Canadians...Disneyland?

ebharris

Mouseketeer
Hi there!

I've found this board so helpful while planning our trip to California and Disneyland, however most of the people on the Canadian board seem to be visiting WDW.

Is there anybody on here who has DLR and DCA experience and has some general recommendations for me? I'm looking for advice on dining, as well as anything sort of out of the norm that you think is worth mentioning for us to not miss!

I've posted on the DL board for advice as well, but I'm partial to this one :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,
Erin

We do both about once a year and are headed back to DL in September (from Calgary) I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Thanks, Disney_Alli, can you tell me if you have any favourite spots for both table service and quick service? Also, have you tried any local restaurants outside the park that you'd recommend?

Also, when it comes to DCA, do you feel like 2 full days is too much to spend there? We didn't get park hoppers (5 days) because we thought we'd do 3 at DLR and 2 at DCA but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if DCA has enough to offer for 2 days. We've been to Disneyland before, but honestly my kids were very little and we spent most of our time playing in the water in a bugs land!

Thanks for the help!

Dining advice really depends on what you like and whether you want sit down on counter service, plus when you're planning on going.

Don't miss the dark rides in Fantasyland! I Love Love Love the Storybookland Canal boats and we only travel to DL as adults. DO NOT miss the fireworks and Fantasmic is totally different from the WDW show (and has changed since I've seen it) and is an awesome show.

Thanks, Disney_Alli, can you tell me if you have any favourite spots for both table service and quick service? Also, have you tried any local restaurants outside the park that you'd recommend?

Also, when it comes to DCA, do you feel like 2 full days is too much to spend there? We didn't get park hoppers (5 days) because we thought we'd do 3 at DLR and 2 at DCA but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if DCA has enough to offer for 2 days. We've been to Disneyland before, but honestly my kids were very little and we spent most of our time playing in the water in a bugs land!

Thanks for the help!

For table service we love Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans in DL and quite enjoyed Wine Country Trattoria in DCA.
For counter service we like Rancho del Zocalo, Bengal BBQ (more of a snack than a meal), Harbour Galley and French Market in DL. In DCA we love Paradise Garden Grill and the Corn Dog Castle (plus we love the Lounges which are)
We have not tried local restaurants so no recommendations there.

I love DCA and think you'll be fine with two days there especially with time to repeat rides and camp out for the parade (and World of Color if it's playing when you're there)

I hope this helps a bit more.

For table service we love Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans in DL and quite enjoyed Wine Country Trattoria in DCA.
For counter service we like Rancho del Zocalo, Bengal BBQ (more of a snack than a meal), Harbour Galley and French Market in DL. In DCA we love Paradise Garden Grill and the Corn Dog Castle (plus we love the Lounges which are)
We have not tried local restaurants so no recommendations there.

I love DCA and think you'll be fine with two days there especially with time to repeat rides and camp out for the parade (and World of Color if it's playing when you're there)

I hope this helps a bit more.

It does, thank you so much. Adding all of those to my list. My kids are not 'fast food' kids, I think those will all fit into what they like well. I'll check out the menus.

Perfect re: DCA.

Thanks for the recommendation re: Fantasyland, I don't think that's something we did last time (dark rides). This will be a completely different trip, last time our kids were so young that we didn't do Fantasmic, or fireworks. I think the plan this time is to get to the parks really early, stay until 2:00ish, go back to the hotel and swim and relax, then go somewhere for dinner (either in the park or outside) and then do the rides until closing. We'll see if that plan sticks, but I think it will...although getting up early will be a test for all of us after a day or 2 I'm sure.

Thanks again!
Erin

Getting up early is definitely challenging but SOOOOO worth it. I'm a nightshifter who gets up at 3pm 90% of the time but I get up by 6am almost every day of my Disney vacations... I do have to let my husband nap though as he seems to think that park closings at midnight and 6am wake ups are too close together :confused3

Hi there!

I've found this board so helpful while planning our trip to California and Disneyland, however most of the people on the Canadian board seem to be visiting WDW.

Is there anybody on here who has DLR and DCA experience and has some general recommendations for me? I'm looking for advice on dining, as well as anything sort of out of the norm that you think is worth mentioning for us to not miss!

Erin

We have done 2 trips/year more of less since 2011 so please ask away!

We typically go for 5 days and always get either park hoppers or have had annual passes so we could hop whenever we wanted...and we always hopped, usually hit both parks each day. Without hoppers we could absolutely do 2 days at DCA.

I just finished my second AP - made 11 trips in 30 months.

My favourite TS is FOR SURE without question Carthay Circle. If you want to try it, the World of Color lunch package is exceptional value. I believe the cost of the package is (depending on entree choice) is like getting the dessert and drink for free. Plus the view of WoC is fantastic. That said, I have at least 5 times not even used my ticket and just had lunch. It’s SO good.

Also, I really like Hungry Bear’s Fantasmic package. I had thought the first show is best - but actually the second show is pretty great - you can “get in line” without any competition while watching the fireworks projections on the water. And the riblet meal was pretty good - you can also just order off the regular menu (but you pay package price, unfortunately).

As a stereotypical Canadian, I appreciate the poutine at Red Rose Tavern, it’s pretty tasty.

Outside the parks, I love Pizza Press at the Anaheim Hotel across the street and if you have a car, I can’t recommend the Anaheim Packing District highly enough. It’s everything that the Granville Island Market in Vancouver is sorely lacking in its food options.

My best advice touring wise is to stay walking distance and preferably north of Katella on Harbor. Get to the park early for rope drop and then definitely take a nap/swim and head back around dinner. Do fireworks/Fantasmic/WoC and then you’re likely to have the park to yourself, especially on week days. Locals head home by 10 or 11 and many rides are walk ons after 10.

Too many times I stayed driving distance. And it is just not worth the cost savings. It was difficult to get there for rope drop - 50% of the time you’d get redirected to a different parking lot easily adding 30-60 minutes to the ordeal.

Also, if you can find it in your budget, Park hopping is SO EASY. And MaxPass is not only valuable to get on more rides, but I love looking at the pics between trips. I’m not really a photopass gal - but it was included with my AP and really ended up being an additional value.

Finally, on a hot or crowded day, don’t forget about Frozen, Mickey & the Magical Map or the Golden Horseshoe. Great ways to escape heat and people ;)

We always gets parkhoppers and frequently change during the day. With one park just across from the other, it is so convenient.

We went last February and had a great time. If you've been to Universal, park hopping is like that, or even easier, the parks are so close together. We did 3 days, sort of one day in each park and one day to go back to things we liked or missed. One ride we really enjoyed and did many times was the Radiator Springs Racers, it looks different day and night! The theming in Cars land was amazing...

We went last February and had a great time. If you've been to Universal, park hopping is like that, or even easier, the parks are so close together. We did 3 days, sort of one day in each park and one day to go back to things we liked or missed. One ride we really enjoyed and did many times was the Radiator Springs Racers, it looks different day and night! The theming in Cars land was amazing...

Thank you, it wasn't there yet when we last went so definitely looking forward to Cars land. I've heard they do a lighting of Cars land just before sunset, so I'm going to try to remind myself to set an alarm on my phone so we don't miss it.

We always gets parkhoppers and frequently change during the day. With one park just across from the other, it is so convenient.

Yeah. I'm thinking we should consider upgrading to park hoppers. Not getting them was maybe a mistake, although with 5 days I think we'll have enough in each park.

We are visiting DLR for the first time next week (April 25-27)!!!! We have 3-day PH tickets from Airmiles and I’m looking forward to experience F! and Pixar Fest. Unfortunately, WOC won’t run during our stay.

Hello. What kind of advice / questions do you have? When are you going? (May make a difference on park hours and shows)

We're form Toronto and had been to WDW once and last August we went to Disneyland. I have a trip report in my signature if you're interested.
We started with a few days in Hollywood for a few days (Universal, Warner Brothers, a general tour)...and then transferred to Anaheim. Stayed across the street at Desert Inn and Suites...which fit our needs.

We did 4 days at Disneyland...with park hoppers and got Max Pass on days 2-4. Really loved MaxPass and recommend it if its in your budget. And each day, we would start at one park, but always switch over to the other park (and even book a FastPass in the other park before heading over via MaxPass). Btw...i have heard that the wifi isn't great, but we got one of those special plans for the US. Wasn't costly and then we had data while in the parks for MaxPass.

I will say that I love love love Disneyland...love the closeness of the two parks. Not sure what kind of rides you are into, but my favorites were Radiator Springs (and the whole Carsland is great) and Indiana Jones, and Big Thunder. And Pirates of the Caribbean is great at DL...longer than at WDW and I think an extra drop. The restaurant Blue Bayou that people mention is actually inside the ride, which is neat. Unfortunately Haunted Mansion which is my favorite at WDW was closed when we went due to Halloween overlay.

For restaurants, Cafe Orleans is yummy. Don't miss World of Colour. Amazing night time show. It's pricey but if you can afford it, the WOC Dessert Party is great...you get a seat for the show and good desserts.

Enjoy! You'll love Disneyland!

Last edited:
Hi there!

Erin

How exciting!! When are you going? We are heading back in August for my birthday, any specific questions ask away. Fantasmic is much different than the version at DW so that is a must, the last couple of trips we have done a dining package and I liked that better than having to line up so early to get a good spot. With Blue Bayou you can sit and watch it, on the ground but the view was great and you got a little foam cushion to sit on, We are trying to figure out if we are going to do Hungry Bear for a fast pass or go back to one of the table service packages.

World of color is great as well, depending on when you are going it may or may not be on. With the opening of Pixar Pier this summer things are going to be a little bit different. We have splurged and done the dessert package for World of color, which was nice but a little pricey. My feet sure were happy about sitting for the show though ;)

If you didn’t buy with the Canadian ticket offer I’d upgrade to hoppers. It’s not like WDW, it’s very easy to jump from park to park. If you have Canadian Tickets I wouldn’t upgrade cause you’ll end up having to loose discount and pay full price.
Max Pass is so worth it, while it’s $10/day. And as mentioned it includes photopass.

Not sure when you’re going. If World of Colour is running, the dessert party was great. Our first time at DL was last September, we had 5 day hoppers. Stayed across the street at Anaheim Hotel, and as someone mentioned, Pizza Press is very good!
Off site we also had a meal at Fire & Ice in the Garden Walk Mall also walking distance from our hotel.
Loved the Corn Dogs lol! We had a lunch at Blue Bayou, love the atmosphere. Ate at Mexican restaurant in DTD, Plaza Inn, Carthay Circle, and a couple of lunches at The Grand Californian QS.

Going again at end of the month, have reservations at Blue Bayou Fantasmic pkg, and Trattoria for Paknt The Night parade. Also adr in Grand Cali restaurant. Other than that we are eating QS, and planning on a meal at Pizza Press and Fire & Ice.
There is a Cheesecake Factory in the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We are going in July, and did book the Canadian discounted tickets so I guess we won't upgrade to park hoppers. That was my mistake, I had it in my head that because we were there for a week we could do the 5 days split between the 2 parks and not have to change.

@Sue M - I'm curious to hear what you think of Trattoria for PTN, looking forward to hearing your thoughts! We are going to book Blue Bayou, but I think just for dinner or lunch and not for Fantasmic. @tlcdoula mentioned Hungry Bear for the Fantastmic package and I think that may make sense for us just because the BB prices are high when you look at my kids - no longer kids pricing...but I'm told they'll likely be allowed to order from the kids menu at BB if not a dining package. I'm going to check out Fire and Ice as well as Pizza Press for ideas out of the park.

Same for the dessert package for WOC. I can't justify the cost for 4 of us for WOC, so we'll try to get a fast pass one day when we are there. I've learned my lesson in the past, my kids love the shows but they don't need front and centre. You know?

@Frozen2014 thank you for sending me in the direction of your trip report. I'm going to read it as soon as I have time! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Universal, we did buy passes to go on one of our LA days. We have the Loews Hollywood booked for our time in LA. Going July 19-31.

Thanks again!

We are going in July, and did book the Canadian discounted tickets so I guess we won't upgrade to park hoppers. That was my mistake, I had it in my head that because we were there for a week we could do the 5 days split between the 2 parks and not have to change.

@Sue M - I'm curious to hear what you think of Trattoria for PTN, looking forward to hearing your thoughts! We are going to book Blue Bayou, but I think just for dinner or lunch and not for Fantasmic. @tlcdoula mentioned Hungry Bear for the Fantastmic package and I think that may make sense for us just because the BB prices are high when you look at my kids - no longer kids pricing...but I'm told they'll likely be allowed to order from the kids menu at BB if not a dining package. I'm going to check out Fire and Ice as well as Pizza Press for ideas out of the park.

Same for the dessert package for WOC. I can't justify the cost for 4 of us for WOC, so we'll try to get a fast pass one day when we are there. I've learned my lesson in the past, my kids love the shows but they don't need front and centre. You know?

@Frozen2014 thank you for sending me in the direction of your trip report. I'm going to read it as soon as I have time! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Universal, we did buy passes to go on one of our LA days. We have the Loews Hollywood booked for our time in LA. Going July 19-31.

Thanks again!

We have done dining packages at both WCT (x2) and CCR (x2) back when the dining package was for WOC and not PTN. Between the two, we liked the food at CCR better although WCT was good enough that we have eaten there 3 or 4 times in total. Given the difference in price between CCR ($99/adult) and WCT ($38/adult lunch, $49/adult dinner) I might lean towards WCT. If the costs were closer, then I would go for the better food at CCR.

BB is a bit hit or miss food-wise but you cannot beat the ambience if you have never been.

The last time we saw WOC we went for the dessert package and we were absolutely not disappointed! Not only was the view great and the dessert/cheese/drinks very welcome but having a table and chairs to sit at was well worth the $79/person! We just had a light meal at Alfresco Tasting Terrace around 4ish and that was enough to hold us until the bread/cheese/dessert at WOC.

Thanks again!

We have done Fire and Ice a couple of times it was great, will be fun for the kids to pick what they want and bring it up to be cooked on the grill. They have good drinks too :P I have read with Hungary bear that you are able to order off the regular menu as well as the special one for the fantasmic package so that gives more choices for food which I like too. One other place that I want to try this trip is the Red Rose Tavern, I don't know why I didn't make it last trip but I seen some videos on the breaky there and it looked pretty good. Red Rose apparently also has the pomme frites that Cafe Orleans has yummmyyy. Plaza Inn I have done for breaky but not for lunch, and this trip hubby wants to try the fried chicken there. I heard the portions are quite bit and shareable so that might be nice.

Its funny because I have just booked a trip to Disney world for the first week in December so I am planning both trips at once, but there really isn't much to plan for Disneyland, even though I still do basic ride orders for disneyland It isn't the same type of planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!