Campgrounds to stay at on way to Disney

We did stay a St Mary's last Friday. It was as nice as usual. They continue tto improve tha campground, litlle changes here and there. I think the kids would love the pool, mini-golf and especially the jump pad to work off some energy after a long day on the road.

we always make a reservation, online. In our case it is the end of a 13 hr drive, would not want to have a spot. Just me.
Let me echo PaHunter's idea. We travel to WDW in late Dec. to early Jan and we make our reservations about 3 months before we leave. With our current dogs ( The Savage Sisters who just turned 2 ) we need a place that has a dog park where they can run around after a day on the road. We also prefer not to travel at night so with an earlier sunset we look for a place we can make by 4pm. Leg one of our trip also has us skirting DC and Richmond Va so I add at least 33 % of projected travel time for the unexpected delays and needed stops ie Potty and Fuel. Happily we have found places that meet our needs and work very well for us and look forward to staying at them as well. So much so we are planning to add an extra night at each during our return trip next year

We did stay a St Mary's last Friday. It was as nice as usual. They continue tto improve tha campground, litlle changes here and there. I think the kids would love the pool, mini-golf and especially the jump pad to work off some energy after a long day on the road.
Thank you! I’m sure the kids would love it too!

Let me echo PaHunter's idea. We travel to WDW in late Dec. to early Jan and we make our reservations about 3 months before we leave. With our current dogs ( The Savage Sisters who just turned 2 ) we need a place that has a dog park where they can run around after a day on the road. We also prefer not to travel at night so with an earlier sunset we look for a place we can make by 4pm. Leg one of our trip also has us skirting DC and Richmond Va so I add at least 33 % of projected travel time for the unexpected delays and needed stops ie Potty and Fuel. Happily we have found places that meet our needs and work very well for us and look forward to staying at them as well. So much so we are planning to add an extra night at each during our return trip next year
Oh yes we definitely have to plan for those stops as well. I can’t decide if we need to leave on a Friday & take our time & possibly do a stop in Savannah on our way down or just leave early on Saturday & make it all the way to St Mary’s.

We got back from Disney a week ago and stayed at Savannah South KOA Ga for the night on the way down. Pretty nice. On the way back, we stayed at Santee Lakes KOA SC and it wasn't bad. Just sand and dirt everywhere. I didn't see any gravel or paved sites.

We got back from Disney a week ago and stayed at Savannah South KOA Ga for the night on the way down. Pretty nice. On the way back, we stayed at Santee Lakes KOA SC and it wasn't bad. Just sand and dirt everywhere. I didn't see any gravel or paved sites.
Sounds like you made the right choice in Santee Lakes with the KOA we spent a night at the place next door on our first RV trip to WDW never again that pace is a dump even our dogs didn't like it there.
In my earlier posts I never mention where we do ove to stay now In NC we like Carolina Crossroads at Roanoke Springs exit 171 of 95 in NC. In SC we love Camp Lake Jasper exit 8 off 95 in Hardeeville SC Both are extremely clean with great staffs

When we used to drive down from Maine, our last overnight before we reached the Fort was the KOA in St.Mary's . It was a long drive and just knowing we only had 3/4 hours and we would be at the Fort, what a great feeling. Now that we live in Tennessee and it's only a 10hr drive instead of a 23hr drive, we leave around noonish and able to reach Orlando before we stop for the night. Love that we're able to get to Disney earlier.

It just depends on your comfort level but if it was me, I would probably do that whole trip in a day (Driving North from Orlando, I usually try to make it to Rocky Point or Roanoke Rapids, NC before we stop for the night).

If I was going to stop, on the way south, I'd probably drive NC to somewhere between Jacksonville and Sanford and stop at a Walmart overnight and then get back on the road early to get to FW early. On the way North, I'd probably always do it in one day just to get home or make a small detour to stop in Jekyll Island or Hilton Head if the weather is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!