Ca Grill 10/27/06

PaDisneyCouple

DIS Veteran
Date: 10/27/06
Location: California Grill. Top floor of the Contemporary. Note 2nd floor check-in
ADR's: Yes, 18:10
Arrival: 17:45
Wait: None. We were taken to the next available elevator, passed off, and immediately seated.
Server: Michael. There when we needed him, but not hovering or smothering.
Atmosphere: Elevated views of the area. Our window table faced the Poly, GF, and MK.
Beverages: 2 glasses of the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" Chardonnay. Smooth taste of vanilla and oak. We enjoyed this wine.
Food: DW started with the Rabbit Flatbread, and enjoyed it so much, I had to politely remind her that we share samples with each other. Next for her were the Scallops. We can't remember how they were done, but the presentation was creative. There were 3 of them (LARGE), along with a small clutch of carrots. All were placed on a long, skinny, rectangular plate. This plate was 4" wide, max. And about 12-14" long. I began with the Dungeness Crab California roll. A generous number of pieces, I recall about 10. They were larger in diameter than I'm used to, and I had to cut several in half. The crab had a sweet flavor to it. The pickled ginger was not especially strong (ie not overpowering), while the wasabi was on the lower side of the hot scale. I followed with the Beef Filet. The Teriyaki sauce was very good, as were the mashes potatoes. The beans...well, I tried them. One let-down was the fact that my entree was barely warm when served. I did note that the meat, which I had requested Medium, was slightly pink in the center. I was fine with that.
Desert: DW had a Mango-based desert, while I had the Strawberries Forever Cheesecake. You could taste the difference versus frozen premade. Of note- we asked Michael about the baker's half dozen of Really Yummy cookies, which we had several years ago. He refered to them as Andrea's Really Yummy Cookies (a former CG pastry chef). He indicated he'd pass along our request for them. Perhaps they'll reappear on the menu.
Noise: CG opened at 1730 that night, we believe. It was quite full, and noisy, by the time we got there. More children than we recall seeing there in the past.
Do it again: Yes- and continue our pattern of early dining.
Also worth noting: Ron S, our server from 2003, is still there. We plan to request either of them when visiting CG again.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter