California DVC Owners Group

I'm in a "wait and see" mode. We'd like to visit WDW in early Oct '21 and, thus, will likely book a room at our home resort as a placeholder. We'll keep an eye on ticket/AP availability as well as the 'Park Reservations' dealio as time unfolds. No stress! If all seems favorable, we'll proceed with ticket/AP purchase ... but likely at the very last minute before the onsite FP+ window opens.

Really, I'm not worried about it.

I recalled last night that our trip end of next September will overlap into the official 10/1/21 MK 50th. My sons really want to be in MK that day, so that means I do need to purchase park tickets now so I can secure a reservation. Made a large purchase this week on my favorite airline rewards credit card which I never carry a balance on, waiting for that payment to clear so I can get them. I'm super excited to be able to finally book something related to our trip. It's giving us something positive to look forward to. 🙂

1. When did you become a member?

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Resale! It actually was a gift from my parents!

3. Where do you own?
Aulani! Though I've never been lol

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
DLR and WDW! I have good luck :)

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
No, but I am moving into a SoCal zip code soon so I might get the DLR AP then :)

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
Whatever gets us from LAX to MCO under $200. I have a lot of luck with AA.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
9/05/21!

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
7 days. I'm a teacher, so I can't take of more then that.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom!

10. Favorite DVC resort?
Adults only trip? Poly! Kids trip? SSR!

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
Ticket prices keep going up and up and up! Other then that owning DVC makes it easy!

If theirs was a Direct purchase and the 'gift' was conducted as a family transfer ... your membership might still qualify as Direct with respect to membership perks, etc?

3. Where do you own?
Aulani! Though I've never been lol

DLR and WDW! I have good luck :)

No, but I am moving into a SoCal zip code soon so I might get the DLR AP then :)

Whatever gets us from LAX to MCO under $200. I have a lot of luck with AA.

9/05/21!

7 days. I'm a teacher, so I can't take of more then that.

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom!

10. Favorite DVC resort?
Adults only trip? Poly! Kids trip? SSR!

Ticket prices keep going up and up and up! Other then that owning DVC makes it easy!

Hello and welcome!

Wow, what an amazing gift your parents gave you! Hopefully you’ll get to go to Aulani one of these days soon. I myself haven‘t gone yet, but I’m thinking maybe in ‘22 if we go to Japan.

Yeah, those ticket prices never go down, only up.🤷🏻‍♀️

If theirs was a Direct purchase and the 'gift' was conducted as a family transfer ... your membership might still qualify as Direct with respect to membership perks, etc?
No, they bought it resale. They like to cruise and purchased a small 25 point contract to stay at WDW 1 night before and 1 night after. That's the only time they go LOL. They snatched up another 30 point small contract for us. I wish we had the cash to add on. Maybe in a few years, but until then we make our points streaaaacccchh lol

Hello and welcome!

Wow, what an amazing gift your parents gave you! Hopefully you’ll get to go to Aulani one of these days soon. I myself haven‘t gone yet, but I’m thinking maybe in ‘22 if we go to Japan.

Yeah, those ticket prices never go down, only up.🤷🏻‍♀️
Right? As a teacher we wouldn't be able to afford to stay at deluxe resorts without them. They're the only reason we can go every other year!

I have to share my excitement!

I was finally able to start some real trip planning today. I decided to extend our trip an additional night, so it’ll be a split stay at AKV Kidani/Riviera for 15 nights. I purchased 10 day base E-tickets via an authorized reseller and only had to wait about 15 minutes for them to show up on my email. Yes, I’m just a little impatient!😆

The tricky part came once it was time to book park reservations. I know nothing is perfect, but I always try to get us into the least crowded park of the day which requires quite a bit of advanced research and consulting my favorite websites that specialize in the topic and this has always worked well for me. Unfortunately with all of the changes, I haven‘t found any current guidance which I totally understand and is based on so much uncertainty right now. What to do? I decided to review our previous trip itineraries which I keep for posterity in Google Docs. I noticed that there haven’t been many variances between them over the years other than for example MK due to MNSSHP. Fortunately, I found my “least crowded parks” list ranked by day and best/mid/worst listed under my 2017 itinerary. I used that as a guide because it’s better than nothing and I can always tweak things if I need to later I guess. Soooo, I was able to book all of our park reservations and feel relieved that we’re set for being in MK on 10/1/21 for the official 50th anniversary.

Next up will be booking AKV in a few days.😄

I have to share my excitement!

I was finally able to start some real trip planning today. I decided to extend our trip an additional night, so it’ll be a split stay at AKV Kidani/Riviera for 15 nights. I purchased 10 day base E-tickets via an authorized reseller and only had to wait about 15 minutes for them to show up on my email. Yes, I’m just a little impatient!😆

The tricky part came once it was time to book park reservations. I know nothing is perfect, but I always try to get us into the least crowded park of the day which requires quite a bit of advanced research and consulting my favorite websites that specialize in the topic and this has always worked well for me. Unfortunately with all of the changes, I haven‘t found any current guidance which I totally understand and is based on so much uncertainty right now. What to do? I decided to review our previous trip itineraries which I keep for posterity in Google Docs. I noticed that there haven’t been many variances between them over the years other than for example MK due to MNSSHP. Fortunately, I found my “least crowded parks” list ranked by day and best/mid/worst listed under my 2017 itinerary. I used that as a guide because it’s better than nothing and I can always tweak things if I need to later I guess. Soooo, I was able to book all of our park reservations and feel relieved that we’re set for being in MK on 10/1/21 for the official 50th anniversary.

Next up will be booking AKV in a few days.😄
15 nights! You know how to live! Wonderful!

Direct - would love to purchase more point & would go resale

3. Where do you own?
VGC, BLT, AKL

Would love to own Aulani and Boulder Ridge

WDW - typically 2 x's a year. Try to maximize AP's
DLR - we use to go quite a bit with AP's, but then the prices increased substantially. Sadly, it's been awhile since going there.
Aulani - try to go every couple years. Scheduled to go in February 2021

We tend to travel the most to WDW. We usually go at least 2 x's a year to WDW. We have visited Aulani 4 times. Was suppose to go to VGC in June for grandson's first birthday.

We have WDW passes, have carried those for last few years. We use to have the Premier Passes and the price has just increased so much. I remember when we purchased them for $800.

First preference would be Jet Blue, but last year they dropped their daily non-stop to Orlando from LAX. At one time we use to fly them out of Long Beach direct, even though it was a bit further for us than LAX, with less travelers it was actually easier to fly of there. Also miss the Virgin America flights. We have been mainly flying Delta lately, also using the AmEx to save on luggage fees.

November 11th, January 2021 both WDW & DLR (if opened)

10 nights, we try to maximize our trips. Wish it could be full 2 weeks, but can't be away from work for that long. Will have longer trips in a few years once retirement hits.

9. Favorite WDW park?

Animal Kingdom, followed by Magic Kingdom

10. Favorite DVC resort?
AKL, VGC, BLT, Aulani & Boulder Ridge (have lots of them) Love them all for different reasons

Yep, agree with others the early mornings for FP & ADR's

Direct - would love to purchase more point & would go resale

3. Where do you own?
VGC, BLT, AKL

Would love to own Aulani and Boulder Ridge

WDW - typically 2 x's a year. Try to maximize AP's
DLR - we use to go quite a bit with AP's, but then the prices increased substantially. Sadly, it's been awhile since going there.
Aulani - try to go every couple years. Scheduled to go in February 2021

We tend to travel the most to WDW. We usually go at least 2 x's a year to WDW. We have visited Aulani 4 times. Was suppose to go to VGC in June for grandson's first birthday.

We have WDW passes, have carried those for last few years. We use to have the Premier Passes and the price has just increased so much. I remember when we purchased them for $800.

First preference would be Jet Blue, but last year they dropped their daily non-stop to Orlando from LAX. At one time we use to fly them out of Long Beach direct, even though it was a bit further for us than LAX, with less travelers it was actually easier to fly of there. Also miss the Virgin America flights. We have been mainly flying Delta lately, also using the AmEx to save on luggage fees.

November 11th, January 2021 both WDW & DLR (if opened)

10 nights, we try to maximize our trips. Wish it could be full 2 weeks, but can't be away from work for that long. Will have longer trips in a few years once retirement hits.

9. Favorite WDW park?

Animal Kingdom, followed by Magic Kingdom

10. Favorite DVC resort?
AKL, VGC, BLT, Aulani & Boulder Ridge (have lots of them) Love them all for different reasons

Yep, agree with others the early mornings for FP & ADR's

Welcome to the thread!

The $800 premier pass was an awesome value when it first came out but the price went up so much, we just get separate APs for both coasts.

Hope you have a great trip next month!

Sigh. Today's news (CA guidance on re-opening) was not welcome if one is hoping or waiting for the CA parks to re-open. Sigh. I've got two years of points currently tied to reservations at the Grand Cal ... and am now thinking we'll have to book those out at WDW ... ?? Again, SIGH.

Sigh. Today's news (CA guidance on re-opening) was not welcome if one is hoping or waiting for the CA parks to re-open. Sigh. I've got two years of points currently tied to reservations at the Grand Cal ... and am now thinking we'll have to book those out at WDW ... ?? Again, SIGH.

I‘m right there with you. I don’t have any reservations pending at VGC this year. My family and I weren’t even planning on going to DLR anytime soon. However, I’m very saddened how this is impacting so many. I don’t think there was ever any intention to let DLR open and today was a hard no under the guise of supposed safety. Sorry, but there’s just too much inconsistency with what has been allowed up to this point vs theme parks. I have no opinion on politics, just my general observation and opinion.😔

Yeah - very sad day. I have 2 reservations for November and 1 for January. I am trying to use up some banked points. 11/17-11/18 is on 2018 Dec UY banked AKV points, 11/18-11/20 with some banked 2018 VGC points and some current UY VGC points that I booked 11 months out before Covid was a thing. And then January is on banked 2019 Feb UY points. I am seriously hoping that DVC will do something for us VGC owners who are not able to use their points.

Good morning California peeps! Why am I up at this hour? Why else would a CalifornIan get up this early if they didn’t have to? I booked the first week of our WDW trip! Booked a two bedroom savanna view villa at AKV Kidani Village 9/23/2-9/30/21. It was a smooth process, no glitches with having to borrow 14 points.

We haven’t been back home since fall of ‘18, so we’re really missing our happy place, especially with DLR still being closed. We‘re trying to make lemonade out of lemons though and went to Downtown Disney yesterday for a late lunch at Tortilla Joe’s and did some shopping at WOD for the trip.

Next step is to book our outgoing flight on Tuesday, then the second half of our stay at Riviera next Friday. Can’t wait!😊

Good morning California peeps! Why am I up at this hour? Why else would a CalifornIan get up this early if they didn’t have to?
Congratulations and Good for You!! Whee! :)

I was up at that hour, also ... with coffee in hand and laptop prepping for my first online meeting of the day. By then, the horses' feed buckets were soaking and I'd fed 5 smaller animals. I love mornings. Best time of the day!!

Why am I up at this hour? Why else would a CalifornIan get up this early if they didn’t have to? I booked the first week of our WDW trip! Booked a two bedroom savanna view villa at AKV Kidani Village 9/23/2-9/30/21. It was a smooth process, no glitches with having to borrow 14 points.
So jelly, love that Savanna view! One of my (minor, not that important) complaints about DVC (and a lot of other companies) is the fact that they operate on East Coast time. I've only gotten up a few times at that hour to book my 11 month reservation, but I always think ... wouldn't it be great if VGC and Aulani bookings opened up on California and Hawaii time? It turned out the last one that I woke up that early for I didn't need to (we wanted a studio for a friend's birthday the week between Xmas and New Year's) since the studios weren't all take for another month or so after I booked.

YES! I will hope the same for VGC owners!

So great news on my VGC front for points!!!! I have worked out all my points woes thankfully.

I am gifting 24 of my 26 banked Dec 2018 AKV points to my friend who is going to Kidani for 2 nights next month. Reservation made and am super happy for her to get to take that mini getaway.

For my VGC points (and actually before I gifted the AKV points to my friend), I emailed the dvc member satisfaction team and copied Terri Schultz about my VGC point concerns and fear of losing my points through no fault of my own at my home resort. I got a call (Unknown number) from a DVC supervisor to call them back. I called back and explained my concerns and they were able to make some pixie dust to help me. We cancelled my 11/18-20 reservation (not like it was happening anyway) and they banked the 30 current 2019 use year points into 2020 for me AND they took the 10 banked 2018 VGC points and extended them and put them on my March 2021 reservation at the Boardwalk! So no loss of my VGC points!!!!

So in the end, I will lose 2 AKV points which I can totally live with compared to the 66 that I was originally looking at. I still have my 12 from my February UY, but I am leaving those on the January reservation in case something miraculous happens.

Good morning California peeps! Why am I up at this hour? Why else would a CalifornIan get up this early if they didn’t have to? I booked the first week of our WDW trip! Booked a two bedroom savanna view villa at AKV Kidani Village 9/23/2-9/30/21. It was a smooth process, no glitches with having to borrow 14 points.

We haven’t been back home since fall of ‘18, so we’re really missing our happy place, especially with DLR still being closed. We‘re trying to make lemonade out of lemons though and went to Downtown Disney yesterday for a late lunch at Tortilla Joe’s and did some shopping at WOD for the trip.

Next step is to book our outgoing flight on Tuesday, then the second half of our stay at Riviera next Friday. Can’t wait!😊

Yay!!! I will be booking there tomorrow for 11 months out! And then just extend the days until I have all that I will need for the full reservation. Not sure I am as dedicated getting up at that incredibly early time to book it. I want a 1 bedroom and those tend to be more available, so will get it booked in the AM ---- just not quite that early.

So great news on my VGC front for points!!!! I have worked out all my points woes thankfully.
I called back and explained my concerns and they were able to make some pixie dust to help me. We cancelled my 11/18-20 reservation (not like it was happening anyway) and they banked the 30 current 2019 use year points into 2020 for me AND they took the 10 banked 2018 VGC points and extended them and put them on my March 2021 reservation at the Boardwalk! So no loss of my VGC points!!!!
So in the end, I will lose 2 AKV points which I can totally live with compared to the 66 that I was originally looking at. I still have my 12 from my February UY, but I am leaving those on the January reservation in case something miraculous happens.
Wow, MS to the rescue! So glad you were able to get that pixie dust. I don't have any points from 2018, and only 24 unused from 2019 that expire May 2021 after the cancellation/late banking from last year, so I won't have any skin in this game but I really hope that DVC is able to come up with solutions to this problem that a lot of other members are facing. For us, going to Florida or Oahu just isn't going to be in the cards to use my VGC points, and I'm sure for a lot of other owners that is true as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!