Called MS twice - received two different responses.

Mich Mouse

Poly Loving Disney Bride
Good Morning,

I have called MS twice over the last few days trying to understand how cancellations will affect my reservations and points. I am hoping for some clarification by the experts here!

My use year is AUGUST.

I currently have three reservations:

August 2020. Aulani 47 Banked Points
156 Available

August 2020. Polynesian. 46 Borrowed
43 Available

February 2021 Boardwalk 135 Borrowed

How many points would need to be used by the end of July 2021?

If all three reservations were cancelled could the points that must be used be put into RCI? If so, when would that need to be done by?

The original plan was to cancel one of the August trips based on my daughters schedule. She is an ICU nurse in NYC! That's my greatest concern now of course. If she could get the time off we were going to Hawaii. If not she would be able to come to FL for a few days at least. I was going to ask for a point reallocation to be applied to the Boardwalk trip after cancelling one of the August trips. I thought I had a good plan.......

I would greatly appreciate some guidance.....

All the points in the reservations, including all already banked or borrowed points are currently in the August 2020 use year. As long as any one or all of those reservations are cancelled before 30 days from date of arrival, any banked or borrowed points will remain in the Aug 2020 use year and must be used for a reservation that ends before July 31, 2021. Any Aug 2020 regular points can be banked into the Aug 2021 use year as long as you do the banking by March 31, 2021. Have not looked at RCI rules for a long time but I believe if you place those banked and borrowed points into RCI upon cancellation of those reservations, they would be good for a two-year period but, of course, you would have to find an RCI reservation you could use them for within that two-year period, and that depends on RCI availability and what you might be looking for.

Note, that none of your resrvaitonsxa or points used in them are currently subject to any of the modified rules DVC has adopted for coronavirus cancellations.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I have called MS twice over the last few days trying to understand how cancellations will affect my reservations and points. I am hoping for some clarification by the experts here!

My use year is AUGUST.

I currently have three reservations:

August 2020. Aulani 47 Banked Points
156 Available

August 2020. Polynesian. 46 Borrowed
43 Available

February 2021 Boardwalk 135 Borrowed

How many points would need to be used by the end of July 2021?

If all three reservations were cancelled could the points that must be used be put into RCI? If so, when would that need to be done by?

The original plan was to cancel one of the August trips based on my daughters schedule. She is an ICU nurse in NYC! That's my greatest concern now of course. If she could get the time off we were going to Hawaii. If not she would be able to come to FL for a few days at least. I was going to ask for a point reallocation to be applied to the Boardwalk trip after cancelling one of the August trips. I thought I had a good plan.......

I would greatly appreciate some guidance.....
First of all, God bless your daughter for the unbelievably stressful job she has. I cannot fathom what it must be like working under the current conditions in NYC.

As far as getting your points back:
  1. Banked points cannot be banked a second time. DVC has been very firm on this point all along.
  2. Current UY points can be banked before your banking deadline (Sept 30 for Feb UYs) but DVC is currently not making exceptions for those who are past their banking deadline.
  3. Borrowed points are being returned to their original UY for stays that are being cancelled due to COVID-19. I don’t think this will apply to a Feb 2021 stay.

Since you have Aug 2020 and Feb 2021, and the resorts should be open by then, I don’t think any of those trips will qualify for the current changes.

Now, if you decided to cancel those August trips today, and called, given the fact that things do say “until further notice”, you may be able to get them to return borrowed points.

But, since they are taking cash bookings again starting June 1st, I think that is a good indication that they expect the resorts to be back online by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter