Can I move an ABD deposit

mimmiepnp

DIS Veteran
With such uncertainty for early next summer with international travel and the thought of cruise restrictions, we are thinking of doing an Alaska ABD next summer and postpone our Italy ABD and Greece ABD embedded cruise until 2022. Will ABD allow me to move both refunds (both part of same trip) over to a different ABD for next summer or would I lose the refunds? Thank you

When did you book them? There are different policies depending on when you booked.

Sayhello

I booked preCovid on opening day for DCL cruises for next summer.
Then I believe you can move the deposits once. That's the old "normal", pre-Covid policy. I'm not sure if you can move 2 deposits to one new ABD, though. I'd check with ABD to make sure on all of this.

Sayhello

I've been able to move 2 deposits to another ABD, however it was during the mess where they cancelled trips and I was trying to move funds to another where payment was due or upcoming. It was a lot of waiting on hold and make sure you get an experienced vacationista. It's not as clean as a transaction because they like to keep the same reservation number. But if you are subject to the old policy and wasn't cancelled on, I am not sure how flexible they will be, but given the current environment, they might let you do it anyway, just ask.

With the old "one move" policy, were you able to just put it as a placeholder, or would you need to choose an actual date? My husband wants to put off our May ABD, but we have no clue how long it would take to feel confident the replacement trip would be a go...

With the old "one move" policy, were you able to just put it as a placeholder, or would you need to choose an actual date? My husband wants to put off our May ABD, but we have no clue how long it would take to feel confident the replacement trip would be a go...
I think you have 2 years from when you first placed your reservation to hold your funds in placeholder status and book the trip by that date. I am sure @sayhello knows the details!

I think you have 2 years from when you first placed your reservation to hold your funds in placeholder status and book the trip by that date. I am sure @sayhello knows the details!
Actually, I don't know this one, because the only time I moved a deposit, I moved it directly to another ABD. I know you *can* move it to a placeholder, but I don't know for how long until you have to move it to an actual date.

Sayhello

Is May a new booking or an already moved booking from this year? When I moved a deposit, they told me it could only be moved once. That was last year; I don’t know current policy, if you can move it a second time. And like @sayhello I also moved direct to another trip.

When I moved my deposit last month to a placeholder, I was told I have two years from the booking date to book travel. Since I booked opening day, I effectively have until next May to figure out something.

When I moved my deposit last month to a placeholder, I was told I have two years from the booking date to book travel. Since I booked opening day, I effectively have until next May to figure out something.
Yes this was my understanding as well when I put a trip on placeholder.

Is May a new booking or an already moved booking from this year? When I moved a deposit, they told me it could only be moved once. That was last year; I don’t know current policy, if you can move it a second time. And like @sayhello I also moved direct to another trip.

May was an original booking we placed on opening day (Jan 27th of this year). If we can put it into a placeholder and I will have until Jan 2022 to book something that would be amazing. If we have to travel by January 2022 then I am way more nervous...!

You should be fine -- I was told I can book by May, which if I'm lucky could possibly get me all the way into 2022.

May was an original booking we placed on opening day (Jan 27th of this year). If we can put it into a placeholder and I will have until Jan 2022 to book something that would be amazing. If we have to travel by January 2022 then I am way more nervous...!
I believe it is book by!

I was just able to put a deposit for a river cruise ABD into a place holder. I just dont see myself ever wanting to do a cruise again, even a river cruise. Our place holder is good until the beginning of 2022.

I was just able to put a deposit for a river cruise ABD into a place holder. I just dont see myself ever wanting to do a cruise again, even a river cruise. Our place holder is good until the beginning of 2022.
I may be doing this. We are scheduled on the October 2021 river cruise. I just don't see wanting to be anywhere near a cruise ship unless there is an effective and widely used vaccine.

I may be doing this. We are scheduled on the October 2021 river cruise. I just don't see wanting to be anywhere near a cruise ship unless there is an effective and widely used vaccine.
we may have been booked on the same cruise! We had the Oktoberfest adults-only cruise booked in 2021. We will wait until there is a vaccine and then think about where to use our credit. It was put it in a placeholder or lose the $1100 we put down for the deposit.

If I put a deposit down on a river cruise for next Summer and then cruises aren't happening before the pay in full date. What are my options? Can I move the deposit or put it into a placeholder? I'm not afraid to cruise I'd cruise tomorrow if I could. I would only cancel if it didn't look like it was a go on their end.

Also what do you think of booking through Costco?

Also what do you think of booking through Costco?
There have been people who have posted here before who book through Costco. If I remember correctly, the number you call actually takes you directly through to ABD, so you're actually booking with ABD. But you get a Costco gift card for a percentage of your trip. I haven't heard anyone mention a downside to booking through Costco.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!