Canada to announce new travel restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense. I would assume that eyeglasses would provide substantial protection.

I read that no eyeglass aren’t enough same as face shields as they don’t seal to the eye which is why they actually recommend goggle like glasses.
Def better than nothing tho

This will go on until we as a society don't allow it to anymore. No I don't be by stamping it out, thats impossible, I mean by electing new politicians as this will be an election issue and there will be an election within the year federally. The vaccines won't be our saviour, the variants point to that, it will mutate and get around them and we can't modify it fast enough to get out of this. Luckily most people who get covid won't die and it likely won't be more deadly as the virus doesn't transmit through dead people so that doesn't give it a competitive advantage

I suggest you educate yourself on other pandemics. It will end. And yes vaccines will help it end quicker. And I’m pretty sure no political party is gonna say hey go nuts pretend it doesn’t exist. The US has tried that. Didn’t work.

I read that no eyeglass aren’t enough same as face shields as they don’t seal to the eye which is why they actually recommend goggle like glasses. Def better than nothing tho
Precisely... eyeglasses are better than nothing, but of course full face shields are better than eyeglasses.

Precisely... eyeglasses are better than nothing, but of course full face shields are better than eyeglasses.

No neither sorry my statement needed a comma, ( multitasking with the kids )eyeglasses and face shields are apparently both ineffective and something that seals around the eyes like goggles are effective is what the article stated ..

I suggest you educate yourself on other pandemics. It will end. And yes vaccines will help it end quicker. And I’m pretty sure no political party is gonna say hey go nuts pretend it doesn’t exist. The US has tried that. Didn’t work.

I suggest you should take your own advice where education on the subject is concerned. While the Canadian media might want to try and convince you that the USA hasn't taken any action against this virus (and pretend it "didn't exist"), as someone who is LIVING here I can assure you that's not (nor ever has been) the case. Our state implemented Covid protocols far sooner, and much further reaching, than Ontario did. But of course, to admit that would not play into the Canadian way of bashing the US to make themselves feel better.

It amazes me that Canadians can still sit back and cast judgement on how America is handling the pandemic when Canada is not going to have their own sufficient vaccine production until 2022. 2022!!!! But that will somehow be acceptable and okay, because well, it's Canada and a whole lot of people there seem to hold everyone else to a high standard but are content with NO standard for themselves.

I am baffled by the double standard: the administration south of the border is wholly responsible for the state of the pandemic in the USA, but when it comes to holding the Canadian administration similarly accountable for their own hot mess, cue the laughable rationalization of "well, what do you expect the government to do?".

I read that no eyeglass aren’t enough same as face shields as they don’t seal to the eye which is why they actually recommend goggle like glasses.
Def better than nothing tho
I wear glasses and plan to get safety glasses like I used to wear in the lab. They wrap around the sides and can be worn with my glasses.

I suggest you should take your own advice where education on the subject is concerned. While the Canadian media might want to try and convince you that the USA hasn't taken any action against this virus (and pretend it "didn't exist"), as someone who is LIVING here I can assure you that's not (nor ever has been) the case. Our state implemented Covid protocols far sooner, and much further reaching, than Ontario did. But of course, to admit that would not play into the Canadian way of bashing the US to make themselves feel better.

It amazes me that Canadians can still sit back and cast judgement on how America is handling the pandemic when Canada is not going to have their own sufficient vaccine production until 2022. 2022!!!! But that will somehow be acceptable and okay, because well, it's Canada and a whole lot of people there seem to hold everyone else to a high standard but are content with NO standard for themselves.

I am baffled by the double standard: the administration south of the border is wholly responsible for the state of the pandemic in the USA, but when it comes to holding the Canadian administration similarly accountable for their own hot mess, cue the laughable rationalization of "well, what do you expect the government to do?".
Gina, my sister also lives in the US in a state that embarked on a full scale denial of Covid and its effects. Her husband is a neurosurgeon in a major large city hospital and they have been riddled with Covid and horrified by how political it is while the bodies drop. These are people on the front lines of health care. All of their friends and acquaintances are working in this hospital. Not every state has responded like yours and you can’t generalize how Canadians think or what we believe any more than what all Americans think and believe. I know I am fully capable of making my decisions and forming my opinions while being acutely aware of the biases of mainstream media, on both sides of the political spectrum, in both countries. I understand how frustrating generalizations can be and empathize, but I don’t think responding with more of them is the answer .

Last edited:
Vaccines are the way out.
In the U.K. it’s changing daily as we ramp up massive levels of vaccination, and all adults may now be done by May.
We are now expecting the economy to return to pre pandemic levels early next year and actually grow 5% potentially.
We will have a booster to deal with any troublesome variants also by autumn.
I saw above it stated Canada won’t be done until 2022? Is that correct? If so it will be disastrous for its economy and loss of life. If this is true, I couldn’t see their politicians lasting the year.
US is doing pretty well on vaccines.
Europe has also been a bit of a disaster. They even tried to close the Irish border and threatened to requisition the UKs vaccines from a factory in Belgium a week ago they were so desperate to save face, but had to back down due to the outcry.
We are making sure we make all our vaccines on shore from later this year to protect ourselves from such threats and rotten behaviours.

Gina, my sister also lives in the US in a state that embarked on a full scale denial of Covid and its effects. Her husband is a neurosurgeon in a major large city hospital and they have been riddled with Covid and horrified by how political it is while the bodies drop. These are people on the front lines of health care. All of their friends and acquaintances are working in this hospital. Not every state has responded like yours and you can’t generalize how Canadians think or what we believe any more than what all Americans think and believe. I know I am fully capable of making my decisions and forming my opinions while being acutely aware of the biases of mainstream media, on both sides of the political spectrum, in both countries. I understand how frustrating generalizations can be and empathize, but I don’t think responding with more of them is the answer .

I am sorry your sister's home state is not handling the pandemic effectively. It's definitely a challenging time to be in healthcare (and many, many other sectors where people have had to continue working in less than ideal circumstances).

But I stand by my reply. Canada, and Canadians, need to focus on their own pandemic shortcomings and get their crap together as far as the virus is concerned just as much as any other nation. If you're going to start pointing the finger of blame, you'd better be sure you're without fault yourself (you being "you" in a general sense, not you personally).

The poster I replied to should expect that an inflammatory comment may be rebutted by someone who doesn't agree. Especially on a discussion board.

Vaccines are not the way out, it has become clear. Vaccines will be great at first however with the wide spread nature of covid, and the limited scope of countries that will be vaccinating, it can only be seen as a 100% certainty that there will be a mutation of the virus that will not be affected by the vaccine and will become the predominant stain. Sooner or later we will come to the obvious conclusion that we will need to learn to live with this rather than hide from it. The scientists are doing a great job, but the virus will be able to mutate at a rate faster than bioethics will allow for science to keep up. Well, I guess if we accept a moderate level then vaccines are the way out, but if we decide we need to go to covid zero then we will not find that even with vaccines

Last edited:
In the U.K. it’s changing daily as we ramp up massive levels of vaccination, and all adults may now be done by May.
We are now expecting the economy to return to pre pandemic levels early next year and actually grow 5% potentially.
I saw above it stated Canada won’t be done until 2022? Is that correct? If so it will be disastrous for its economy and loss of life. If this is true, I couldn’t see their politicians lasting the year.
Europe has also been a bit of a disaster. They even tried to close the Irish border and threatened to requisition the UKs vaccines from a factory in Belgium a week ago they were so desperate to save face, but had to back down due to the outcry.
We are making sure we make all our vaccines on shore from later this year to protect ourselves from such threats and rotten behaviours.
Sounds like the U.K. is doing well. I’m quite frankly appalled at Canada’s vaccine rollout. You are right that it might be devastating for our economy. As other countries return to life, we may fall behind. Allowing our vaccine (and all drugs, really), to be produced off shore was a terrible decision made many years ago now. The government is looking to remedy this issue, but that takes time, which costs us dearly right now— in lives, mental health and time. We are still being told that all Canadians who want a vaccine will get one by September, but I’ll believe it when I see it. I have very little faith right now in that promise.

Part of the problem with our rollout of vaccines is that we don’t have production facilities here (that blame goes back several governments). And countries including the US, UK and parts of Europe are not allowing a lot of what is produced to leave their countries.

I’m not happy with the rollout here. But really what is our government to do if other governments make producers give it to them first? They can’t force companies to ship it to them.

Let's remember
From The Guidelines for posting on the Dis boards:

"Because of the large number of complaints of personal attacks related to these subjects and inability for many people to keep a civilized conversation when discussing these hot-button topics, politics and religion will no longer be appropriate topics on our forums. Political or religion based posts or threads will be removed, and repeated violations of this rule can result in an infraction."

Regards
Mel

I was hopeful about vaccine rollout but that is diminishing as more and more shipments are delayed or less than they were promised to be. I wish the government had been more proactive about Canada becoming able to produce our own supply, the news that may not happen for a year is a bit depressing. While I am glad it will come in time, and hopefully be able to keep up with variants eventually, it doesn't do us any good now. I am glad there are more restrictions on travel, and wish there were even more to be honest. Why people are allowed to return via land borders without quarantine is baffling. And by that I do mean the snow birds who are flying or otherwise transporting their cars across the border. And to all the people who flew south for vacations or whatever when travel for non-essential services was discouraged, and yet now complain about having to pay fees, well suck it up. A vacation is not essential. Now, I understand Canada relies on imports for a lot of items and transportation via trucks is most economical, I've worked in importing/exporting, I get that. I also know that there are people who live in Canada and work in the US in some border towns, I get that too. I have no solutions for that, I hope they are able to get vaccinated sooner than later.

I hope by summer we will be able to avoid lockdowns, and most of the restrictions, but I am aware that may not happen. I'm sure most of us want to be able to return to a more normal state. I do find a lot of the stories that make the news are of selfish people who don't seem to care what anyone thinks of what they are doing, in many countries. Hopefully they are actually a minority, though given transmission rates and how quickly things got bad again, I wonder. The whole things is exhausting, and discouraging. But I live in hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter