Camera recommendations?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Good evening! I am looking for a recommendation from all you fabulous photographers out there. I LOVE to take photographs but am not a skilled photographer with the knowledge to adjust lenses or settings, etc. And I am honest enough with myself to know I will probably never learn. I am looking to buy a high quality dslr type camera with wifi capability that isn't too large to carry for travel and adventure. There are so many on the market, and while I am willing to spend some money, I can't spend a fortune. (Maybe $500?) Thoughts?

DH has been looking at this camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 4K Wi-Fi Digital Camera

He buys a new camera every year :sad2: for one reason or another. He's bought SLRs and well as pocket cameras, cameras that are waterproof, cameras for recording videos, you name it, he has a camera for that purpose. I can't tell you what he finds appealing about this particular one (since as far as I'm concerned my cell phone camera is good enough), but I can tell you that he is very thorough - if not obsessive! - about researching cameras, and he's prepared to buy this one.

If you aren't going to be lens swapping or learning how to maximize use of the DSLR it's not worth spending $$ on it. I think something like one of the higher end Canon PowerShots would be perfectly serviceable -- decent enough glass size, automatic, and has wifi.

DH has been looking at this camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 4K Wi-Fi Digital Camera

He buys a new camera every year :sad2: for one reason or another. He's bought SLRs and well as pocket cameras, cameras that are waterproof, cameras for recording videos, you name it, he has a camera for that purpose. I can't tell you what he finds appealing about this particular one (since as far as I'm concerned my cell phone camera is good enough), but I can tell you that he is very thorough - if not obsessive! - about researching cameras, and he's prepared to buy this one.
I have the older zs-50 model.... I LOVE it. Entry level so I can play around with manual settings, small and easily carried in a purse or pocket, 30x zoom lens to capture great animal photos.... it's main drawback(keep in mind mine is a bit older) it is fairly limited for indoor,flashless shots of people,esp moving people. FOr those instances,I use my iphone for pics. (camera just isn't made for that kind of thoughtless photo taking) I love this camera for outdoor shots, and the zoom lens.(and I'm too lazy for a 'real' dslr) it also has wifi connection to my ipad for easy uploads. for OP, i concur with 1st pp..... if you don't want to play with settings etc, get a good point and shoot from that list/link. you'll be happier- honestly most phones nowadays provide the same quality as a point and shoot so I'd just use the phone.

The budget is too low for a good DSLR but If your not going to change lenses or learn to use it in a more advanced way I wouldn't recommend one anyway.

Start here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-pocketable-enthusiast-cameras

Those cameras are very good and offer you the chance to learn If you want.

If you aren't going to be lens swapping or learning how to maximize use of the DSLR it's not worth spending $$ on it. I think something like one of the higher end Canon PowerShots would be perfectly serviceable -- decent enough glass size, automatic, and has wifi.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really do struggle with what to do in regards to photography. In my experience, those who are knowledgeable and have spent a lot of time learning the craft tend to dismiss those of us who do not take the time to learn all the subtleties and just want to take great photos. I get that. I really do. I want more than what what my phone or a cheap point and shoot can deliver, but if I am not well versed in a better camera I don't want to carry something large around with me everywhere in Europe. I'll take a look at the options Thanks again

Thanks for the thoughts. I really do struggle with what to do in regards to photography. In my experience, those who are knowledgeable and have spent a lot of time learning the craft tend to dismiss those of us who do not take the time to learn all the subtleties and just want to take great photos. I get that. I really do. I want more than what what my phone or a cheap point and shoot can deliver, but if I am not well versed in a better camera I don't want to carry something large around with me everywhere in Europe. I'll take a look at the options Thanks again

It takes time to learn photography.

I agree that you don't want to carry something large around. That's what I found to be my biggest obstacle in practicing taking photos and learning what the camera would do.

It's so easy with a point and shoot. And the photos can be very nice. But then you see the quality of photo taken by others and you want more. At least that's me. I'm slowly learning how to manage a DSLR. I have more time now, and can concentrate on it.

But, I realized early on that the camera could only do so much. I have to find the skill level to go with it. And also that you take many shots to get the perfect one. The point and shoot is probably your best option, unless you have a lot of time to gain the skills needed to use a more advanced camera.

DH has a D-SLR with the interchanging lenses. It is great for road trips to national parks where we basically have unlimited space on what we could bring. Landscape photos turn out nice. He has some super-telephoto lens to zoom on animals far in the distance. I don't know the model, but it's a Canon.

However, even lower end then the dpreview link posted above our go-to camera is the Canon Powershot SX720. It is replaced with the SX730 and here's the info on Canon's website
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx730-hs-black

It is a great point and shoot. Photos rival the DSLR's. On a road trip to the Smokey Mountains last fall, he didn't even bring his big camera.

Something to think about, as you said you don't want something to large to carry for travel and adventure. Carrying around an extra lens plus the larger camera gets to be big vs a nice point and shoot. Sure the lenses just pop on and off but if you are in Times Square you likely aren't going to want to mess around with opening up your bag and messing around with changing out lenses. When we travel overseas and take trains between cities we are usually limited to one suitcase each and one backpack each. He just doesn't have room to take the big camera and extra lenses, as his backpack is filled with go-pro and accessories, iPad, etc.

In my experience, those who are knowledgeable and have spent a lot of time learning the craft tend to dismiss those of us who do not take the time to learn all the subtleties and just want to take great photos. I get that. I really do. I want more than what what my phone or a cheap point and shoot can deliver, but if I am not well versed in a better camera I don't want to carry something large around with me everywhere in Europe. I'll take a look at the options Thanks again[/QUOTE
Not necessarily dismissing you... but the truth is this, you will waste money buying a camera you won't use ...since you pay extra for those features,KWIM? A really nice point and shoot is a far better choice than a dslr with a bunch of pricey features you don't want or need..... a point and shoot with a great lens etc is great. you learn a lot on the above quoted links to camera forums, such as why a really good phone camera or good point and shoot is actually BETTER optimized for casual photos (not fiddling with a bunch of details) I learned this when I got my cute little Lumix zs-50 and couldn't figure out why it wasn't cooperating with me...:rotfl: I soon learned the above noted information....

However, even lower end then the dpreview link posted above our go-to camera is the Canon Powershot SX720. It is replaced with the SX730 and here's the info on Canon's website
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx730-hs-black

It is a great point and shoot. Photos rival the DSLR's.
See this is the camera I was going to recommend...I actually think of this as kind of a 'bridge' camera since you get a lot of features you can fiddle with,set on manual. Not nearly as expansive a true dslr, but a good combo camera,and I *think* this one works well as a point and shoot model too (set on auto everything) the reason I chose the Lumix as my 'combo' model was the actual viewfinder which I absolutely LOVE.( I also don't recommend mine to most people,it's not the best on autoshoot) to OP, both these cameras are around $300 or so and a great buy

I bought my son a Sony Alpha 5000. It's a great little camera. It normally sells for around $500 but I bought a refurbished one for less than $300. It came in the original box with all the original accessories and paperwork. I could not tell it was not new.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think I will go for a great point and shoot and see how I like it. I'm narrowing it down to one or two options now including those that have been suggested here

Thanks again :)

I have the older zs-50 model.... I LOVE it. Entry level so I can play around with manual settings, small and easily carried in a purse or pocket, 30x zoom lens to capture great animal photos.... it's main drawback(keep in mind mine is a bit older) it is fairly limited for indoor,flashless shots of people,esp moving people. FOr those instances,I use my iphone for pics. (camera just isn't made for that kind of thoughtless photo taking) I love this camera for outdoor shots, and the zoom lens.(and I'm too lazy for a 'real' dslr) it also has wifi connection to my ipad for easy uploads. for OP, i concur with 1st pp..... if you don't want to play with settings etc, get a good point and shoot from that list/link. you'll be happier- honestly most phones nowadays provide the same quality as a point and shoot so I'd just use the phone.

I have the Panasonic zs 50 also. They now have zs 70 now. Same camera only change is mp size. Put it into IA mode and the camera does it for you

Honestly, you're better off buying an $800 smart phone and using that. Your description puts you in the $500 to $900 compact camera market, but you say you'll never use the features. The biggest advantage over the high end smart phones is:
1) shooting in RAW and learning Lightroom where the bigger sensor helps you
2) controlling a real aperture
3) some of these cameras like the Sony RX100 will take very smooth video with less compression over the best smart phones.

I have the RX100 IV and a Samsung S8. The RX100 gets me the videos I want that don't look like I'm shooting through jello, but also got me into learning manual settings without the hassle of traveling with lenses.

I have the Panasonic zs 50 also. They now have zs 70 now. Same camera only change is mp size. Put it into IA mode and the camera does it for you

not to derail the thread, but I've never tried IA mode...I'll try it and see.... so far my best 'auto' mode is simply setting on Aperture and going from there(I also have a preset I created on my own with some upticks in light etc that I sometimes use) so far nothing gets me the sharpness I'm looking for as well as manual settings tho....thanks! I really love this little camera....I can't imagine taking pics without the viewfinder,etc.

Honestly, you're better off buying an $800 smart phone and using that. Your description puts you in the $500 to $900 compact camera market, but you say you'll never use the features. The biggest advantage over the high end smart phones is:
1) shooting in RAW and learning Lightroom where the bigger sensor helps you
2) controlling a real aperture
3) some of these cameras like the Sony RX100 will take very smooth video with less compression over the best smart phones.

I have the RX100 IV and a Samsung S8. The RX100 gets me the videos I want that don't look like I'm shooting through jello, but also got me into learning manual settings without the hassle of traveling with lenses.
I still haven't learned how to shoot in RAW..... I want to, but I haven't yet had the time to figure out what editing software etc I'd need to process shots.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter