California DVC Owners Group

Yay, this sounds so much fun! I am about 20 minutes from Disneyland.

1. When did you become a member?

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Both (3 direct contracts and 2 resale contracts). I think there is possibly 1 more resale purchase in my future. And I kind of want the DLH DVC too.

3. Where do you own?
SSR, VGC (2 contracts), AKV (2 contracts - 1 at each location)

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
Many staycations at VGC (it is why I bought points there) including for the park's anniversary every year! Usually to WDW twice a year (September and March).

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
Premier Passholder - It should have expired 2 weeks after the parks closed and now it just keeps getting extended!

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
I look at all for price. And it must be direct, so despite living about 2 miles from SNA, I always go up to LAX. I really liked Virgin America, but it was bought by Alaska and the direct flight removed from the schedule. Lately, I have been on a Delta kick, but I am really ok with Delta or United mostly. Not an American or Southwest fan.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
Was there the week before parks closed (3/6 - 3/13). Cancelled for September of this year. Booked for March, but my friends and I are still watching the situation and will discuss in a couple months. And then planning for the end of September next year for the 50th. In the meantime, I am up to 5 cancellations at VGC with 2 more visits booked for November and January that I am concerned about. I am really trying to use some banked points that will expire 11/30.

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
March is usually 7 night. September is 10-12 nights. For the distance, I want to make it worth it.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom - I just love the safari and animals. I could ride it all day. I am loving the Disney+ show about behind the scenes at AK.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
So tough - I love my VGC and AKV homes. But also love Boardwalk. I would want to add there, but I can't get past the 2042 expiration at Boardwalk.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
Waking up at some horrid hour to make fastpasses!!!! I start work at 6 AM so I am used to being up early, but I do not like 4 AM (it is just not ok with me). Without pre-booking fastpasses, we would be more willing to play bus roulette, but just does not work if we want fastpasses for some of the big rides. ADRs are not usually a problem as I book more late afternoon lunches which works for us.

Hello neighbor! Aww, sorry to hear that you have to keep postponing your trips.

I don‘t own there but have been able to stay at VGC several times and we thoroughly enjoyed our staycation there last year. Even though we live close to DLR we really feel like we’re far from home while in the Disney bubble.

Virgin America, oh how I miss them! Loved the planes and service, and they had the perfect departure time and I was super disappointed Alaska decided to drop that itinerary. We’ve flown out of SNA twice but found that the little bit of savings for a connecting flight just wasn‘t worth it.

As for next trip to WDW, end of next September is what we’re shooting for too! I’m super looking forward to the 11 month booking window opening up in just a couple weeks!😊

Resale

3. Where do you own?
VGC
Aul - Sub

Still waiting to do first DVC!

DLR AP Flex

SWA - Companion Pass!

TBD - deferred during summer. Now kids back in school and graduating - so Maybe Sept 2021

7-10

9. Favorite WDW park?
Yes :)

10. Favorite DVC resort?

4AM wakeup of for getting things booked.

Resale

3. Where do you own?
VGC
Aul - Sub

Still waiting to do first DVC!

DLR AP Flex

SWA - Companion Pass!

TBD - deferred during summer. Now kids back in school and graduating - so Maybe Sept 2021

7-10

9. Favorite WDW park?
Yes :)

10. Favorite DVC resort?

4AM wakeup of for getting things booked.

Welcome to the thread! Love your answer to #9!😁

Hello neighbor! Aww, sorry to hear that you have to keep postponing your trips.

I don‘t own there but have been able to stay at VGC several times and we thoroughly enjoyed our staycation there last year. Even though we live close to DLR we really feel like we’re far from home while in the Disney bubble.

Virgin America, oh how I miss them! Loved the planes and service, and they had the perfect departure time and I was super disappointed Alaska decided to drop that itinerary. We’ve flown out of SNA twice but found that the little bit of savings for a connecting flight just wasn‘t worth it.

As for next trip to WDW, end of next September is what we’re shooting for too! I’m super looking forward to the 11 month booking window opening up in just a couple weeks!😊

I bought VGC after having a couple waitlist fails. But this way I can lock in my VGC trip every July for Disneyland anniversary. After paying cash a few times at the hotels for the anniversary, I wanted to lock it in. And the second contract is for usually a short holiday type visit in mid November or early December to enjoy the Christmas lights on a weeknight or 2.

I never found much savings flying from SNA with the connections. Oh and depending on the time of year, I do not want to deal with connections in cold, snowy, or icy places where I could get stuck. The connections that the airlines never make sense either (Chicago, Boston, New York are just a bit out of the way).

Resale

3. Where do you own?
BWV, SSR

WDW, DLR (Prefer WDW)

None of the Above. Live in No Cal and don't go often enuff to use. Also, Military so Salute to the Heroes Tix are more affordable for either stay for WDW or DLR

Ha Ha Ha ! Whatever is the cheapest. Found a Priceline deal for our trip in WDW Jan. 2021 for $200 roundtrip per person.

Jan. 21 4 nites at the Riv and the last 3 nites at VGF. Canx'd our VGC 2 nite stay that week due to the uncertainty.

A week.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom

10. Favorite DVC resort?
VWL (Will always call it VWL, not Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek) The boat ride from VWL to MK is so nice and relaxing and passing below the monorail and BLT !

"4AM wakeup of for getting things booked." EXACTLY !!! Can't even imagine being a DVC owner in HI or AK ???

This is fun! Joining in.

Yes.
Direct in '08.
Added on via resale in '10.
Waiting to add on again when the DLH Villas open.

3. Where do you own?
Just the VGC so far ...

DLR primarily. Since becoming DVC, we try to hit WDW every 3-4 years. Never been to HH or Vero, I doubt I'll go to those resorts. My trip report for one of the two trips I've taken to Aulani when I lived in the islands are in my signature; while it is a wonderful resort and I'm not opposed to going back, usually when I fly to Hawaii I am required to bring my kids to see the fam on Maui, so its unlikely we'll be visiting again anytime soon.

We try to get a bunch of trips out of the DLR AP, then take a year off to stay on budget and get to see other parts of the world. The first trip that we went to WDW we upgraded to Gold APs since there was a special that made it really reasonable to add on to our 10 day hoppers with WP&M, and snuck in a second trip 11 months after, but since we don't usually go to WDW twice in a year we probably wouldn't do that again.

Usually Southwest, because they have the best points system. Also direct flights are my preference from any airport other than SFO.

2022 at the earliest, more likely 2023.

Trip 1 was 14 nights. Trip 2 was 6. Trip 3 was 7. Trip 4 was 5 nights. So current average is 8 1/4, but future trips will likely stay in the 4-5 nights length. That's enough time for us to hit all the things that aren't at DLR.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Epcot, although our favorite rides are mostly at DHS.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
VGC, hands down.
Beach Club is second.

Direct flights are never at a good time for my schedule. Also the lack of good CS and seasonal items that pervade DLR. I love a good sit-down meal, but really would prefer to be able to pop in to eat one dish at one restaurant, then move on to the next without having reservations. That being said, getting to go to F&W this last trip was pretty spectacular by comparison to DLR's.

This is fun! Joining in.

Yes.
Direct in '08.
Added on via resale in '10.
Waiting to add on again when the DLH Villas open.

3. Where do you own?
Just the VGC so far ...

DLR primarily. Since becoming DVC, we try to hit WDW every 3-4 years. Never been to HH or Vero, I doubt I'll go to those resorts. My trip report for one of the two trips I've taken to Aulani when I lived in the islands are in my signature; while it is a wonderful resort and I'm not opposed to going back, usually when I fly to Hawaii I am required to bring my kids to see the fam on Maui, so its unlikely we'll be visiting again anytime soon.

We try to get a bunch of trips out of the DLR AP, then take a year off to stay on budget and get to see other parts of the world. The first trip that we went to WDW we upgraded to Gold APs since there was a special that made it really reasonable to add on to our 10 day hoppers with WP&M, and snuck in a second trip 11 months after, but since we don't usually go to WDW twice in a year we probably wouldn't do that again.

Usually Southwest, because they have the best points system. Also direct flights are my preference from any airport other than SFO.

2022 at the earliest, more likely 2023.

Trip 1 was 14 nights. Trip 2 was 6. Trip 3 was 7. Trip 4 was 5 nights. So current average is 8 1/4, but future trips will likely stay in the 4-5 nights length. That's enough time for us to hit all the things that aren't at DLR.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Epcot, although our favorite rides are mostly at DHS.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
VGC, hands down.
Beach Club is second.

Direct flights are never at a good time for my schedule. Also the lack of good CS and seasonal items that pervade DLR. I love a good sit-down meal, but really would prefer to be able to pop in to eat one dish at one restaurant, then move on to the next without having reservations. That being said, getting to go to F&W this last trip was pretty spectacular by comparison to DLR's.

Hello and welcome!

Oh yes, Aulani! I haven't been so I need to get out there. We were supposed to go last year, but it didn't pan out and thought we'd go this fall, but well, with the pandemic and all plans changed. We're very homesick for WDW, so we're going back there first next September so I'll need to see when we can fit it in because we want to go to Japan. I'm toying with the idea of combining the Japan trip with Aulani.

Yes, VGC is an amazing resort, we love it there. I'd add on but waiting to see what the new Disneyland Hotel Villas are going to be like.

Have a great day! :)

Resale.

3. Where do you own?
BLT

WDW once a year, sometimes once every-other year

No, but have been a DLR AP holder in the past.

Jet Blue

August '21

About 5 nights. I'd rather not visit parks on the weekends

9. Favorite WDW park?
MK

10. Favorite DVC resort?
BLT, though new at this and have only stayed at BLT.

Waiting for our trip :)

Direct

3. Where do you own?
CCV

18 months on average for WDW. Have done Aulani once and would love to go back. Have never stayed on property at DLR (only about a 40 minute drive for me).

DLR Flex Pass ("expired" in June).
Would consider WDW Gold AP if/when it returns if we can organize two visits within a year.

Delta loyalist. I like the free checked bags and priority boarding that come with my Delta Amex. I also like the Comfort Plus seats since I usually take a red-eye. Jet Blue is neck and neck with them. Good leg room in coach, and I love the little serve yourself snack bar on the newer planes (probably a thing of the past in these COVID times).

January if all goes well!

5-7 nights

9. Favorite WDW park?
AK then the World Showcase :rotfl2:🍻

10. Favorite DVC resort?
BWV, AKV, and home - CCV

Dealing with my nostalgia for the trips of my youth (paper FP, longer hours, spontaneity).

I really dislike FastPass+.

Resale.

3. Where do you own?
BLT

WDW once a year, sometimes once every-other year

No, but have been a DLR AP holder in the past.

Jet Blue

August '21

About 5 nights. I'd rather not visit parks on the weekends

9. Favorite WDW park?
MK

10. Favorite DVC resort?
BLT, though new at this and have only stayed at BLT.

Waiting for our trip :)

Thanks for joining!

Ah, BLT. Very nice resort and so close to MK! We actually toured BLT last trip to check it out and we plan on staying there one of these days.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on number eleven, waiting for the next trip to come around is the hardest part!😆

Direct

3. Where do you own?
CCV

18 months on average for WDW. Have done Aulani once and would love to go back. Have never stayed on property at DLR (only about a 40 minute drive for me).

DLR Flex Pass ("expired" in June).
Would consider WDW Gold AP if/when it returns if we can organize two visits within a year.

Delta loyalist. I like the free checked bags and priority boarding that come with my Delta Amex. I also like the Comfort Plus seats since I usually take a red-eye. Jet Blue is neck and neck with them. Good leg room in coach, and I love the little serve yourself snack bar on the newer planes (probably a thing of the past in these COVID times).

January if all goes well!

5-7 nights

9. Favorite WDW park?
AK then the World Showcase :rotfl2:🍻

10. Favorite DVC resort?
BWV, AKV, and home - CCV

Dealing with my nostalgia for the trips of my youth (paper FP, longer hours, spontaneity).

I really dislike FastPass+.

Hello neighbor!

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend a staycation at DLR and VGC if you can snag a reservation. You really do feel like you’re on vacation despite being so close to home and it’s also nice knowing you have a nice room to walk back to at the end of the evening and not have to deal with the trams.

Paper fast passes, yes! For WDW, we would accumulate multiples, go back to the resort for a swim break, have a nice dinner, then go back to the park and use them. Those were the days!

Hello neighbor!

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend a staycation at DLR and VGC if you can snag a reservation. You really do feel like you’re on vacation despite being so close to home and it’s also nice knowing you have a nice room to walk back to at the end of the evening and not have to deal with the trams.

Paper fast passes, yes! For WDW, we would accumulate multiples, go back to the resort for a swim break, have a nice dinner, then go back to the park and use them. Those were the days!

Totally on my bucket list! I share my points with my sister who is back in Wisconsin, so we would want to plan around her getting to experience it too!

Also afraid that once we try, I will be looking for a VGC contract!!

Hello everyone! So WDW ticket sales were extended through January '22. I know a few had posted plans for trips in fall of next year. For those who haven't purchased yet, are you going to go ahead and get regular tickets or hold out for APs? The planner in me just wants to get them now so I can make park reservations and then upgrade if/when APs become available.

Thoughts?

Hello everyone! So WDW ticket sales were extended through January '22. I know a few had posted plans for trips in fall of next year. For those who haven't purchased yet, are you going to go ahead and get regular tickets or hold out for APs? The planner in me just wants to get them now so I can make park reservations and then upgrade if/when APs become available.

Thoughts?

I am struggling with this decision. I have a Premier Pass that should have expired 2 weeks after the parks closed. So I have those 2 weeks + the month extension on my current pass. And they keep extending the WDW end date so the pass will expire all at one time. So while, it should have expired on the WDW side, it is currently showing extended to 11/23. With Disneyland still a big question mark, I am not sure when my pass will expire. I have WDW booked for March and September. And I still consider March a bit iffy at this point, so really am not sure what to do yet. If I go in March, I would want to do a pass to get both trips in and would probably go Premier again since I go to WDW several times a month too.

I am struggling with this decision. I have a Premier Pass that should have expired 2 weeks after the parks closed. So I have those 2 weeks + the month extension on my current pass. And they keep extending the WDW end date so the pass will expire all at one time. So while, it should have expired on the WDW side, it is currently showing extended to 11/23. With Disneyland still a big question mark, I am not sure when my pass will expire. I have WDW booked for March and September. And I still consider March a bit iffy at this point, so really am not sure what to do yet. If I go in March, I would want to do a pass to get both trips in and would probably go Premier again since I go to WDW several times a month too.

Yikes, yours is a tricky dilemma indeed.

After giving it some thought, I'm most likely going to purchase standard tickets tomorrow via Undercover Tourist for the savings and then upgrade to APs later. I asked MS whether I'd be able to upgrade over the phone, and they told me yes. I took it with a grain of salt though, because I have a feeling I'd have to do it at Guest Relations like I have in the past. They were able to bridge my UT discount and the awesome one at the time that was for the Gold pass, so I saved a nice chunk of $$$. My point is, I'm taking a risk that Gold APs come out soon but then a possible price increase in a few months prior to our trip.

Edited to add: We don't hold Premier APs anymore because it's less expensive to have two separate APs for WDW and DLR. We don't visit any of the parks during the December holidays that are blocked on our passes.

Thoughts?
I'm in a "wait and see" mode. We'd like to visit WDW in early Oct '21 and, thus, will likely book a room at our home resort as a placeholder. We'll keep an eye on ticket/AP availability as well as the 'Park Reservations' dealio as time unfolds. No stress! If all seems favorable, we'll proceed with ticket/AP purchase ... but likely at the very last minute before the onsite FP+ window opens.

Really, I'm not worried about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter