Can anyone explain Non Refundable Deposit to me?

Gentry2004

DIS Veteran
Looking at booking our first non-Disney cruise. I think I've found one I'm interested in (Harmony OTS to the Eastern Caribbean) but when I price it out it says non-refundable deposit. I don't want that. Some googling seems to indicate I should be able to book with a traditional deposit if I'm willing to give up some discount (I am) but how do I do that? I've tried on both the RC website and the Costco Travel website. Thanks in advance!

if you proceed with the booking there will be a check box for refundable deposit. It's after you put in all the names of cruisers. Once the names are in the next page has check boxes where you can pick dining, gratuities, vacation insurance and a refundable deposit

You have the option to select a refundable deposit after you input the traveler information. I thought you could select it on the Costco Travel website, but they might have changed that. You can also call Costco or RC to get the refundable option.

We're on Harmony Eastern in October!

If we choose to select "refundable" does that mean the deposit is truly refundable up until final payment? I am only used to Disney Cruises so I am confused when looking at the Royal Caribbean site. Thank you!

If we choose to select "refundable" does that mean the deposit is truly refundable up until final payment? I am only used to Disney Cruises so I am confused when looking at the Royal Caribbean site. Thank you!
I believe that is true. I have cancelled a booking before final payment and gotten a refund with no problem. I always book the refundable option.

Yes it's fully refundable

With nonrefundable you're charged a $100 change fee and the rest of the deposit is issued as a future cruise credit that needs to be used within a year of the issue date.

I was coming here to post this exact question lol So glad to see your post ;-) Since Disney has nothing that interests us for spring break 2021 I was thinking of trying RCL but saw the deposit was non-refundable. Now I see I just didn't to far enough with the booking to choose 'refundable'. Will go back and suss it out. :thumbsup2

I tried that but i don’t get the option to choose the refundable deposit 🤷🏻‍♀️
Is the cruise you are looking at within the final payment time frame? I just priced one for 2020 and after I input all the guests names and birth dates it took me to a page where I could pick dining time, prepay gratuities, or add the refundable deposit option. It was $198 to change to refundable for the cruise I priced.

Um, holy crap. I just tried this and they want an extra $595 per room for the refundable deposit! That is shady!!!

Um, holy crap. I just tried this and they want an extra $595 per room for the refundable deposit! That is shady!!!
Which cruise and what stateroom category are you looking at?

For me it's typically $12-$25/day in additional cost to go non-refundable for non-suite category rooms.

I typically see about $200-$250 CAD more....but it depends on the ship, date and room. We always book refundable, and then will switch it to non-refundable when we book our flights...IF....the current non-refundable price is less than our booked refundable cost (which usually isn't the case as we book early)

Which cruise and what stateroom category are you looking at?

For me it's typically $12-$25/day in additional cost to go non-refundable for non-suite category rooms.
I'm looking at a 2021 Greek Isles cruise on the Odyssey. Two interior staterooms, nothing fancy!

I'm looking at a 2021 Greek Isles cruise on the Odyssey. Two interior staterooms, nothing fancy!
Wow no kidding! I did a mock booking and saw the same charges. You could ask a travel agent, but my guess is that Europe cruises are booked by more Europeans and I know they have different laws regarding re-pricing and cancellations and that might play into it.

Brand new ship. On new ships they are about guaranteed to sell out well in advance. Doesn't make sense to let people wait till late in the process to cancel and them have to try and sell the room. On older ships and less desirable itineraries, they can let people do that easier. You want to do it on a popular cruise, you have to pay up.

Yup. It's a price difference thing. You'll pay less if you choose non-refundable, because they've got you more locked in :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter