Camera/Film Tips?

izzarelli

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone

I was looking through my pictures from last years Holiday trip & wanted some camera/film tips from you photo buffs out there. :)

I'm using my new Canon SLR this year & am looking forward to some photos than in the past. (I hope) What type & speed of film do you typically shoot at the parks? My Osborne pics from last year stink, as do my MVMCP. I'm not planning on taking a tripod in except for a couple times when I'm specifically going in to take pictures. I am the biggest camera doofus so any help & guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

During the day, use 200 ISO film. It works well in a lot of situations. For evening, switch to 400 ISO. (The darker it gets, the higher the number you need to use) If it's really dark out in the afternoon, you may want to switch to 400.

For parades and night shots with flash or a tripod...Use 800 ISO or higher.(higher than 800 ISO will be quite grainy)

I recommend FUJI film (Superia) for the best colour and the finest grain on film.

Use the bulb setting on your camera for night fireworks shots with your tripod...

If you don't want to carry around a ton of different speed films, just get to know your manual settings a little. I tend to take 200 or 400 film, depending on what I have in stock, I buy in bulk. Then depending on the situation, I set the film speed and let the camera set the aperture(aka...depth of field, f-stop) I have a Canon Rebel 2000, I love the manual settings, but there are times I don't want to take the time to set the entire shot up manually so I let the camera do it for me completely, or tell it what speed and let it figure out the rest for me.

Just remember - bright situations, 200 or 400 will be fine where it is. Don't go too slow with your shutter speed...below 90 is too hard to hand hold without blur and who wants to lug around a tripod. If you have motion...like parades, you'll need faster speed so they don't blur...try kicking 400 speed up to between 500 and 1000, that will stop the motion appropriately.

I like Fuji too, but Kodak is fine, and I've also used Costco Brand - Kirkland and thought it was just as good. Sometimes, it just depends on where you get it processed. :)

Hope that helps. Have fun.

Film speed is not a simple as some people purport it to be.

First of all, never use a film speed setting on your camera that is different than the speed of you film in the camera.

Film speed can be generally be purchased at speed from 64 to 1600.

The "slowest" film speed would be 64 and "fastest" would be 1600.

The faster the film, the more sensitive to light that it is. Therefore a 1600 speed film can better pick up objects at night. BUT, you dont get something for nothing.

Fast film has two drawbacks. #1) coarsness and definition.

The film is "faster" (more sensitive to light) because the crystals in the emulsion are larger. While this allows more light in quicker, it creates a coarse image. This is exceptionally true when a picture is enlarged.

Unfortunately, the definition of 1600 film can be medium to poor. For shots at distance or not requiring much detail, this should not be a problem.

64 film, would be fine for bright light shots. additionally, it will give you a very fine grain as well as very sharp definition. This makes it a good film to enlarge.

A good "overall" film speed would be 400. For an amature shutterbug, this a a good recommended film.

There are more expensive films, such as Kodak VR which offer 1000 speed light sensitivity with 200 grain atributes. This is accomplished by using flat silver halide crystals also known as "t grains" They are more expensive than regular films.

Having all this knowledge, I usually just use a 400 speed flim and ocassionally a 200 speed film and adjust my f-stop/shutter speed accordingly.

I guess I was no help at all.

You guys have been a huge help. I learned new things! :)

I purchased 200, 400 & 800 speed and am hoping for the best. I also broke down & picked up a few rolls of B&W, any tips for using it?

My one questtion for you is what are going to do with your pics? If you are looking for the normal size pics for your scrapbook kind of thing. The grain issue is not as important. If you want to make 8X10's and larger then it is more of an issue. For all around pictures and making the normal 3X5 or 4X6 or whatever size I would recomend the 400 speed. It allows you to do low light and fast action stop in sunshine real well. If you are lookking at making inlargements, then the grain issue comes into play. Then you want to use the slower speeds. The film today is so forgiving that you can do well with any of them. f you want to take a pic of say the Castle and enlarge it, I would then pick a slower film and if at night use a tripod. Most of us do not worry so much on the grain as long as they are in focus annd look decent. Have a great and magical trip. Enjoy taking your pictures and have fun doing it.

Just a few general tips, as the other folx have already touched upon the 'film' question.

1) Realize the camera, even in fullyautomatic mode, is stupid.
That means you get the credit for the good photos, and take the heat for the lousy ones. But you're (hopefully) not planning on showing the lousy ones. :)

(It amazes me when people ask me 'what type of camera did you use', as if the camera was what made all of the decisions that went into making a good photo.)

If you're not familiar with what the camera can do, take a few test rolls under differing conditions so you can get a feel for it.

2) Learn how to use the functions of the camera. With my SLR, I generally don't go full manual...I'll pick either an aperture or a shutter setting and let the camera pick the complimentary setting unless I know I'll need to over or under expose, then I'll try to set for that.

2a) Take the camera manual with you. :)

3) Remember that B&W is about textures and shades. It's a wonderful medium for photographing people because in many ways, color detracts from the expressions of the subjects. That being said, I've not tried B&W in the parks yet, and haven't thought what might be good photo ops. :)

There are any number of sites that offer tips on photography. Two that you may find useful are:

http://www.mousememories.com/hints_and_tips/photo_video.htm

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/nav/takingPics.shtml

Hope this helps,
Joe

Thanks again for all the tips, I've printed everything out. :)

Leaving tomorrow, hopefully I'll have something to show when I get back...

Take care & happy holidays!

One more thing I forgot.

Dont "backlight" your subject (unless you are striving for a specific effect).

If you take a picture with a bright sun or bright light BEHIND the subject, your subject will be too dark to see. Basically, all youwill get is a silloutte.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter