Camper-related mods/projects - Post 'em!

dmaxphil

DIS Veteran
I thought this might be fun. A place to keep track of camper mods, tow vehicle mods, new outdoor gear, camping accessories, etc.

I'll start. I've made some mods to our FW in the recent past - new aluminum quad steps, new light fixtures, new kitchen faucet. This time, at the wife's request, I removed the ugly wall border from the kitchen backsplash area and added tile. She liked it so much she had me add it to the cubby space we keep our coffee maker and bread. Pictures.

i-CJ4bFNz-XL.jpg

i-pZ43bSQ-X3.jpg

i-BttgCnj-XL.jpg

Dmaxphil, that looks really good! I'm not going to be able to show this thread to my wife! She'll be making her a list for me!

We thought about putting up the same stuff in our 5er. I was wondering how that will hold up over time with the way a trailer flexes and the jarring from going down the road.

Time will tell. I used the same stuff the manufacturers are using with tiles now. I'm keeping some adhesive on hand as I know some of the individual tiles will come loose over time. Some were falling off the factory matting as I was cutting.

Keep the ideas coming. I have a new 5er to fix up!

I already have a couple of things.

Shelves on the wall next to the bed. With the king bed option there aren't any night stands.
Some coat hooks along the hallway wall. There are coat hooks, but they are in the bunk room.
Bought a storm door pull at the RV show. Stlll need to install it.
Add some extra shelves or pullout drawers in one of the pantry cabinets.

Not sure what else. We only had it home for 2 days before putting it in storage and it's been cold and snowy since.

j

We just upgraded to a Class A. We already replaced the carpet, I'm planning on doing the peel/stick tile on the kitchen backsplash. Hoping it will work well.

That's something I need to do, my side has a little book shelf but my wife's side doesn't have any shelfs.

Looking at the RV show I noticed this was a theme in many of the 5th wheels, no nightstand or no shelves. Obviously the designers have never stayed in one to know. I was looking specifically because I have a CPAP machine and need somewhere for it to rest. But even the DW likes to read before bed and to not have a place for a book is just wrong.

I'm planning on doing the peel/stick tile on the kitchen backsplash. Hoping it will work well.

I installed the Smart Tiles for a backsplash over two years ago in our class C and they're still holding strong. I'm really happy with them. You can see pics if you click on the link to our blog and root around in the Mods/Decor section. (Not being lazy...I'm at work where I'm blocked from Blogger, otherwise I'd post a link!)

Editing to add the link: http://winnieadventures.blogspot.com/2013/08/decor-smart-tiles-galley-backsplash.html

IMG_20130728_174619_378_zps3dc34a21.jpg

Last edited:
I think I might make a trip to Hobby Lobby and looks for a small shelf to mount on my DW's side of the bed. She's been hinting around for one. Also may stop by Lowes and look at the back splashes.

You thinking on the slide wall, or bedroom wall? There just doesn't seem to be a good spot in our camper. The king bed is the exact width of the slide.

I was thinking on the wood facing around the slide. We have a king bed too, it's as wide as the slide. I just measured it, the facing is 6" wide so that's something to go on. We talked about it and she only wants something for her phone at the least. The good news is she dose have a plug in on her side.

You thinking on the slide wall, or bedroom wall?
I saw some shelves at the RV show on the slide wall, but my BR slide has side windows that take up the whole wall. The only place is on the end of the side on the trim. I don't like that, but i don't have a better idea.

BR.jpg

j

We also have a king bed with no shelves, stands, nothing.

Our MH had a king bed - no night stands, shelves, not much extra room - I had them exchange the king for a queen (don't like kings), then DH put small removable (bought) shelves on slides - just lift off. Sooo much easier to make up bed without the shelves, now DW is happy!! :D

We have a window at head of bed, but none on the sides of slide, so our 'fix' was possible.

Our MH had a king bed - no night stands, shelves, not much extra room - I had them exchange the king for a queen (don't like kings), then DH put small removable shelves on slides - just lift off. Sooo much easier to make up bed without the shelves, now DW is happy!! :D
We need the king. The kids still have a tendency to crawl in bed occasionally.

My intended "Mod" is to add an additional battery (or 2) so that I can power my Pure Sine Wave inverter. That way I can still run the Microwave (at least briefly) while on the road. I don't have a generator, and quite frankly for the brief stops we have along the way, it's not worth it to start it up. Along that Lines, I might put some solar panels on the roof to help keep the batteries charged. A single Deep Cycle battery is good enough to keep the lights on and/or run the heater if necessary, but I really would like to be able to use the Microwave while on the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter