Buying prescription glasse on line

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
Have you ever done it? Have you been happy with the results?

I don't like the glasses in most of the places near me and they're expensive. While I do have a regular use pair from my doctor (which I don't need to wear all the time), I don't want to pay a fortune for a pair of reading glasses that I'll use in the bedroom or around the house, so I was thinking of just getting a pair from a discount online company, but then they start with the questions like "what's your 'PD'?" I don't know and the doctor isn't legally allowed to tell me,

While I want the discounted glasses, I still don't want to pay $100 for something I can't wear anyway.

Have you gone to CVS or Target, The Dollar Store, etc., and looked at the readers they have? My favorite pair is from a dollar store.

For other online glasses, my kids have used Zenni and my sister likes Warby Parker.

If you ask your dr. for a script for the glasses, it'll have the information that the online seller needs. The dr can't tell you, but can provide a prescription for it.

I've done the Costco reading glasses for a number of years, but I think one eye needs a little different prescription, as they're not always comfortable. Great for quickly scanning a recipe or checking a price as the store, but not really for sitting down to read a book or play a video game.

I've tried the dollar store ones, but the arms on those break fairly often. I know, get what you pay for, but still, it's annoying to have to replace something just when you need it to work for you.

I have been using Zenni for years and love them. There is a tool to help you measure PD. I can get 3 prescription pairs with blue light blocker etc for about 200 total.
How do you like that blue light blocker? I was looking at that, but I'm afraid of paying for something that won't do any good.

I've used Zenni, Eyebuydirect, 39DollarGlasses, and Warby Parker. They have all been great!

I usually choose one over the other based on having a style I like with the temple length I need.

BTW - Just in case you didn't know Luxotica owns every major glass brand including your high end fashion brands, plus Pearl Vision, and Target Eyeglasses, they even have their own insurance plan Eyemed. So when you go to the eye doctor they are allowing a "discount" from their eyeglasses, under their insurance plan....It's a ridiculous monopolistic racket and I avoid it whenever possible.

How do you like that blue light blocker? I was looking at that, but I'm afraid of paying for something that won't do any good.

I dont notice any difference but it was recommended by my dr. also i know people who are getting glasses just for that for headaches and feeling a little better but not much.

I have been using Zenni for years and love them. There is a tool to help you measure PD. I can get 3 prescription pairs with blue light blocker etc for about 200 total.
Us too with Zenni. They’ve been great and my DD loves them more than anything she’s ever gotten from the eye doctor.

Just a thing about the store bought reading glasses- I tried them on for years because I need them for the computer and close work when crafting, and they were never right. Always blurry. My eye doctor told me it's because I have astigmatism. I don't know if this is true, because he then fitted me for a pair of close work prescription glasses that work great. Does anyone else know if this is true? If you have astigmatism you can't buy from the dollar store or pharmacy?

Just a thing about the store bought reading glasses- I tried them on for years because I need them for the computer and close work when crafting, and they were never right. Always blurry. My eye doctor told me it's because I have astigmatism. I don't know if this is true, because he then fitted me for a pair of close work prescription glasses that work great. Does anyone else know if this is true? If you have astigmatism you can't buy from the dollar store or pharmacy?
This is true. I have an astigmatism as well.

Our eyes are shaped like footballs, and usually they are of different level severities which means you will need perhaps completely different prescriptions for each eye and that is why the standard readers from the drug store will not cut it. :)

I got some Rx sungalsses from Zenni and it was great. I will likely get all future pairs of glasses from them.
Same here, I got the Transitions which I loved at first but now I'm not sure how much I like them and will likely move to standard Prescription Sunglasses when I replace these.

I have a very high prescription and buy mine from Zenni or Payne. I only wear them at night when I take my contacts out, so didn't want to pay a fortune with all the upcharges on my coke bottle lenses.
Your PD should be on your written prescription. If not, I believe the website will tell you how to figure it out on your own. Zenni included the little ruler thingy with the last pair I bought.

I asked for the "magic number" and my doctor refused. They told me that (at least where I live) there's a law that if they provide the number and I buy glasses that don't work, I could sue them to pay for the glasses, since they provided erroneous information.

When I got my last pair, I looked at the numbers they provided, but I don't know if any are the actual PD number. The site I went to said "63" was the most common, but my numbers were .52 .36 .52 so that's quite different and while I'm sure my memory is accurate, I'm not sure those were the numbers I was looking for.

Yes, about astygmatism being a problem with "cheater" drug store glasses. For me, I'm only slightly off, which means I can tolerate the cheaters for short periods of time, but my real prescription would be better.

I measured my PD myself -- measured a few times to be sure and asked my husband to verify. I used a ruler though there are lots of directions online on how to do it.

So with that being said, yep, I've ordered lots of glasses online. My preferred company has been Coastal Glasses as all the pairs I've ever received have been great. I tried Zenni however most of the glasses just didn't work out for me. I've stuck with Coastal though. I had a roommate a few years back who tried Warby Parker and they loved the experience.

I have purchased several pairs of progressives online. My last pair had the blue filter and I can tell a difference. Even my eye doctor said I did a good job measuring my PD when I went in the next year.

I did Zenni too, friend loaned me a tool to measure pd, which apparently I got wrong. Be very careful with this measurement, have someone else help or double check your measurement.

If you have a complicated prescription (which you don't), I would not go online. I have bad astigmatisms in each eye, plus I need bifocals. Better to leave that to the professionals. I ended up not using my zenni glasses for long because I could read music in them.

But for simple reading glasses, I think Zenni would be fine as long as the pd measurement is accurate.

I have astigmatism and use readers from Walmart. My doctor told me eventually they would stop “working.” He said something about seeing “shadows” on the letters. I can already tell that he is right. I’m currently at +200 for the readers. I know I will have to breakdown and spend the money on a couple pairs real reading glasses. Keep one pair at home and one at work. I wear my readers more than my distance glasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter