Buying Back Into DVC

pistonfan32

Mouseketeer
We purchased resale into Old Key West in 2005 with 240 points. We sold in 2015 for close to the same price that we purchased.. At that time, our kids were 21 and 13 and we didn't see ourselves going to Disney much more.

During the 10 years that we owned in DVC, we stayed at OKW, AKV, Grand Californian and Aulani. We really loved all of the resorts with AKV Savannah view being our favorite at WDW.

Our family, including our now 16 year old son and 16 year old exchange student from Spain, have a trip booked Christmas week staying at the Swan in 2 hotel rooms. We used our Starwood points for one room and it costs about $3,000 per week for the second room.

I am now considering buying back into DVC. I contacted the resale company I have worked with in the past inquiring about the availability of DVC 2 bedroom units at any resort in WDW. They said there is no availability. I contacted DVC Direct and they said they could get me AKV Savannah view (our favorite) during Christmas week for a full week. All I need are points and a new DVC contract.

I would need to purchase about 250 points to have enough points for a 2 bedroom unit. I would use 2018 points and borrow from 2019 and I would have enough points.

As most of you know, buying DVC direct is expensive. It would cost me around $42,000 to purchase 250 points direct into Copper Creek which goes until 2068. I could buy resale and probably get another resort for 50-60% of the direct price. Buying direct would allow me to stay at AKV and then I would cancel my 2 rooms at the Swan--no $3,000 and no use of SPG points.

I am not sure how often we would go to WDW in the future. We have several nieces who have kids around 5 years old and we would love to host them at WDW in a DVC resort over the coming years. My sons will probably have kids at some point and they could use the DVC. We could also use it for ourselves traveling to non-DVC vacations using exchanges.

I am leaning toward buying direct primarily so I can get into AKV this Christmas week. I am not worried about the money. I know there are many other perks only if purchasing direct.

What am I not thinking about? Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?
Based on the case you’ve made, I’d say you’re crazy. If you’d be happy with a resort that you can buy for 50% off direct, then you’re paying $21,000 to save $3,000 and some SPG points. The main perk with any value is the ability to purchase the gold annual pass which wouldn’t benefit you at Christmas time. I don’t think it would ever make up the $18,000 difference.

Buy direct because you want to own and frequently stay at the newest resort. That’s the main “sane” reason.

I would just pay cash for this trip and buy a contract on the resale market for next year. I don't recommend buying direct from Disney unless you need the points for the discounts or some other good reason.

I would just pay cash for this trip and buy a contract on the resale market for next year. I don't recommend buying direct from Disney unless you need the points for the discounts or some other good reason.

Thanks for your comments. I was just hoping to get into AKV and that blinded my vision for a short time.

I am not a "direct purchase basher," but even I think your plan is kind of crazy, and very short-sighted. I would just keep the reservation you have and if you still have a burning desire to become a DVC member again, put a little more thought into it. $42,000 is a LOT of money for a savanna view.

I am not a "direct purchase basher," but even I think your plan is kind of crazy, and very short-sighted. I would just keep the reservation you have and if you still have a burning desire to become a DVC member again, put a little more thought into it. $42,000 is a LOT of money for a savanna view.

Agree. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

The really big question is..... Do you like CCV enough to want to own there? If not, then you should buy at a resort that you really like/love. Take your time, and really think about where you want to stay, because the 7 month booking window is getting very difficult now.

I say, pay cash for this stay, and then take your time and buy between 175-250 points resale, 175 gets you 350 points every other year to use at a lot of Resorts with 2 bedroom units. Buy at the DVC resort that you really want, there are plenty of contacts out there at most resorts.

Good luck!

How many points do you need exactly?

If you can buy direct (IMO best at AKV for you) with a Oct or Dec UY (IF that's a good UY for you going forward), you would get 2017 points. So, your direct purchase would give you 225 points to use toward your December stay.

Currently, the Rent / Trade board has points available for transfer. Also, sometimes agencies have transfers available.

So, likely for around $16K you could own 75 direct and purchase points via transfer. If you consider your savings of $3000 cash and $3000 SPG value, you're spending an add'l $10K for your membership and direct benefits.

This may not be the worst idea if you think you want back into membership but aren't quite certain to what extent yet. You could continue to use transfers for occasional trips or shop resale for an add-on.

However, a lot of stars would need to align to accomplish this. I'm REALLY not sure I believe that your 2 bed Savannah view is available or that DVC will actually make it magically appear. There aren't even 2 bedrooms at SSR available. Perhaps that was only being offered if buying the 250 points at CCV.

Yes, this sounds crazy. If you really want to stay at AKV this Christmas I would just book a cash reservation. Then I would take some time and figure out what resort you want to own at. It sounds like you want to own at AKV. I would look for a contract on the resale market v buying direct.

Maybe take this christmas trip and do the DVC tour for CCV, you might like it there and love it more than AK. If you want CCV the buy direct, but if your heart is still set on AK then i would look for the ideal resale contract. There is a lot of money to be saved by buying resale so it is very well worth the leg work to essentially get the same thing.

You also might realize that trips might become just for you and your spouse so you could get by with a smaller contract for studios or you buy 2 smaller contracts at 2 different resorts. It sounds as though during your ownership you only stayed at a couple WDW resorts. If I had to guess if you stayed at Poly, which was likely not an option when you owned, you would probably love it there and might actually want a contract there. We own AK and as much as we love it there our stay at Poly felt more like home.

I just checked and you can "get into AKV" for Christmas week by booking a cash reservation directly with Disney. It will cost you somewhere around $12k and up depending on how long your stay is. That of course just gets you your Christmas week reservation, and nothing else. So, if you are thinking of buying back into DVC only for that reservation, then I say you are crazy. But if you are just wanting to get back in and the fact that by doing so the guide can get you the Christmas week you want in the room you want it, then there is value to that. But I think that most people are going to tell you that you will end up with points at CCV and if you don't really want to stay at CCV, then you are paying a premium solely to get one reservation. So it all comes down to how much that one reservation is really worth it to you. If you buy resale at AKV, there will be many more Christmas weeks to get the reservation you want with a whole lot of extra cash in your pocket.

Yes, this sounds crazy. If you really want to stay at AKV this Christmas I would just book a cash reservation. Then I would take some time and figure out what resort you want to own at. It sounds like you want to own at AKV. I would look for a contract on the resale market v buying direct.

I agree. To me it sounds as if you prefer to own at AKV.

Buy fewer points direct at AKV with late year UY for 2017 points,

Use 2017 points, current points, and borrow 2019 points (and one time use points) to make reservation.

Tell guide if he can pull all that off and book Dec in 2BR AKV then you’re a buyer, today.

That would be cheaper but a hat trick to pull off.

Otherwise keep your current plans.

Also - I think AKV savannah is generally easier to get at 7mo, so long as you aren't always going at Xmas or peak times. You could save a bit by buying OKW or SSR if you're ok staying there if you cant get AKV. That said, if you owned AKV you'd be able to try for value or concierge, too, and it's not too much more expensive that OKW or SSR.

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned yet...buying DVC direct to get a room for this year, Christmas week is both a waste of time and money. There's nothing available for Christmas week except 1 BR preferred rooms at SSR, and who knows how many of those are left. Everything else is pretty much waitlist at this time.

I guess there might be some piece of missing on how DVC would be able to get you a room if you bought direct right away.

I would also not buy simply because your nieces might go or your kids might one day have kids. If you're not going to do WDW every year or every other year, it doesn't sound like buying DVC makes sense (which sounds like the reason why you decided to sell it in the first place).

One thing nobody seems to have mentioned yet...buying DVC direct to get a room for this year, Christmas week is both a waste of time and money. There's nothing available for Christmas week except 1 BR preferred rooms at SSR, and who knows how many of those are left. Everything else is pretty much waitlist at this time.

I guess there might be some piece of missing on how DVC would be able to get you a room if you bought direct right away.

I would also not buy simply because your nieces might go or your kids might one day have kids. If you're not going to do WDW every year or every other year, it doesn't sound like buying DVC makes sense (which sounds like the reason why you decided to sell it in the first place).

Sounded like Disney was just gonna give him a room for Xmas because it be a $42K sale

Thanks for all of your comments. I was told that they still have very limited availability at AKV because DVC does not get all of the inventory at AKV and that Disney keeps some inventory. If I purchased direct, they still have 2 bedroom villas at AKV and SSR for Christmas week.

Is there a value to the fact the Copper Creek goes to 2058. Does that help keep the resale price? Probably yes.

And no, I did not buy back into DVC. I just can't justify it unless I try really hard and then it's a stretch.

I would buy at CCV - akv is pretty easy to get at 7 month mark if you are flexibile (non-peak times)

If you buy a dec UY or oct UY you should get 2017 points as well which would be nice

CCV goes till 2068. Yes there is some value in that. But they also have high MF’s. It all boils down to what is important to you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter