Camper-related mods/projects - Post 'em!

So we went back an looked at the campers again today. DW wanted to make sure because, of course, this is a lot of money especially for something that only gets used a couple times a year.

Anyway, we liked the bunk house because right now there are 5 of us, Myself and DW, DD11, DD19 and her Boyfriend BF22. The bunkhouse is nice so no one has to sleep on the couch or the converted Dinette (I hate doing that). So there is plenty of room in the bunkhouse. Looking today though, the DD11 can get into the top bunk but not as easily out of it. Also the bunkhouse has an outdoor kitchen, which is nice, but I don't see us using it a lot.

That said, we looked at Coachman Catalina 343QBDS which is a bit longer, no outside kitchen, nicer bathroom but instead of the bunkhouse there is a second Queen Bed. Given that the oldest won't be going on too many more vacations with us, we figured it's a better choice. It's also about 1K cheaper. So the DW put a deposit down today on it. Working the best financing and hopefully soon we will have a new RV. Have to clean up the old Coachman 27TBS.
343QBDS

Very nice. I see another one of us has gone to the other side. I like the 2 queen bed options. And with this trailer, you get the slide in your BR.

This site may be a little too late for you. I also found it after I worked the deal on my new trailer, but THIS site will give you an idea how much the dealer made on you. I thought I worked a decent deal, especially since I had an old trade in that wasn't "mint". If the site is right, I got mine for about $1800 over cost.

Enjoy the swap from old to new. In my house, it turned into a fair amount of replacement, because DW said "we can't put that old stuff in a new trailer." :)

j

So we went back an looked at the campers again today. DW wanted to make sure because, of course, this is a lot of money especially for something that only gets used a couple times a year.

Anyway, we liked the bunk house because right now there are 5 of us, Myself and DW, DD11, DD19 and her Boyfriend BF22. The bunkhouse is nice so no one has to sleep on the couch or the converted Dinette (I hate doing that). So there is plenty of room in the bunkhouse. Looking today though, the DD11 can get into the top bunk but not as easily out of it. Also the bunkhouse has an outdoor kitchen, which is nice, but I don't see us using it a lot.

That said, we looked at Coachman Catalina 343QBDS which is a bit longer, no outside kitchen, nicer bathroom but instead of the bunkhouse there is a second Queen Bed. Given that the oldest won't be going on too many more vacations with us, we figured it's a better choice. It's also about 1K cheaper. So the DW put a deposit down today on it. Working the best financing and hopefully soon we will have a new RV. Have to clean up the old Coachman 27TBS.
343QBDS
Congrats on the new rig!

Camper mods are done and getting ready for a new camping season! DSC_0976 (800x533).jpg
New backsplash and added 2 outlets on counter. DSC_0977 (800x533).jpg
Added strip led lights under counter and light switch on side.DSC_0978 (800x533).jpg
Adjustable shower height, (thank you camper shows) for the little woman!

My DW shared this with me on FaceBook. Not sure where it would go in the camper, maybe in the bedroom, but I figured it would fit right in here.

DisneyQuotes_zpsokcqxltv.jpg~original

I was looking back for something and seen this. Teamubr, we just bought a 24"x 48" canvas and my DW has the vinyl machine and she's going to attempt to make this for our camper, I will be sure to share the end result with you.

DW has the vinyl machine and she's going to attempt to make this for our camper, I will be sure to share the end result with you.
Thanks! Where are you going to put it? I only have one wall in our 5er that something that big would fit and it's in our bedroom.

Hope it turns out well.

j

Made the mistake of going to Hobby Lobby today,
20160712_210344_zpsylmmpq1y.jpg

They have metal signs half off this week, I picked these up for the camper I think, I'll find somewhere for them, hard to pass up for $16 for the pair. Also my wife has been collecting the princesses shoe ornaments over the past few trips, picked us this shadow box for them, I'm believe we are going to be decorating our guest bed with Disney items, next time Tiggerdad and his bunch visit they will have a better themed guest room.
20160712_210517_zpsfjjoh7w7.jpg

I told me DW that she could only buy 5 more, she gave me that crazy look and said after the princesses she going to collect the villain next :sad2:

BTW, I was wondering if we could have this thread pinned under the truck/towing thread? I'm sure that there will be some folks doing projects on their campers, I have a few planned I know.

Thanks! Where are you going to put it? I only have one wall in our 5er that something that big would fit and it's in our bedroom.

We have a open spot on the wall that divides the living room and the rear bunk room. We really wanted to go right on the wall, but was worried about removing it if or when we upgraded 5er's again, so my DW suggest the canvas and I'm guessing about a dozen command strip to hold it up! Haha

So I was surprised that our new Coachmen Catalina 343QBDS did NOT have any 12 Volt outlets. It didn't even occur to me to check when we were shopping around. Since we are going down to the Fort in August and we tend to "Boondock" (Wal-mart, truck stops, etc...) on our way down, we don't have any electric to run the AC. Only the batteries (and Propane) to run things. Don't want to crank up a generator either. That's just rude.

So at a minimum, we need Fans, So I ordered a couple of 12 Volt fans https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SS62PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and of course they don't work without the 12 volt outlets.

So I ordered one of these for the "Master" bedroom and one of these for the other bedroom. I installed them this weekend. The one in the Master bedroom was relatively simple. There is a cabinet/counter with drawers and at the bottom of the stack of drawers was the power center. So it was easy (relatively speaking) to run the wires and hook it up nice and neat. The one for the front room wasn't so easy. I could have done it in the wall for the front room as there was a 12 volt source on the opposite side (where the TV and Stereo are located) but it would have looked out of place. So I put it in a cabinet below the TV and next to the stereo. It's nice and out of the way and very clean looking (Pictures to follow).

DW was a bit concerned before I did the work. She was worried about seeing wires cobbled or that it would look horrible. Since it's "Her" camper (She picked it, she pays for it, I Fix/maintain it), I had to ask her opinion first about the location. She was still concerned, but in the end it turned out great.

I do like the one for the Master Bedroom as it has the 12 Volt outlet, USB ports AND a Volt Meter so I can see how much voltage the batteries are putting out, but it's a fairly bright blue LED display. Not sure yet, but I can see the complaint about the light from my DW forth coming. I may hookup a push button switch (SPNO) as a way to "Spot" check the voltage instead of an "Always On" mode.

So here are pictures of the 12 volt outlets. The main living area (by the Front Bedroom) was placed under the TV next to the radio.
double-front.jpg
One of the outlets (above) is a 12 Volt (cigarette type plug) and the other is 2 USB charging ports.
double-front1.jpg
It was a simple thing to pull the radio out (4 screws) and tap into a 12V line.

The below picture is a quasi-before (I didn't take any before photos because I usually forget those things. The photo is from Internet, but it's the same make/model). It's the storage cabinet in the rear bedroom. You can see the 3 drawers on the left. The power center is actually under the third drawer. So it was easy to take the drawers out to get behind the cabinet and to the power center to install the "Triple" unit back here.
Rear-Clean.jpg
Below is the triple unit with a Volt meter, 12 V outlet and USB Ports.
Triple-Rear.jpg

Below is a slightly different angle. I think this location is very convenient. It's not very obtrusive, yet very accessible.
Triple-Rear1.jpg

Great add, Paul.

I have a 2016 Coachmen Chapparel. It has 2 USB plugs in the middle bedroom (bunk room), but I don't recall seeing any others. My old 5er had cigarette lighter plugs everywhere there was a coax TV hookup.

j

Great add, Paul.

I have a 2016 Coachmen Chapparel. It has 2 USB plugs in the middle bedroom (bunk room), but I don't recall seeing any others. My old 5er had cigarette lighter plugs everywhere there was a coax TV hookup.

j
So did my previous Coachmen Capri 27tbs. It even had some in OTHER locations too. It didn't have any USB ports, so I had to buy those cigarette light plugs to USB (gotta keep those phones charged), but they are cheap.

Now in the new one, no more need. I have the 12V plugs AND USB. (Each of the USB plugs have 2 USB ports. One at 2.1A and one at 1A).

Not sure what Coachmen was thinking, particularly with all the 12 V options/devices out there for RVs.

Bumping an old thread - apologies. You sort of lose sight of all the stuff you do to a camper over time.

Recapping completed mods since first post
- Replaced all suspension components (springs, equaflex)
- Swapped 16" wheels and tires with 17.5" Alcoas
- Added TV/entertainment area to outside storage compartment
- swapped original batwing antenna with digital jack

Ongoing/Current mods
- Repainting interior walls and cabinets
- Replaced Furniture
- reupholstered valances
- replacing linoleum with vinyl planks
- replace day/night shades with roller shades
- Swapping original 12 cu ft Dometic fridge with Samsung residential

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter