California DVC Owners Group

Wow, MS to the rescue! So glad you were able to get that pixie dust. I don't have any points from 2018, and only 24 unused from 2019 that expire May 2021 after the cancellation/late banking from last year, so I won't have any skin in this game but I really hope that DVC is able to come up with solutions to this problem that a lot of other members are facing. For us, going to Florida or Oahu just isn't going to be in the cards to use my VGC points, and I'm sure for a lot of other owners that is true as well.

I feel so much better now! I was really worried about the loss of the points. I am still not sure if March will happen, but I am certainly going to try to make it work since they did help so much!

Congratulations and Good for You!! Whee! :)

I was up at that hour, also ... with coffee in hand and laptop prepping for my first online meeting of the day. By then, the horses' feed buckets were soaking and I'd fed 5 smaller animals. I love mornings. Best time of the day!!
I wish I could be a morning person! When I'm at the office, I'm most productive in the p.m.!
So jelly, love that Savanna view! One of my (minor, not that important) complaints about DVC (and a lot of other companies) is the fact that they operate on East Coast time. I've only gotten up a few times at that hour to book my 11 month reservation, but I always think ... wouldn't it be great if VGC and Aulani bookings opened up on California and Hawaii time? It turned out the last one that I woke up that early for I didn't need to (we wanted a studio for a friend's birthday the week between Xmas and New Year's) since the studios weren't all take for another month or so after I booked.
Yes! I'm used to it now but I don't like it. What I do to get myself in a better mood is put on some Disney music, but then it wakes up the household! Misery loves company I guess. ;)
Yay!!! I will be booking there tomorrow for 11 months out! And then just extend the days until I have all that I will need for the full reservation. Not sure I am as dedicated getting up at that incredibly early time to book it. I want a 1 bedroom and those tend to be more available, so will get it booked in the AM ---- just not quite that early.
Congratulations! Looks like you'll be there at the same time. Hope you get all the days you need. :)

I wish I could be a morning person! When I'm at the office, I'm most productive in the p.m.!

Yes! I'm used to it now but I don't like it. What I do to get myself in a better mood is put on some Disney music, but then it wakes up the household! Misery loves company I guess. ;)

Congratulations! Looks like you'll be there at the same time. Hope you get all the days you need. :)

Thanks! I am looking at 9/25 - 10/7 (may add a day on each end to have some cushion on the reservation depending on flights). With a 1 bedroom savanna, I feel pretty good about my chances to get in. I normally do studios but since I have so many extra points that I banked for this year, I am splurging.

And I normally am up early too. I start work at 6 AM (work with an east coast team), so I am still usually up early on the weekends too. Now the 3 AM wake up call for ADRs, yeah, those I hate!!!

Was inside DLR on 05/05/05 (AKA Cindo de Mayo, 2005) for the 1st day of the start of the 50th. Never again! It was horrible, crowd was ridiculous. If you like being packed like a sardine you'd have a great time...Me and my buddy did a 180 at the entrance and went to DCA...It was a ghost town. You could walk on all the rides ! Our other friend who was inside DL kept trying to get us to come over... NO WAY !!! Maybe Covid-19 will prevent the Monterey Bay "sardine packing" in WDW...who knows ?

So great news on my VGC front for points!!!! I have worked out all my points woes thankfully.

I am gifting 24 of my 26 banked Dec 2018 AKV points to my friend who is going to Kidani for 2 nights next month. Reservation made and am super happy for her to get to take that mini getaway.

For my VGC points (and actually before I gifted the AKV points to my friend), I emailed the dvc member satisfaction team and copied Terri Schultz about my VGC point concerns and fear of losing my points through no fault of my own at my home resort. I got a call (Unknown number) from a DVC supervisor to call them back. I called back and explained my concerns and they were able to make some pixie dust to help me. We cancelled my 11/18-20 reservation (not like it was happening anyway) and they banked the 30 current 2019 use year points into 2020 for me AND they took the 10 banked 2018 VGC points and extended them and put them on my March 2021 reservation at the Boardwalk! So no loss of my VGC points!!!!

So in the end, I will lose 2 AKV points which I can totally live with compared to the 66 that I was originally looking at. I still have my 12 from my February UY, but I am leaving those on the January reservation in case something miraculous happens.
That's awesome! There's hope!

Was inside DLR on 05/05/05 (AKA Cindo de Mayo, 2005) for the 1st day of the start of the 50th. Never again! It was horrible, crowd was ridiculous. If you like being packed like a sardine you'd have a great time...Me and my buddy did a 180 at the entrance and went to DCA...It was a ghost town. You could walk on all the rides ! Our other friend who was inside DL kept trying to get us to come over... NO WAY !!! Maybe Covid-19 will prevent the Monterey Bay "sardine packing" in WDW...who knows ?

We were there for the 60th 24 hour celebration. We did the entire 24 hours and it was packed to the gills. However, we went in with realistic expectations and not for the purpose of ride as many of our favorites as possible. We were a group of eight and some of us went over to DCA around but hopped back over to DLR as soon as I realized that the park would likely reach capacity by noon. It sure did and we read the reports of all the craziness going on outside the gates. That being said, we had an amazing time! We had no issues with dining or getting the specialty snacks and merch and the party atmosphere and special entertainment was so fun! I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but again, going in with certain expectations is key to enjoyment of this type of event.

C-Mom, I hope you have a great time! Don’t get me wrong...I just was talking about my experience. I had no idea about what the crowd size was supposed to be that day especially since we were at DLR the day before and did both parks with small attendance. If I remember right that was when Michael Eisner showed up on 05/05/05 and got booed. I had never experienced a crowd size like that. I’m pretty sure I can speak for my wife and kid that WDW’s “51st Celebration” (sarcasm...I know there will be no hype for 51) is good 4 us! I hope everyone who is there next year has an outstanding and fun time for the Big 5 - 0 !

C-Mom, I hope you have a great time! Don’t get me wrong...I just was talking about my experience. I had no idea about what the crowd size was supposed to be that day especially since we were at DLR the day before and did both parks with small attendance. If I remember right that was when Michael Eisner showed up on 05/05/05 and got booed. I had never experienced a crowd size like that. I’m pretty sure I can speak for my wife and kid that WDW’s “51st Celebration” (sarcasm...I know there will be no hype for 51) is good 4 us! I hope everyone who is there next year has an outstanding and fun time for the Big 5 - 0 !

Oh, absolutely, I totally get it! Disney events that draw huge crowds aren’t for everyone and there are definitely drawbacks that could make it so the experience isn’t worth it. We did a five day staycation for the 50th, but it was after the initial hype had somewhat subsided so I missed out on the booing.😉

I still have my sons’ gold ears from that trip. Remember those?😊

Another milestone to celebrate, I booked our outgoing flight for 9/23/21 on AA direct out of LAX. They had our preferred departure time of 8:25 a.m. getting us to MCO around 4:30 which means we should be able to make it in time to have dinner at Sanaa while its still light out.

Anyone else book flights yet for fall of next year? Or am I the only one who books early?😃

Another milestone to celebrate, I booked our outgoing flight for 9/23/21 on AA direct out of LAX. They had our preferred departure time of 8:25 a.m. getting us to MCO around 4:30 which means we should be able to make it in time to have dinner at Sanaa while its still light out.

Anyone else book flights yet for fall of next year? Or am I the only one who books early?😃

I still have not booked flights for March! So you are looking at flights way too far out for me. I will start getting serious about March airfare in another month or so (I did not book until 2/10 this year for a 3/6 flight. I typically find the best airfare about 8-12 weeks out. Sometimes I find better earlier and then book it. Sometimes, I play a bit of chicken on the price. I typically check prices 1-2 times a week until I start getting in a little closer and then I start looking almost daily. I always have a couple $ amounts in mind (my absolute purchase now if lower than X, my that is pretty good so think about booking at this price, and my Nope still too high price).

I still have not booked flights for March! So you are looking at flights way too far out for me. I will start getting serious about March airfare in another month or so (I did not book until 2/10 this year for a 3/6 flight. I typically find the best airfare about 8-12 weeks out. Sometimes I find better earlier and then book it. Sometimes, I play a bit of chicken on the price. I typically check prices 1-2 times a week until I start getting in a little closer and then I start looking almost daily. I always have a couple $ amounts in mind (my absolute purchase now if lower than X, my that is pretty good so think about booking at this price, and my Nope still too high price).

You have a good strategy.

Me, I start tracking fare patterns a couple months prior to opening of the booking window. I always have a max amount that I'm willing to pay, so if it's within the range, I book at 335 days out. My sons are tall, so we always get premium economy seats and usually in an exit row. Those go pretty quickly, which is one of the reasons I book so early, plus time of day is important, we prefer a reasonably early flight and only direct. The couple of times we purchased connecting flights, we all hated it. Those were when we traveled with extended family who wanted to "save" money by flying out of SNA. I made sure to book flights with lay-overs no shorter than two hours, but each time, the first leg was delayed causing us to literally run through the airport to the to catch the next one, this with extended family and little ones in tow with all their gear. Never again unless I had no other choice, the minimal savings just isn't worth the stress and hassle.

Thanks Castillo Mom, I'm in! I don't frequently post but always read:surfweb:

1. When did you become a member?

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Direct because I wanted own as soon as my home resort opened.

3. Where do you own?
Villas at Grand California

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
We have been able to have a Disney vacation at least once a year, so we have done DLR, WDW, Aulani, WDW, DCL and Hilton Head. We even rented our points and put funds toward our Disneyland Paris Trip. I'm now pondering a Tokyo Disney trip(first time I'm saying this out loud-typing counts!) (and don't tell my family....)

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
No. We only did it once when I planned out 7 DLR trips to get our money's worth.

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
I don't fly a favorite, I fly Southwest for low fares and flexibility.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
If I get a worse case of cabin fever I may risk a COVID fever and go next month:headache:

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
8-9 nights

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom-it's so different than anything else.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
The one's I have visited are each unique, but I just Love my home resort VGC.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
Agree that waking up at the crack of dawn to make sure we have Fastpass reservations is brutal:crazy2:

Thanks Castillo Mom, I'm in! I don't frequently post but always read:surfweb:

1. When did you become a member?

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Direct because I wanted own as soon as my home resort opened.

3. Where do you own?
Villas at Grand California

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
We have been able to have a Disney vacation at least once a year, so we have done DLR, WDW, Aulani, WDW, DCL and Hilton Head. We even rented our points and put funds toward our Disneyland Paris Trip. I'm now pondering a Tokyo Disney trip(first time I'm saying this out loud-typing counts!) (and don't tell my family....)

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
No. We only did it once when I planned out 7 DLR trips to get our money's worth.

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
I don't fly a favorite, I fly Southwest for low fares and flexibility.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
If I get a worse case of cabin fever I may risk a COVID fever and go next month:headache:

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
8-9 nights

9. Favorite WDW park?
Animal Kingdom-it's so different than anything else.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
The one's I have visited are each unique, but I just Love my home resort VGC.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
Agree that waking up at the crack of dawn to make sure we have Fastpass reservations is brutal:crazy2:

Welcome to the thread!

Disney Tokyo, your secret is safe with me!😉 We were supposed to go this year but for obvious reasons, pit didn’t happen. Hopefully year after next.

So progress on my upcoming trips.

My waitlist for my March trip for the Beach Club came through. I had Boardwalk booked (which was totally ok too), but my friends booked a 1 bedroom at Beach Club, so I figured why not try to book there myself? I honestly did not think that waitlist would come through, so I was very pleasantly surprised by that!

And I now have 9/26-10/7 booked for a 1 bedroom savannah view at Kidani. I may still add the night of 9/24 and 9/25, but I would need to use my SSR points for those nights. I figured those are furthest from 10/1, so those were the dates I should leave open. I will most likely book a SSR studio for those specific nights now and look to change them in a couple months to Kidani as well. Or I may decide to do those nights on cash at like Pop.

So progress on my upcoming trips.

My waitlist for my March trip for the Beach Club came through. I had Boardwalk booked (which was totally ok too), but my friends booked a 1 bedroom at Beach Club, so I figured why not try to book there myself? I honestly did not think that waitlist would come through, so I was very pleasantly surprised by that!

And I now have 9/26-10/7 booked for a 1 bedroom savannah view at Kidani. I may still add the night of 9/24 and 9/25, but I would need to use my SSR points for those nights. I figured those are furthest from 10/1, so those were the dates I should leave open. I will most likely book a SSR studio for those specific nights now and look to change them in a couple months to Kidani as well. Or I may decide to do those nights on cash at like Pop.

Congratulations on your waitlist coming through, BCV is hard to get if you're not an owner there depending on room type you're trying to get. It's a lovely resort and the first one we ever stayed at. I'd love to book another stay there one of these days. :)

Onto another topic. Now that it was officially announced that Buena Vista Street in DCA will open on the 19th, I'm curious as to whether any of my DVC neighbors will be going.:) Me, I probably won't for a good while as I'm not comfortable yet but I certainly wouldn't judge if others decide to go. I'll live vicariously through those that do in the meantime! ;)

Onto another topic. Now that it was officially announced that Buena Vista Street in DCA will open on the 19th, I'm curious as to whether any of my DVC neighbors will be going.:) Me, I probably won't for a good while as I'm not comfortable yet but I certainly wouldn't judge if others decide to go. I'll live vicariously through those that do in the meantime! ;)
We are trying! But for slightly later in the month.

Our VGC reservation for Thanksgiving weekend has not yet been cancelled and we have a backup, off-property reservation nearby. Either way, we are trying to build up some dining reservations ... hoping for Carthay Circle ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter