately for Imperial Cities -- this time with the whole family (five of us) with no discount other than the early booking rate. Clearly, he changed his mind. :) We've since done Flavors of France (again with the family, again just with early booking rates) and are all going next year to Italy again on June 5. My frugal husband tells all our family and friends about these trips because he always has a great time and never feels like it wasn't money well spent. So... I guess that answers the question on whether Viva Italia changed our minds (well, his anyway) about the expense.

One of the guides on our trip also works off-season for one of the "other" tour companies and told me it's like night and day.

Not to be too long-winded (although, why should I change now - lol), but another example is a good friend of mine who wanted Rome, Florence and Venice. I gave her the AbD brochure and told her about our trip, but she looked at the prices and turned pale. The next week I dropped off every other travel book I had -- and I had a lot! She and her husband sat home all that weekend and compared each trip, item by item, and came back and said she couldn't imagine booking anything but Viva Italia. Even without the early booking rate, she felt like it was the best deal out there.

I guess all I can say is that doing your homework makes the price of these trips easier to take.

However, that said, I don't think anything is worth stressing over how you'll get the money to pay for it -- did that too much growing up and I saw how it ate away at my parents. When you add in this year's airfare to the trips to Italy (mine is pricing at $1750.00 right now), it can be overwhelming. As Joan1 wisely said, that 14 day cancellation is there for a reason, so don't feel bad if you have to use it!

I hope it all works out for you, whatever you decide!

Dotti

Thanks for all your support. I looked back and read the Viva Italia posts, which were of course wonderful. One traveler also said they had buyers remorse when they booked the trip too, but felt it was the trip of a lifetime. It made me feel better knowing others had similar feelings. I can't imagine not going on the ABD tour now.

You might also want to check out the details of Globus or Trafalger or other comparables. Many of those companies show you the itinerary, but not all of it is included. There are lots of extras you have to pay for once you are there. Side trips to other towns, museum admission. If you check out the more luxurious companies (A & K, Thompson family) you will find those don't provide a whole lot more (or any more) than abd for a lot more money.
We have loved all 3 of the trips we have taken. Good luck in your decision.

We looked at Viva Italia versus Globus' Italian Treasures and went with Globus bec we felt it was a better value. After going on Italian Treasures, we still feel that way.

The hotel for your stay in Rome is usually the Hotel Cicerone, which is very walkable to most places you want to go. It's very quick over to Piazza Navona, Trevi, Pantheon, and not far to the Vatican (which is semi-irrelevant since they take you to the Vatican by bus anyway). The hotels were all very good and the one in Spello was phenomenal -- I have never in my life stayed at a hotel like that one. (Yes, Italian hotels do not do AC like US hotels but in talking with some ABD folks in Orvieto -- bec we did see them in the same places quite frequently-- they told me they had the same experience.) In re the bus versus Eurostar, I'm not sure what the advantage to Eurostar would be anyway, but it's not a straight shot from Rome to Venice anyway on Italian Treasures -- you go to Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Verona, Florence in between. We felt that our guide and driver took care of us very well, that with one minor exception the optional excursions were wonderful (that exception was solely due to the hot weather, which is no one's fault), and when we needed advice the staff was there to help. Note also that the optional excursions were usually dinner-related, so you didn't have to pay extra to see the sights as show in the itinerary. (And we found that the cost of the excursion was actually less than if we'd paid for transport and the food on our own.) We had plenty of opportunities to be busy (which is our preference) while other people rested. I think that the trip surpassed our expectations and I couldn't imagine paying more money and being any more satisfied.

If you want more info, send me a pm and I'll give you the url to my blog about the trip.

I believe the trip to Venice is on Eurostar, it was when we went last year. ABD tours are much smaller, more sensitive to individual concerns, and guides easily accessible and cooperative. I think the extra for ABD is worth it.

HI, I live in Massachusetts, this past april I went with my daughter on the Holloywood/disneyland trip. I too thought after I paid for the trip that maybe I could do it cheaper on my own. I did book the airfare on my own which was much cheaper than ABD prices. I paid $356.oo/person for airfare. We had such a great time. The whole trip we were treated like VIP'S. A town car with our own driver picked us up a the airport with all the special little touches that only disney can remember to do. We even heard our driver whisper to the Hotel bellboy that we were VIPS and gave him a tip to treat us in just that fashion! Every single day ,there was a special surprise that was not on our itinerary! I just booked The Costa Rica trip for April 2009. I had ABD book the airfare for me since it was cheaper than online. $594.00 per person! However I got a call one hour later telling me that he has made a mistake with the dates and that is why it was not that cheap. BUT ,in true disney fashion, they decided to absorb the extra fee fare themselves. This was a $900.00 savings! Need I say more! No one does anything like Disney!

I am booked on the June 11 Viva Italia tour and am so excited! I have never been out of the country and I'm hoping for a wonderful trip for my son and me to experience together, without his three little sisters! It is expensive, and being a stay-at-home mom, I fretted over spending money on just the two of us, but when you think of an "ala carte" vacation, you can spend much more than you think you will spend on the extras that are included in Disney. I trust Disney completey - taken ten cruises, joined the Vacation Club - and believe that since this is something we really want to do but would never have the confidence to travel and see Italy on our own, I feel GREAT about our trip and am truly very excited. I hope you will start to feel happy rather than stressed...that feeling is no fun at all.

Thanks to all for their input. I realize this is a trip of a lifetime, and my husband and I want to do it first class. We are so excited, and I have books on Italy already studying what we want to do on our free time. After reading everyones information, I know we have made the right choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter