Campsites and Disney Visa 0% financing

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
Help! I've called Visa and WDTC and can't get a definitive answer!! They both just say "I would think so".

As you all probably know Disney Visa offers 6 mo 0% financing on 'select WDW packages'. The most I can 'drill down' is (based on the verbiage) that this is available for 'packages at WDW resort hotels'. And that it's an '8 digit reservation number' to qualify for 0% which the CM at WDTC assured me is any trip booked via WDTC, including the campground.

Does anyone know if the 0% offer includes packages with reservations at the campground?

I would assume so based on the reservation number being 8 digits, but you know what they say about assuming!

I cannot tell you a for sure answer but its for vacation packages.
If you booked a package that includes accommodations AND tickets then you should qualify.
Personally I've found that its not always even worth 0% for 6 months because I use my Disney Visa for other purchases as well and only a certain amount of what you pay goes towards the 0% portion so then I struggle to hurry up and pay off what does have an interest charge so I can pay off the 0% charges by that 6 month mark. If that makes any sense IDK lol.
For example I'm going in December and my pacakage will need to be paid off in November plus I'll be putting lots of Christmas gift purchases on that card during that time as well so then I have to try to pay off the Christmas gift portion quickly so that I can pay off the Disney package portion within that 6 months or they charge you all the interest.

I cannot tell you a for sure answer but its for vacation packages.
If you booked a package that includes accommodations AND tickets then you should qualify.
Personally I've found that its not always even worth 0% for 6 months because I use my Disney Visa for other purchases as well and only a certain amount of what you pay goes towards the 0% portion so then I struggle to hurry up and pay off what does have an interest charge so I can pay off the 0% charges by that 6 month mark. If that makes any sense IDK lol.
For example I'm going in December and my pacakage will need to be paid off in November plus I'll be putting lots of Christmas gift purchases on that card during that time as well so then I have to try to pay off the Christmas gift portion quickly so that I can pay off the Disney package portion within that 6 months or they charge you all the interest.

Oh, I didn't think of that! So what you're saying is that if I'm paying the 6 mos off at, say, $200/month and I charge $50.00, I'd have to pay $250.00 that month to stay 'current' on my 6 months worth of payments?

I use it very rarely and always pay it off if I use it (I never keep a running balance, not at 15%!) so I'd probably be OK, but it is something to think about!

I'm hoping it includes the campsites! But the verbiage is "WDW resort hotels" and I know that there are often discounts or specials run that don't include the campsites. I don't want to put it on the card only to find out it doesn't qualify.

On the other hand, I'm going to book this month as soon as 2019 opens and we won't be going til early May 2019. Disney doesn't require it being paid off til 45 days before arrival, which would be mid-March 2019. That's like 9 months to pay it off and IIRC Disney doesn't charge interest. I think I'm better off just paying the $200.00 deposit at booking and paying it off monthly (or in whacks) directly to Disney.

Yeah basically you are paying off the charges that have interest before you are paying off the 0% interest charges.
I tend to pay off what I charge each month but if I happen to charge a lot for example around Christmas time I can't pay it off in full and that's when its annoying that I'm working off only the portion that has interest.

You should read the credit card agreement. Some cards apply payments to 0% deals first, others don’t. It should say on the promo materials or definitely on your card agreement.

Does anyone know if the 0% offer includes packages with reservations at the campground?

As long as you reserve a "package" the campground qualifies -- but it must be room+tickets, room+tickets+dining or room+dining and NOT a "room-only" (campsite-only) reservation.

if I happen to charge a lot for example around Christmas time I can't pay it off in full

I'd suggest using a different card for your Christmas purchases if you can't pay off the full amount. Being charged interest for part of your charges negates the "points" earned on the Disney Visa. A different card with a lower interest rate might be better for those big expenses that you need longer to pay off.

Also -- be aware that if you make multiple payments during a billing cycle, only the first will apply to regular charges and any additional payments (including returns/refunds) will be applied to the promotional balance.

Enjoy your vacation!

As long as you reserve a "package" the campground qualifies -- but it must be room+tickets, room+tickets+dining or room+dining and NOT a "room-only" (campsite-only) reservation.

I'd suggest using a different card for your Christmas purchases if you can't pay off the full amount. Being charged interest for part of your charges negates the "points" earned on the Disney Visa. A different card with a lower interest rate might be better for those big expenses that you need longer to pay off.

Also -- be aware that if you make multiple payments during a billing cycle, only the first will apply to regular charges and any additional payments (including returns/refunds) will be applied to the promotional balance.

Enjoy your vacation!
My personal policy is not to have more than one credit card.
It keeps my charges to a minimum that I can handle meaning that I won't get myself into any major debt.

My 2 cents:
It will be covered in the 6 month rule if it is a package.

I do it all the time and use that card a lot. I try to keep the total of the trip in the bank until the 6 month mark. I just pay off 100% of the other charges every month. Sometimes I add 25-50 $ over to go towards my trip. The interest rate is too high to not pay it off every month.

I just booked a cruise for 10/19 (due 12/10) and payed a tad over what I owed for the month.

My 2 cents:
It will be covered in the 6 month rule if it is a package.

I do it all the time and use that card a lot. I try to keep the total of the trip in the bank until the 6 month mark. I just pay off 100% of the other charges every month. Sometimes I add 25-50 $ over to go towards my trip. The interest rate is too high to not pay it off every month.

I just booked a cruise for 10/19 (due 12/10) and payed a tad over what I owed for the month.

I got it covered. We're booked but not going til May 2019. That gives me 10 months (approx) with 0% financing by paying it off monthly or in 'chunks' online directly to Disney. If I'd used my Disney Visa I'd only have had 6 months to pay it off, could have gotten stuck with HUGE interest if I'd missed the deadline, and have had to worry about using my card for purchases and paying off purchase balances + the trip. Yes, I'm giving up 'points' but at only 1% I'm only giving up around $21.00. No biggie.

We have the ability to pay upfront, but why give up the interest on our savings when I can make interest free payments for 10 months rather than 6? I think the Visa deal is great if you're going in less than 6 months and can't pay up front but otherwise, I don't think it's something I'll be doing.

We have found our Disney Visa card only useful for the exclusive character meet-n-greet (EPCOT) and occasional merchandise/dining promotions. The 0% interest rate is rather misleading (and doesn't even apply to their cruises)! We never book "packages" since we are annual pass holders.

Thought Disney points where 2% on resort charges. While I’ve never gotten 0% on anything other then my DVC downpayment. I’ve also made sure I could pay the card or down quickly after the trip. So I get the points which each year has paid for a ver nice dinner and made it useful enough to keep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!