Can I pay cash on the Florida turnpike?

tikilyn

DIS Veteran
My family is renting a mini van in Texas and driving to Disney. We'll be coming down I-75 and getting on the Florida turnpike to I-4. I just wanted to double check that we can still pay cash at the toll booths while on the turnpike. I really don't want to purchase a transponder but if I have to I will. Also I went to the sunpass website and it's saying the total cost for the tolls will be 3.76 (one way of course). That sounds really low for tolls.

My family is renting a mini van in Texas and driving to Disney. We'll be coming down I-75 and getting on the Florida turnpike to I-4. I just wanted to double check that we can still pay cash at the toll booths while on the turnpike. I really don't want to purchase a transponder but if I have to I will. Also I went to the sunpass website and it's saying the total cost for the tolls will be 3.76 (one way of course). That sounds really low for tolls.
The Turnpike is cashless now and there are no booths to stop at. You’ll either need a transponder or will be billed by the rental agency.

You can avoid the toll roads to get to Disney. It does add about 20 min onto your route. However, sometimes the toll roads are almost bumper to bumper and I really wonder if they are worth it. If it’s a one time drive, I would just select “avoid tolls” in the directions. If you do the route frequently, I would buy a transponder- they sell them at the welcome stop. If you opt to get billed buy going through without paying, the chargers are A LOT higher.

Don’t know route you are traveling from TX to FL but the map here has a legend that informs you when the road is sun pass, license plate reader and/or cash :

https://floridasturnpike.com/tolls/electronic-toll-collection/

Also has a customer service telephone number. HTH
The FL Turnpike does not accept cash, it's SunPass (or other interoperable transponder) or Toll-By-Plate. The tolls roads on the page you linked to are color coded and the Turnpike is red which is cashless.

You can avoid the toll roads to get to Disney. It does add about 20 min onto your route. However, sometimes the toll roads are almost bumper to bumper and I really wonder if they are worth it. If it’s a one time drive, I would just select “avoid tolls” in the directions. If you do the route frequently, I would buy a transponder- they sell them at the welcome stop. If you opt to get billed buy going through without paying, the chargers are A LOT higher.
The last time we tried to avoid the tolls we got lost and wasted a ton of time, So embarrassing! We used to just pay cash for the tolls and I think the last time we went through the tolls we were in our personal car and let them bill us. Maybe it's time to buy a transponder and keep it. We do travel to Disney almost yearly, while taking a year off here and there.
Is the welcome stop the first gas station as you enter the turnpike with the Dunkin inside?

We've used the Florida's Turnpike several times over the past 5 years. We've found the traffic to be lighter than on the interstates. And it is maintained better, imo.

I would think the rental car company would have a transponder in the vehicle for you to use or just send you the bill at the end of your rental for any tolls. You can also sign up for a pre-paid toll by plate account with sunpass if you didnt want a transponder.

If you're taking the Turnpike to I-4, the toll sounds about right. There's only one, and I pay $3.18 with an E-PASS transponder.

I would think the rental car company would have a transponder in the vehicle for you to use or just send you the bill at the end of your rental for any tolls. You can also sign up for a pre-paid toll by plate account with sunpass if you didnt want a transponder.
Rental car companies either provide a transponder that you can shield so it is not active or use pay-by-plate. When the rental car company bills you for the tolls using either of these means, they usually add a convenience fee on top of the toll charges. The Enterprise group (Alamo, Enterprise, and National) charge $3.95 to $5.35 per day (depending on location) plus tolls, charged only on days where tolls are incurred. I think Budget charges $5.95 per day plus tolls. YMMV, depending on the company.

Rental car companies either provide a transponder that you can shield so it is not active or use pay-by-plate. When the rental car company bills you for the tolls using either of these means, they usually add a convenience fee on top of the toll charges. The Enterprise group (Alamo, Enterprise, and National) charge $3.95 to $5.35 per day (depending on location) plus tolls, charged only on days where tolls are incurred. I think Budget charges $5.95 per day plus tolls. YMMV, depending on the company.
This is what we are trying to avoid, the daily rate from the car rental place (hertz). I think we'll just purchase the transponder or the mini. I've got to talk it over with the husband and see which one he want's to purchase.

Thanks everyone for the info!

This is what we are trying to avoid, the daily rate from the car rental place (hertz). I think we'll just purchase the transponder or the mini. I've got to talk it over with the husband and see which one he want's to purchase.

Thanks everyone for the info!
You can actually buy a SunPass at the first Florida visitor center you come to after you enter Florida from Alabama, or you can buy it online and have them mail it to you. Here's a link to all the places that sell it - https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whereToPurchaseSunPass.shtml. And a link to the main SunPass website - https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml.

Several years ago we bought the SunPass Pro transponder that sticks to the windshield with suction cups. Very handy because we can use it in our car when we drive from Texas, or we can carry it on the plane and use in the rental car when we fly. Here's that link - https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml. BTW the SunPass app is very user friendly, and when you have a rental car you can enter the date and time you're going to turn the car in, and that car will drop off of your account automatically at that time!

You can actually buy a SunPass at the first Florida visitor center you come to after you enter Florida from Alabama, or you can buy it online and have them mail it to you. Here's a link to all the places that sell it - https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whereToPurchaseSunPass.shtml. And a link to the main SunPass website - https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml.

Several years ago we bought the SunPass Pro transponder that sticks to the windshield with suction cups. Very handy because we can use it in our car when we drive from Texas, or we can carry it on the plane and use in the rental car when we fly. Here's that link - https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/pro.shtml. BTW the SunPass app is very user friendly, and when you have a rental car you can enter the date and time you're going to turn the car in, and that car will drop off of your account automatically at that time!
We leave this Friday so it's a little late to order it online. I'm making a note to stop at the first visitor centers to grab one. That way I have time to set it up before we get on the turnpike. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter