Canadian snowbirds, what are your plans?

MamaLema

DIS Veteran
I’m not a snowbird but hope to be one.

I saw a lady being interviewed on TV who rents a trailer and said she is going regardless because she doesn’t own winter clothes and she can’t live in the trailer during winter.

Just curious what others are doing?

I think I saw the same story on the news. If I had insurance I'd consider it...but the covid insurance that's available now is expensive and insufficient for the USA should you be so unfortunately to get the disease and get stuck there so...no.

My parents are snowbirds, they own a condo in Ft Lauderdale. Last time I talked to my dad, they are staying in Canada at least until January. They will re-analyzed the question over the Holidays but he's ready to stay the whole winter this year, even if his insurance policy becomes available again (would need to be covered for 5 millions and would have to include Covid-19). Instead, they are planning on visiting in May and driving down with friends with their motorcycle using roads such as the Blue Ridge Parkway instead of interstates.

My dad is a nurse by training and administered an emergency department for many years before retiring so he knows what can happen when a hospital gets overwhelmed with cases. As an retiree you might not need an ICU bed for Covid-19 but what if you have an accident, stroke or heart attack that do but the beds are all full with Covid patients?!? That is a big worry, here but even more in states that have decided to abandon their fight against Covid-19 such as Florida. And with elderly residents flocking back to FL, Texas and Arizona from the northern states in the coming weeks, who knows what the stats will look like?!?! That is if we get access to the real stats...

Apparently on Facebook groups of snowbirds there are all kind of schemes to go back south for the winter such as flying there and sending their car by van. Even my neighbour is considering that! The only thing I would like to tell them is don't come crying if the government doesn't help you if you cannot get proper healthcare while in FL and you want to come back to Canada.

Apparently on Facebook groups of snowbirds there are all kind of schemes to go back south for the winter such as flying there and sending their car by van. Even my neighbour is considering that! The only thing I would like to tell them is don't come crying if the government doesn't help you if you cannot get proper healthcare while in FL and you want to come back to Canada.

Which you know that they will. No sympathy from me whatsoever.

Buying a winter coat and boots - then staying home.

Exactly, that whole story makes no sense whatsoever. Talk about making excuses. Gee, I don't have warm clothes so I must go down south. If only there were a simple solution for that...

I saw a story on our local news last night that a lot of CDN snowbirds will be coming west here to Vancouver and Victoria for the winter for the 'mild' climate. Well, we DO get snow sometimes too ya know....and a ton of rain. I don't know about you,but given the option of being in a cozy house in the snow, with heat and a fireplace vs an rv in the rain and 3C, I think I'd choose the house. Camping in November in BC is NOT my idea of fun.

I saw a story on our local news last night that a lot of CDN snowbirds will be coming west here to Vancouver and Victoria for the winter for the 'mild' climate. Well, we DO get snow sometimes too ya know....and a ton of rain. I don't know about you,but given the option of being in a cozy house in the snow, with heat and a fireplace vs an rv in the rain and 3C, I think I'd choose the house. Camping in November in BC is NOT my idea of fun.

Agreed (I'm in Victoria).

Agreed (I'm in Victoria).
I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about BC (the south coast) and the mild winters. Today it's raining, 15C where I am but 'feels like 17C' so yes, VERY mild. But if we ff a couple of months. Say it's December 15th and raining. More than likely it's now about 4C and 'feels like 1C". Most definitely NOT mild :rotfl2: If I'm going to be cold I'd rather it be snowy and sunny so we can bundle up, not pouring and WET, struggling to get our car keys out of our purse while making sure the brolly doesn't blow away, meanwhile my fingers are so cold I can't get the darn keys out :rotfl2::rotfl2: Did I mention I've been camping in the rain in mid November (in an rv?) It was NOT fun.

If an ICU stays is needed, the medical bill is easily over $1 million in the USA. You either have 1. very deep pocket, 2, generous insurance plan, 3. very good luck of not getting sick, 4. never step back into USA from running away from bad hospital debt.

I think those snowbirds that still want to go are planning to aim for one of the above.

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about BC (the south coast) and the mild winters. Today it's raining, 15C where I am but 'feels like 17C' so yes, VERY mild. But if we ff a couple of months. Say it's December 15th and raining. More than likely it's now about 4C and 'feels like 1C". Most definitely NOT mild :rotfl2: If I'm going to be cold I'd rather it be snowy and sunny so we can bundle up, not pouring and WET, struggling to get our car keys out of our purse while making sure the brolly doesn't blow away, meanwhile my fingers are so cold I can't get the darn keys out :rotfl2::rotfl2: Did I mention I've been camping in the rain in mid November (in an rv?) It was NOT fun.
I was in Vancouver one New Year's... +4C, rain, felt like +1C. Well, no. I was chilled to the bone in my long underwear. I was happy to land back on the prairie, even though it was -20C. At least it was a dry cold, lol.

I saw a story on our local news last night that a lot of CDN snowbirds will be coming west here to Vancouver and Victoria for the winter for the 'mild' climate. Well, we DO get snow sometimes too ya know....and a ton of rain. I don't know about you, but given the option of being in a cozy house in the snow, with heat and a fireplace vs an rv in the rain and 3C, I think I'd choose the house. Camping in November in BC is NOT my idea of fun.

And spaces like RV parks that allow long-term stays are completely full already. The footage I saw on the news showed them crammed in together, so I hope they are masked up when they leave their trailers and RVs.

I'm in Victoria too, but have lived up north and in Alberta. It's true - the wet cold is different... and can chill you to the bone.

NS can get like that too! Right into around January is a damp cold. Then it hits again April through early June. Feb and March are our true cold months.
Let’s not forget about the numerous types of boots and jackets you need to get through a coastal season!

The stories here in the Ontario press are mostly focussing on people who live in RVs fulltime that are not winterized and therefore spend the warm months here in Ontario in facilities [campgrounds, at realtives homes, etc] in non-winterized spots [some may have a permanent structure up here but it is still not winterized]. For the cold months they would normally go south. So this year they are headed west, hoping the mild winter will be ok with a non-winterized RV.

It is actually a problem in some Ontario communities that have large snowbird communities because there are large numbers deciding to stay this winter but not necessarily enough housing for them, so people are having challenges trying to figure out where they are going to live once their non-winterized accommodations close out for the season [most close 31 October though some are extending another couple weeks if the weather will allow].

This article speaks to some of the issues: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/snowbirds-scramble-to-make-winter-plans

SW

We have a house in South Carolina which we generally visit every couple of months and spend at least a month there in the winter. We haven't been there since March and have no plans to go this winter.

I guess we’re considered mild compared to the -30 some provinces get! I’m looking at you Winterpeg!

My parents are snowbirds, they own a condo in Ft Lauderdale. Last time I talked to my dad, they are staying in Canada at least until January. They will re-analyzed the question over the Holidays but he's ready to stay the whole winter this year, even if his insurance policy becomes available again (would need to be covered for 5 millions and would have to include Covid-19). Instead, they are planning on visiting in May and driving down with friends with their motorcycle using roads such as the Blue Ridge Parkway instead of interstates.

My dad is a nurse by training and administered an emergency department for many years before retiring so he knows what can happen when a hospital gets overwhelmed with cases. As an retiree you might not need an ICU bed for Covid-19 but what if you have an accident, stroke or heart attack that do but the beds are all full with Covid patients?!? That is a big worry, here but even more in states that have decided to abandon their fight against Covid-19 such as Florida. And with elderly residents flocking back to FL, Texas and Arizona from the northern states in the coming weeks, who knows what the stats will look like?!?! That is if we get access to the real stats...

I’ve been looking at travel insurance, and Medi Pac covers Covid, 2 mil coverage, but for an extra $50 can upgrade to plus and have 5 Million coverage. And this company is endorsed by the Canadian Snowbird Assoc.

I’ve been looking at travel insurance, and Medi Pac covers Covid, 2 mil coverage, but for an extra $50 can upgrade to plus and have 5 Million coverage. And this company is endorsed by the Canadian Snowbird Assoc.
I really appreciate hearing about this company. Not a snowbird, but I’ll be looking at them for future trips. We have travel insurance with our credit card, but I’m looking to top up.

I really appreciate hearing about this company. Not a snowbird, but I’ll be looking at them for future trips. We have travel insurance with our credit card, but I’m looking to top up.
For some reason I never trusted CC insurance. Always bought Blue Cross. So many insur companies aren’t 1st payer and will try to recoup costs from your extended benefits.
FYI the Medi PAC insurance I mentioned is 1st payer. I’m not a snow bird either but they are for anyone.

I'm not exactly a snowbird, but I made the decision to head down next month for a week. Haven't been to our condo since last October. I normally fly out of Buffalo, or drive, but it looks like those options are off the table until at least next year. I booked a flight out of Toronto and added a general insurance package for $37, although it's not specific to Coronavirus. If I were down for a longer stay, I'd be more inclined to ensure I had complete coverage.
It's been too long away, and I don't see the main stream media easing up on the fear-mongering any time soon. Should be an interesting trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter