California DVC Owners Group

Reporting on a Grand Cal Accessible Studio, #1516. Highlights:
  • "Woods" view; 1st floor with easy/quick access to the Paradise Pier entrance to DCA. (Just slip out the back, Jack!)
  • Has a bathtub ... but the room is configured to make life easy for wheelchair access.
  • The bed is much lower than normal. Seems smaller, too; possibly Full Size rather than Queen?
  • There are nightstands on both sides of the bed. (Win!!)
  • The outlets are easier to find/reach. On my side of the bed, the outlet was a bit higher than the nightstand -- I didn't need to move the furniture to find the outlet. (Again, "Win!!")
  • There is a murphy bed hidden inside the couch. The couch is at least 6.5' long ... and the murphy would sleep an adult. We figure this is a better option than the shorter, child-sized murphy in other unit types.
  • There is no coffee table ... but the goal is "more floor space" for wheelchair?
  • There are long handles on the curtains -- allowing easy reach from a seated position.
  • There is an oversized sitting chair -- super comfy.
  • The bathroom is all one room (tub, sink, vanity and toilet) rather than having the sink/vanity outside the room with tub and toilet.
  • The bathroom vanity counter and shelves aren't very deep.
  • The bathtub has a seat that flips down from the wall.
  • The shower head is hand-held on an adjustable wall-mounted rod -- great pressure. I really liked this setup!
  • The closet location faces the bed on the wall between bathroom and sleeping area. There are both shelves and hanging rod at lower & standard positions.
  • The kitchenette has an open space below the sink -- allowing a wheelchair to slide under the area while accessing the counter top.
In all, we really liked the unit -- especially the couch/murphy and extra floor space.

Post Hilary; Checking In. Everyone OK?

We had minimal damage to the property and surroundings. Just up the road there is a tree leaning across the road supported by phone lines (not power lines). And one of our horse shelters was damaged by Wednesday's freak thunderstorm (possible tornado?) and then pushed from "repair" to "replace" by Hilary. Otherwise, we are preserved, praise the Lord!

You?

Post Hilary; Checking In. Everyone OK?

We had minimal damage to the property and surroundings. Just up the road there is a tree leaning across the road supported by phone lines (not power lines). And one of our horse shelters was damaged by Wednesday's freak thunderstorm (possible tornado?) and then pushed from "repair" to "replace" by Hilary. Otherwise, we are preserved, praise the Lord!

You?

All good by me. We just had very steady rain in our area. Looks like a lot of leaves/pine needles down outside and still pretty wet.

All good here in Yorba Linda. One or two trees came down in our neighborhood, but mostly just a few tree branches and lots of leaves, and my neighbor did lose their patio shade structure, but otherwise all is good. Didn't even feel the quake (did anyone in Orange County?). Bit humid though.

It looked like the trees vomited, otherwise you can’t really tell a tropical storm went through where I live in Cerritos (border LA/OC county). There isn’t even clogged up gutters causing flooding like we usually get on normal day days! Definitely got lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!