CA Governor Newsom impact on DLR

guynhawaii

Mouseketeer
Aloha,

Well, what shall be the impact on DLR and the California economy due to CA Governor Newsom's desire to suspend any activity with 250 or more people? Will this also close Malls, restaurants, public transportation, schools, box-stores, etc...?

According to the article in the L.A. Times, "the limit on large gatherings does 'not apply to essential public transportation, airport travel, or shopping at a store or mall.' ” So, for now, it does not sound like malls, essential public transportation, airports, etc, will be closed.

Gatherings of 250 or more people should be canceled due to coronavirus outbreak, California Gov. Gavin Newsom says

Since there hasn't been an official announcement from Disney or DLR management about this, speculation isn't really helpful at this time. Shouldn't be too long before official announcements start being posted.

According to the article in the L.A. Times, "the limit on large gatherings does 'not apply to essential public transportation, airport travel, or shopping at a store or mall.' ” So, for now, it does not sound like malls, essential public transportation, airports, etc, will be closed.

Gatherings of 250 or more people should be canceled due to coronavirus outbreak, California Gov. Gavin Newsom says
Aloha and mahalo for the prompt reply!

Does this allow DLR enough wiggle room to remain open?

Aloha and mahalo for the prompt reply!

Does this allow DLR enough wiggle room to remain open?
I edited my post above. Speculation on such a big topic right now isn't really helpful. Fueling people's anxiety (like they need this?) isn't really helpful right now. Official news can't be far off -- I would much rather wait for those announcements and post those.

Until we get an official announcement from DLR management, it doesn't really matter what I think. It would just be speculation. And I don't want anyone planning or cancelling their trip based on that.

Now that makes sense!!!

Just going throw my 2 cents in here: Clearly, having to cancel trips in the next 30-60 days is absolutely nobody's fault. If you decide you want to go at a later time, Disney should honor the price you were supposed to pay. If we cancel our room at the Grand Californian, the cost will literally double due to an excellent rate we got when we booked last year.

I'm scheduled for a stay up there this weekend. It's rare when I spend more than one night (heck, even rare to spend one night). I was looking forward to being relaxed and going at a slow pace over a few days. If any of it stays open, I'll probably still go. Rain will probably close a lot of the outdoor stuff. Whatever's meant to be will be.

My Long Beach daughter drove up to the bay area this week to check out some universities. Most of them end up closing up/cancelling on her while she was en route. There was still a private one that was open and then they ended up closing the next day. I told her that she probably just needed the time away to relax from the rat race at home and just take it as a break. I'll heed my own advice if Disneyland ends up cancelling this weekend. I'll just take it as I was meant to take a quiet break for a few days.

Firstly, if you read the article, it is a recommendation that does not have the full force of law behind it.

Secondly it states gatherings of 250 or more that do not allow for 6 feet of space between people.

So, it might affect operations at certain attractions, i.e. more virtual queues, some shows canceled and perhaps even some ride closures and possibly even reduce overall max capacity at the park to ensure the ability to provide 6 feet of space between people.

But as others have said this is speculation until we see anything official.

Secondly it states gatherings of 250 or more that do not allow for 6 feet of space between people.
I wonder what that will mean for Disneyland. I've been there lots of times when we didn't have that much space between people. This is going to be a challenge for sure!

As I've posted above, it doesn't really matter what we say will happen. Until Disney management makes an official announcement about what they will do, the North American parks will remain open. Iger himself said yesterday that, as of yesterday, Disney had no intention of closing the North American parks. This board has no intention of causing people to panic or to feed into public hysteria or media hype. We are waiting for Disney's decision on this.

Last edited:
Disneyland is totally going to close, based on just that initial statement from the City of Anaheim. They specifically call out the entertainment venues and say they are going to adhere to the guidance from the governor. It's the responsible thing to do. I imagine the parks will close although I expect the hotels and Downtown Disney to remain open.

Disneyland is totally going to close, based on just that initial statement from the City of Anaheim. They specifically call out the entertainment venues and say they are going to adhere to the guidance from the governor. It's the responsible thing to do. I imagine the parks will close although I expect the hotels and Downtown Disney to remain open.

This is my expectation, too. With California's homeless problem, and the potential of disease spread by way of that population, communities have to be that much more proactive in the current situation.
We'll all get through this together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter