Candlelight Processional 2017?

I can totally relate. we only visit once a year and we haven't got the luxury of going to the park and discovering it's crowded so deciding to return another time. That's why I find it so frustrating when people who are regular visitors say the parks are always crowded. Yes, everyone knows that. But there are times when it's less crowded than other times.

I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat as you. We're trying to pick a less crowded time. I've seen some posts saying that AP blackouts are the best time, but that's when Disney anticipates the parks will be full. So what do you believe?
Joining TheLuckyRabbit - We have found if Disney blocks out all passes including Deluxe, it will be a little lighter than other days, because they are anticipating higher crowds. For example, most Saturdays are blocked in the summer for Deluxe APs. What we have seen is Saturdays are lighter crowds than Sundays. It used to be October and May were great months to go, but everyone found out, and now they are very busy too. For the past couple years, it seems there is no longer an "off peak" time. The standard "less crowded time" is no longer "less crowded."

What time of year or days do you now consider "less crowded"?

Thoughts on when it will be this year? First weekend of December is traditional but looking for thoughts since that's so early in the month.

I'd also like to hear feedback on touring the parks that weekend. We were there for CP weekend a few years ago and it was pretty busy.

Did you feel like earlier in the day was still ok crowd wise or did it just make the whole weekend crazy?

We went last year during the CP weekend. We arrived on Thursday and left that Sunday. We are going again that same weekend this year. I had tried for the following weekend this time, I won a trip for our family and had requested the following weekend. Rooms weren't available for our stay, but Nov 30 - Dec 3rd rooms were available. We found for us, as long as we went EMH and it worked great for us. We didn't attend the CP, but yes around that area it was busy. On that Sunday we started out at DCA /EMH, hopped to DL at 11am, then I made a quick hop back to DCA at 12pm to do Animation Acadamey Drawing with 1 GDD, hopped back to DL to join the rest of the family and we had to wait 1/2 hour inline as park capacity was full. So, just take that into consideration as to admittance to DL might have a delay in entering as to capacity. That first Saturday when the gates were opened at DL, people sprinted to save seats for the CP. We had a great time ! Looking forward to being there again. Love DL / DCA at Christmas time ! Busy yes, but do-able and take advantage of being there early and plan accordingly.

hopped back to DL to join the rest of the family and we had to wait 1/2 hour inline as park capacity was full.
Just to clarify, the park was not at capacity. The issue was the limited space on Main St after the parade. They held up reentry into the park til Main St had cleared of the parade.

Just to clarify, the park was not at capacity. The issue was the limited space on Main St after the parade. They held up reentry into the park til Main St had cleared of the parade.
Good to know, thank you.

Question, would you be able to see or hear any of the Candle light Procession if you were having dinner at the Carnation Cafe? Would it even be wise to try to eat there on one of the nights this event is held?

Question, would you be able to see or hear any of the Candle light Procession if you were having dinner at the Carnation Cafe? Would it even be wise to try to eat there on one of the nights this event is held?
The procession starts near Plaza Inn. You would be able to at least hear them during the procession down Main St. if you were seated outside.

I just wanted to chime in since I went last year the weekend of Candlelight. Before we went, I was very anxious about the crowds but it wasn't terrible! During the day is definitely less crowded than evenings in both parks. On Friday, things seemed fairly mellow in DCA and a regular Friday crowd level in DL. During the evening things got more packed in DCA but definitely manageable. Saturday morning was the least crowded and was really enjoyable! Get there at opening or a bit before. We spent it in DL and rode the car down mainstreet, 5 minute wait for PhotoPass in front of the castle with barely anyone gathered in front, then we rode Space Mountain, Star Tours, and Haunted Mansion Holiday! I'm almost certain that was within the first 2 hours of our day. Saturday evening we stayed in DL at the back of the park during Candlelight, and then we made the mistake of trying to view the fireworks from Mainstreet... now that was a headache. However, after the fireworks things really thinned out A LOT. We were there Sunday open-4:30pm and I feel like that was actually the busiest day we were there.

I think the thing that really made it seem less unbearably packed was my need to overplan everything... haha! It definitely helped to have a general idea of our schedule (meals/snacks planned, general idea of what areas of which park when) and what FastPasses we were aiming for.

Hello. I have been told there are really only 2 ways to watch the candlelight processional:

1. Get invited (good luck)
2. Rope drop and sit in the right spot on Main Street ALL DAY LONG.

True?

No. There are several areas roped off for general viewing. Ask CMs where to go. There is viewing on both sides of Town Square. The view may not be great, but you do not have to wait all day either.

Two years ago we had dinner at the Carnation Cafe during the first show and watched the second. The CMs stressed to everyone that they wouldn't allow people to request to sit outside. Obviously, everyone would have. We were seated inside and could hear singing, but not really enough to tell what they were singing for the most part. Since our plan was to rush out to Main Street when Hallelujah started and get in line we kept an ear out. We were able to do just that and got in line close to the Emporium. We stood behind a row of chairs and had a decent view. Not bad, considering it was our first time not getting seats. Unfortunately I like Candlelight more than my friend and she said she was absolutely not spending another Saturday waiting in line for seats.

Two years ago we had dinner at the Carnation Cafe during the first show and watched the second. The CMs stressed to everyone that they wouldn't allow people to request to sit outside. Obviously, everyone would have. We were seated inside and could hear singing, but not really enough to tell what they were singing for the most part. Since our plan was to rush out to Main Street when Hallelujah started and get in line we kept an ear out. We were able to do just that and got in line close to the Emporium. We stood behind a row of chairs and had a decent view. Not bad, considering it was our first time not getting seats. Unfortunately I like Candlelight more than my friend and she said she was absolutely not spending another Saturday waiting in line for seats.
You said your friend did not like to wait. How long did you wait, using this strategy? Seems like if the first show is at 5:30 and lasts 50 minutes, it would have been over at about 6:20 and you would have had to wait in line about an hour and 25 minutes. Does that sound about right?

What strategy has everyone used to be able to view the processional in the past?

No. There are several areas roped off for general viewing. Ask CMs where to go. There is viewing on both sides of Town Square. The view may not be great, but you do not have to wait all day either.
Thank you. Can you describe a bit more about what the "not great" view is like? I am trying to decide if this is worth our effort.

If the show starts at 5:30, what time do the singers come walking down Main Street?

Last edited by a moderator:
You said your friend did not like to wait. How long did you wait, using this strategy? Seems like if the first show is at 5:30 and lasts 50 minutes, it would have been over at about 6:20 and you would have had to wait in line about an hour and 25 minutes. Does that sound about right?

Yes, that is right for what we did to see the 2nd show without seats. In prior years we waited 6+ hours for the leftover seats. That's what she wasn't fond of.

When do they usually announce who the celebrity will be doing the reading?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!