Campground in S. GA or N. FL?

bobcat

<font color=magenta>I had a horrible case two year
Were driving from Ohio in 21 days and my traveling companion has decided not to go. No problem I've driven to WDW by myself before and the drive isn't bad, just long. We were planning on driving straight through with two drivers but I know from experience that I can't do the trip by myself in one day. I just get too fatiqued and need to stop.

I am looking for a safe campground about 3-4 hours away from WDW, looks like around the GA FL line. Anyone have experience at any? There's a few listed in the AAA campbook in that area. Just looking for a place to pull in, park the van, and sleep.

Thanks!

Check the KOA camgground web site, or the Jellystone campground web site. I am positive there is a KOA or Jellystone in Daytona Beach, Georgia, I am not sure, and I am fairly certain there is a KOA in St. Augistine. There is also a Ben's Hitching Post campground in Ocala.

I believe there is a KOA in Valdosta. I have never stayed there though but Valdosta is right on the I-75 and is real close to the Fla line. Ocala is close to Disney but if you can make it as far as ocala you are too close to Disney to justify stopping. Valdosta would be prob 3-4 hours away.

The KOA in Valdosta is where we always stop .... we drive from MI. It is about 4 hours from there to WDW, so makes for perfect check-in timing. While it is no FW, it is much nicer than many of the other campgrounds we have stayed at one the way down.

Thanks guys! I knew you would know! :D

I did see that there was a KOA in Valdosta when I was checking out the camp book. This really sounds like a good place for us to stop. We just need a place to pull in a nd crash, but since I am a single Mom I am concerned with safety. Every KOA I have ever stayed at have always seemed very safe.

Thanks again for the replies!

Just got back, and we passed a campground off I-75 just as you enter FL. It was called Jennings, and looked nice from the interstate.

We always gas up at the Flying J just at the GA-FL border and spend the night there. It used to make my mom nervous thinking about us doing that, but she went with us last month and agreed that it was quite safe. If you get there by about 8 p.m. you can get a good spot and be settled before all the rest of the rv's pull up.

Barbara
Just back from a wonderful trip!!!
Only 311 to go!!

The KOA in Valdosta is a very good option, It isn't out in the boonies or anything. Actually it is in a very large shopping area. There are two large outlet malls right there where you will be, one on either side of the road. I live about 25 minutes from there so I go past it all the time. I believe it is pretty safe and there are lots of places to eat right nearby. It is actually about 10 minutes past Valdosta, the exit is for "Twin Lakes/Clyattville" Go up the exit ramp and turn left. Get on the road that goes past the Westpoint Pepperell store and keep going, its right there. Hope this helps. :wave:

We have tried the campground in Jennings. Looks nice from the road, but awful up-close. The worst part is that they have these light posts at the edge of every paved site pad. They are very difficult to manuever around when you have a big rig and have been on the road all day (many of them look like people had "missed" when getting into their sites .... about half of them were tipped over .... LOL). The KOA in Valdosta is easier to get into .... makes the choice for us!

Bobcat, Being a single mom, give yourself a break and don't try to drive so far. After all, you have precious cargo! When I drove down I stayed in Columbia SC the first night. Sure, it was early in the day but it was well worth it! We got an early start the next day and arrived at FW around 3:00 PM. This worked well, because I had enough energy to set up the site.

TC, looking forward to meeting you and yours at the DIS Meet! :cool:

Oh, and another thing...Bobcat, as single Moms traveling alone with our kids we have to be prepared for emergencies. Make sure you join AAA before leaving home (it is definately worth the expense!), carry a cell phone in your car-along with a charger that works off the cigarette lighter & a phone book. And DO NOT travel after dark and stick to the main roads. Gee, now I'm starting to sound just like a mom!

TC :cool:

Thanks for the advice TC! I drove to WDW two years ago and know to pace myself. I am going to aim for the Koa in Valadosta, but if I get tired and need to stop earlier I will.

Got to love my dad, before I was allowed to drive a car at 16 I had to learn basic car maintenance and how to change a tire. It has come in handy many, many times! And even though I hate the things I carry a cell phone for emergencies.

Hey TC you are a Mom! Habits are hard to break. Thanks for caring!

The KOA in Valdosta sounds great, but I can't find it listed on the KOA website. Does anyone know if that campground has its own web site so I can take a look at it.
Thanks.... Pete

I actually confused myself! The AAA campbook lists a Riverpark campground at Valdosta, which gets the AAA seal. I am actually coming down I 95 and there is a KOA in Kingsland, Jacksonville North KOA, that is right off I 95 and on the FLA/GA border. Anyone stayed here?

This is the one that I had been thinking about when I read this post.

I had been looking for campgrounds to stay fairly close to Disney also and I've found one that sounds good, but I've never actually visited. It is called Anastasia State Park. It is located in St. Augustine Beach and they charge about $20 for a site with water and electricity. I had a reservation and then cancelled it because my husband and son wanted to stay at a hotel instead. So now we are staying at the Howard Johnson's Beach Resort Hotel which is supposed to border the park. We will be staying there on August 3rd.

If anyone has stayed at Anastasia State Park maybe they will give you their opinions of it.

Hope you find a nice campground that you feel safe and rested at!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter