Can’t decide when to go

Haley R

DIS Veteran
Dh and I have been planning our Japan trip for about two months now. We know where we want to go, where we will stay, how long we want to be there, all of that good stuff. We were dead set on the end of May but now I’m really starting to question that. It may be our only chance to go and it looks like quite a few rides are closed at the end of May. I particularly wanted to ride journey and it’s closed then. Should we consider early April or another time next year?

Yes, you definitely should go whenever you can. Although I highly recommend May, I still enjoyed our trip in mid July. And I'm sure a trip in April or the fall would be nice too.

Last edited:
Thanks that makes me feel better. We are going no matter what I'm just struggling with the timing. I really don't want to miss out on some of those big rides because of maintenance. It looks like this year Pirates, Space, TOT, and Journey were all closed at one point in May and Journey was closed all through July so we would have to go before May/after July to ride it. I considered beginning of April, but I just can't decide!

If you pick the beginning of April, please come back and write a trip report all about that time of year so I can study up for my 2020 trip! Thank you!

If you pick the beginning of April, please come back and write a trip report all about that time of year so I can study up for my 2020 trip! Thank you!
Haha okay will do. It all depends on plane tickets for us. We are using reward travel through United and flights back from Tokyo are limited for some reason.

I’m just looking at this year’s closures. I thought TDR stuck to a pretty consistent schedule from year to year. Is that not the case?

I’m just looking at this year’s closures. I thought TDR stuck to a pretty consistent schedule from year to year. Is that not the case?

Yes and no. Space Mountain finally went back to a 3-4 weeks closure this year after long 2-3 months annual refurbishments since 2007. Journey to the Center of the Earth had a much longer closure this year which I suspect was for more intensive than usual work inside. Normally, TOT and Journey are never closed at the same time, but this year it happened.

Yes and no. Space Mountain finally went back to a 3-4 weeks closure this year after long 2-3 months annual refurbishments since 2007. Journey to the Center of the Earth had a much longer closure this year which I suspect was for more intensive than usual work inside. Normally, TOT and Journey are never closed at the same time, but this year it happened.
We hopefully will be booking plane tickets next week so I just need to have a general idea of what might be closed in May. Otherwise, I may try to go March-April if we can.

I don't think they stick to a regular schedule. Some refurbishments are more extensive than others. Some are for re-themes. Some are pretty minor refreshes.

We're going in May 2017. Unfortunately, rides being down is just one of the risks associated with visiting a Disney theme park (unless you happen to be a local who can visit whenever you want to).

I don't think they stick to a regular schedule. Some refurbishments are more extensive than others. Some are for re-themes. Some are pretty minor refreshes.

We're going in May 2017. Unfortunately, rides being down is just one of the risks associated with visiting a Disney theme park (unless you happen to be a local who can visit whenever you want to).
Did you mean 2019? Lol

Seems like quite a few people on the dis are going in May. I guess we will just have to see what we can get for plane tickets.

May travelers, please do trip reports or a just-back when your trip is over! We're planning for May 2020 and I'd love to get some hints. :)

Did you mean 2019? Lol

Seems like quite a few people on the dis are going in May. I guess we will just have to see what we can get for plane tickets.

Lol, yes. I must have been thinking about how we last went in May 2017!

I was planning to go last june to Tokyo with my family, but I saw that both Journey to the Center of the Earth and Space Mountain would be closed then. I changed my plans and went to Indonesia instead (and got a girlfriend there!)

I booked things for the end of September and it was perfect. Only ride closures then are Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse and Jumpin' Jellyfish. Will be my parents first visit to Tokyo Disney and my girlfriend's first visit to a Disney park period.

Looking at the closure calendar that stretch until March 2019 right now, Indiana Jones is closing in January as well as Aquatopia. The Little Mermaid show is a March closure. Over at Tokyo Disneyland, Roger Rabbit will have a long two months closure, Splash Mountain is down in February as well as Star Tours. So all those rides will be ok for May and June 2019... Check back in September when April refurbs are posted and it will help you get a clearer picture.

My deal breakers are:

- Indiana Jones Adventure

- Journey to the Center of the Earth

- Tower of Terror

- Sindbad

- Space Mountain

- Pooh's Hunny Hunt

- Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek!

If any of those rides are closed when I plan to go, I will strongly reconsider my trip... if two are closed, I go elsewhere.

I was planning to go last june to Tokyo with my family, but I saw that both Journey to the Center of the Earth and Space Mountain would be closed then. I changed my plans and went to Indonesia instead (and got a girlfriend there!)

I booked things for the end of September and it was perfect. Only ride closures then are Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse and Jumpin' Jellyfish. Will be my parents first visit to Tokyo Disney and my girlfriend's first visit to a Disney park period.

Looking at the closure calendar that stretch until March 2019 right now, Indiana Jones is closing in January as well as Aquatopia. The Little Mermaid show is a March closure. Over at Tokyo Disneyland, Roger Rabbit will have a long two months closure, Splash Mountain is down in February as well as Star Tours. So all those rides will be ok for May and June 2019... Check back in September when April refurbs are posted and it will help you get a clearer picture.

My deal breakers are:

- Indiana Jones Adventure

- Journey to the Center of the Earth

- Tower of Terror

- Sindbad

- Space Mountain

- Pooh's Hunny Hunt

- Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek!

If any of those rides are closed when I plan to go, I will strongly reconsider my trip... if two are closed, I go elsewhere.
The problem is we will be ready to book plane tickets next week and we will need to book them ASAP because reward flights for May are going like crazy. Apparently a lot of people want to fly to Tokyo in May.

The problem is we will be ready to book plane tickets next week and we will need to book them ASAP because reward flights for May are going like crazy. Apparently a lot of people want to fly to Tokyo in May.

Wait until this weekend and look over the refurb calendar to see what comes up for April. Anything you see there will already be done or you will get an end date.

Wait until this weekend and look over the refurb calendar to see what comes up for April. Anything you see there will already be done or you will get an end date.
Do you think they will post April closures this weekend? That would be helpful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!