Cameras and Horseback riding

GrammyPoppins

Earning My Ears
We are planning on horseback riding, and would like to bring our camera. It has been suggested that we not do so, however, since it is our first time, we would like pictures of this event. Does anyone know if we will be permitted to do so?

I'm going to move this to the Theme Park and stategies board - hopfully you'll get the answer there.

My husband took his camera last year when he and our daughter took the ride. I don't know who suggested you not take it - but it worked fine for him. If you don't get any other responses by the time he gets home; I can ask him more specific questions if you want.

Liz

Liz

On Disney's web site it says, "please do not bring cameras or pocketbooks." Was your husband able to take pictures during the ride, or was it restricted to before and after the ride? Also, is his camera the size of a one time use camera, or is it larger? I know that sounds like a strange question, but I was thinking about using a one time use camera because it can easily fit into a fanny pack. Thanks for the information.

I've never taken the trail ride at WDW and I don't know what their policy is, but I can think of a few reasons not to take a camera or purse with you on the ride.

I'm sure the horses could follow the trails with their eyes closed, but horses are prone to sudden spooks and stumbles; if you are carrying camera equipment, purses, etc., it could be dropped, frighten the horse, get stepped on... and someone would have to dismount and retrieve it. Some cameras make stranges noises, which could frighten someone's horse. You might also want to consider that you might need both hands to hold on with ;) .

If this sounds a little "paranoid"... sorry, it's from experience!

Have fun!!!!!!:bounce:

Ok Jeni

I talked to my husband at lunch and here is what he said:

He had no knowledge that cameras were not allowed -- and we did not look at the website prior to his ride. No one said anything at the time he checked in and signed away his life (there is an extensive sign in process).

He took our smaller camera and had it in his pocket. He took photos before, during and after the ride in full view of the guide - in fact I am sure he has photos of the guide!

He did say he would have not taken the larger camera. He did have his backpack and there are lockers where you sign in where you can stow your things and he left his backpack there.

I am thinking I covered all the bases here -- if you think of something else let me know.

Liz

I took my camera with me, (the horses are in a coma so, the clicking was not an issue, neither was the film advance noise). You do not need two hands to hold on with, you are riding western and only one hand is needed to hold the reins on a neckrein trained horse.
I even was turned almost completely around in the saddle taking pictures and no one said a word about it being a no no. (I have been riding horses since I was five and I am now one day older than dirt), so, this was not exactly a risky thing for me.
Yes, you do have to sign a release of liability. To not require this would leave Disney open to some pretty big problems IF one of those comatose horses ever woke up. :)
Pocketbooks are mainly because they are usually cumbersome and a pain. Remember, no sneakers and shoes with heels.

Gail

I'm so happy to hear that cameras are not a problem and my husband will be happy to hear that the horses are in a coma!! When you said remember no sneakers did you mean sandles? If sneakers is correct, then what do you wear on your feet? Thanks for your help.

Jennifer

I took mine along (digital in fannypak) and the CM rode ahead and took photos of my DD on the ride!

One time on a different ride in KY though, I had my huge zoom on my 35 mm. When the man helped me get off my horse, the camera hit him right in the mouth :eek: I felt so badly for him. He was already missing a couple of teeth though. I don't know if someone did the same thing to him ;)

No, I mean't no sneakers or sandals. You should wear something with a heel on it.
It is not because the horses could step on you, which they could mounting block or not, but, because the heel will prevent your foot from going through the stirrup, which can be very dangerous. BTW, if one steps on you sneakers are useless, it will hurt and leave a BIG mark/bruise.
When I taught, if a student wore sneakers or some other footware without a heel, the lesson they got that day was grooming the horse and what is appropriate for riding a horse.
I have seen folks wear sneakers on the trail ride, no one really says much, but, I do believe in safety first. BTW< I do wear sneakers when I ride, but, I don't use stirrups, and when I do, I wear my boots.

Gail: Really makes sense about the heals :) But it isn't a requirement, as I'm sure you know. I can't see people bringing special shoes for a 45mins trail ride ;) I've always worn sneakers when riding (trail rides) and so has my DD and DH. Even the girl scouts went riding with just tennis shoes. I guess if you have them and want to pack them, bring them, but otherwise they aren't required.

As a side (and I'll shorten the long story), my poor DH had to hold onto two horses while he was barefooted. He doesn't know a darned thing about horses, but it was an emergency situation. I told him, gee, if those horses would have stepped on your foot, they would have been broken. The idiots riding the horses were drunk and one guy almost hit a brick wall in our subdivision when they decided to race each other down the sidewalk. The horse threw him into a tree and broke the bit on the horse.

You are totally correct, they are not required.
After seeing horsebackriding accidents and having taught for a LONG time, I would not let anyone on a horse without proper footware and helmets. Just me being cautious. I don't expect anything to happen, but, just in case. Just like I don't expect to be in an auto accident, but, I do wear a seatbelt.......always.

Gail: I totally agree about safety! People who know me think I'm a safety freak! I wasn't told we had to wear heeled shoes, but now I know why they are safer, thanks to you!

I made sure my DD wore her helmet (she insisted as well) and even talked a little boy into it as well. I was surprised this wasn't a requirement as well for underaged children. I worked in an inpatient physical rehab and saw too many traumatic brain injuries from varies things. My DD always wears her helmet and rides in the back seat of the car.

Glad that you are into safety . Kind of figured you were. As an aside, helmets should be mandatory regardless of age. They are at all horse shows for hunter classes, flat and over fences. One wonders what would have happened to Christopher Reeves without a helmet.
A friend's mother lost her sense of smell after taking a fall (no helmet), now she wears one all the time. It is very scary, horses are "spooky" by nature, some very easily alarmed, some "bullet proof" but, even the most bullet proof horse can get spooked. A bee sting can do it, a leaf falling the wrong way, etc. They are "spooky" primarily because they have been ,for eons ,the prey of other animals, so, by nature are always on the flee mentality if alarmed. Luckily, Disney finds the most bullet proof ones they can, and seriously, they are practically comatose.
I am sure in your profession you see lots of accidents that could have been prevented, skate boards, scooters, bikes, etc. Nothing is without risk. We try to do what we can.
BTW, kudos to you about your child riding in the back seat. Best place for them. :)

Gail: Like I said, I was just as surprised WDW didn't require the helmets. The two or three rides around here required it.

My DD wouldn't even dream of riding in the front seat. I had do to a speech for college (better late than never ;) ) I did it on the use of air bags and children. I HATE to see children in the front seats. So many can be hurt and killed by them. My neighbor had her air bag in a Dodge Caravan explode when IT WAS SITTING STILL! I heard it and ran out. I saw her holding her ear and back. She said she was turned around (ignition was on) putting the kids in their seats when it malfunctioned. She went to the hospital and they tried to wipe the blood off her back, but it was under the skin. She couldn't hear well for days. I'd hate to think if one of the kids where there at that moment. They would have been killed. They come out at 200mph and are designed for a 175lb man. Most people don't know this. I understand the newer ones aren't quite as bad, but I'm not taing the chances.

I was kind of surprised the drunk wasn't hurt by hitting the tree, but drunks seem to always survive. My DH saw him hit and wouldn't go assist him. He thought he was dead. Course, he ended up with the two horses (five total).

RE: WDW horses. You're right, all horses can be spooked. They had one go after another one in the corral. The horse took off after another and scared the woman rider. That, in turn scared my DD and she wanted lead. The CM said that was the worst part of the ride, in the corral because some horses don't like the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter