can't find turtle place by paradise cove (edited: now with directions and photos!)

Just back from Aulani and really appreciated your directions to the turtles! My kids were in awe swimming with the turtles. Thanks for taking time to post directions and photos!

We were there in June 2016, last month. Some of our family checked it out one day for half an hour and did not stay around long enough to see them. The locals said to just wait, they'll come around within the hour or so. One woman told me the same 2 turtles have been there for 15 years. Someone else on this thread mentioned 4 turtles. Curious, what number is the most anyone here saw there recently?

As all have mentioned, it's indeed close to the intersection... Short walk thereafter.

Thanks for the directions on here! We found it yesterday morning. We hung around for little over an hour and one turtle ventured in. My 5yo was in love. (Won't lie, so was I!) A local was telling me that when there's more people around they see less turtles. The cove had a good 100 people there when we went by yesterday, so I'm just thankful that one even ventured in. Absolutely beautiful cove though.

A lady was telling me earlier that she was out in the Aulani cove at 4:45am this morning and there were several turtles out then! She said they took off as the morning lap swimmers entered. They were definitely long gone by the time I got out there at 6am.

Thanks for the directions on here! We found it yesterday morning. We hung around for little over an hour and one turtle ventured in. My 5yo was in love. (Won't lie, so was I!) A local was telling me that when there's more people around they see less turtles. The cove had a good 100 people there when we went by yesterday, so I'm just thankful that one even ventured in. Absolutely beautiful cove though.

A lady was telling me earlier that she was out in the Aulani cove at 4:45am this morning and there were several turtles out then! She said they took off as the morning lap swimmers entered. They were definitely long gone by the time I got out there at 6am.

i had wondered whether the turtles ever go to the aulani cove, since it's so close by. thanks for letting us know that they do (though only when there aren't loads of people). :)

This thread was great - my DH went twice; and the kids and I got to see one swimming. In fact I was standing there, and it came up to me, and touched me with my flipper! I told DH the turtle "kissed" me :goodvibes

This thread was great - my DH went twice; and the kids and I got to see one swimming. In fact I was standing there, and it came up to me, and touched me with my flipper! I told DH the turtle "kissed" me :goodvibes
I kept getting hugs. This one turtle kept coming back to me and wrapping its flipper around my leg. Soooo cute! We had 3 turtles with us one of the days.

Thanks for the information. We're currently at Aulani now. Would love to try to see the turtles. Can anyone please tell me when will be the best time to go there? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the information. We're currently at Aulani now. Would love to try to see the turtles. Can anyone please tell me when will be the best time to go there? Thanks in advance!

i'm the one who posted the original directions. so envious you're at aulani!

not sure if there is a "best" time to go, but i checked in my TR and it looks like we were there in the early afternoon. if i were you i would plan two separate days, so that you have a back-up in case you don't see them on day 1. it's really easy to get to, so won't take a whole lot of time out of your day.

good luck and let us know if you see 'em! :)

Well I was going to put this in my report but since I have yet to even start it I think this thread might be a good place to mention this. We went on a Sunday, around 11am. I was picturing a peaceful little cove with a few people on it. Not the case on Sundays and Wednesday from 10-4 when a Japanese tour group invades. It was insanely crowded with many, many people in large tour branded floaties shaped like giant neon green turtles all splashing around the lagoon, umbrellas on the beach, games up on the grass, there was a loud speaker set up and the leader was shouting in Japanese, it was chaos. There happened to be a monk seal up on the shore, thankfully roped off and being guarded by a volunteer so we did have the unexpected pleasure of seeing it sunning itself but man, the "secret cove" isnt exactly a secret any more. The volunteer told me that this tour group is now a regular thing and of course there were no turtles in the lagoon so certainly do no go on Sundays and Wednesdays!

Well I was going to put this in my report but since I have yet to even start it I think this thread might be a good place to mention this. We went on a Sunday, around 11am. I was picturing a peaceful little cove with a few people on it. Not the case on Sundays and Wednesday from 10-4 when a Japanese tour group invades. It was insanely crowded with many, many people in large tour branded floaties shaped like giant neon green turtles all splashing around the lagoon, umbrellas on the beach, games up on the grass, there was a loud speaker set up and the leader was shouting in Japanese, it was chaos. There happened to be a monk seal up on the shore, thankfully roped off and being guarded by a volunteer so we did have the unexpected pleasure of seeing it sunning itself but man, the "secret cove" isnt exactly a secret any more. The volunteer told me that this tour group is now a regular thing and of course there were no turtles in the lagoon so certainly do no go on Sundays and Wednesdays!

oh what a bummer... now i wonder if i should delete this thread entirely... :( :( :(

oh what a bummer... now i wonder if i should delete this thread entirely... :( :( :(

No way! I for one was sooo glad you started it because I was able to show my hubby and kids the pictures and then we all knew what to look out for. The way this tour was so well organized and attended it sure looked like it had been happening for quite a while

My parents are headed to Aulani soon, id love for them to check this out., seems early morning would be best bet?

i'm the one who posted the original directions. so envious you're at aulani!

not sure if there is a "best" time to go, but i checked in my TR and it looks like we were there in the early afternoon. if i were you i would plan two separate days, so that you have a back-up in case you don't see them on day 1. it's really easy to get to, so won't take a whole lot of time out of your day.

good luck and let us know if you see 'em! :)
We went this morning, Wednesday, around 9 am and stayed for like little over 2 hours. So thankful for your direction. It made it so easy to find. One turtle came in shortly after we arrived. He was so playful and friendly. It seems like he tried to say aloha to everyone who's there in the water. People were standing different spots and he just kept going around to each groups of people. Really cute. My sons enjoyed to watch him swimming around us. I didn't see any tourist groups there like the other post mentioned. I was afraid there would be too many people there but I counted probably like maybe 20's top there. This is a really cool place to visit. So happy we did it and really appreciate your information. Thank you!

We went this morning, Wednesday, around 9 am and stayed for like little over 2 hours. So thankful for your direction. It made it so easy to find. One turtle came in shortly after we arrived. He was so playful and friendly. It seems like he tried to say aloha to everyone who's there in the water. People were standing different spots and he just kept going around to each groups of people. Really cute. My sons enjoyed to watch him swimming around us. I didn't see any tourist groups there like the other post mentioned. I was afraid there would be too many people there but I counted probably like maybe 20's top there. This is a really cool place to visit. So happy we did it and really appreciate your information. Thank you!

so happy to hear it. the turtles were indeed very friendly when we were there; they circled round and round, just like you described. glad you got to experience it as well, as did your son!

Just wanted to say a big thanks for this post @jtba we just got back from Aulani and finding the turtles was a highlight of our trip. They are gorgeous creatures and my family will never forget this experience!!! I never would have known about this beach with out your help. Thanks so much!

Just wanted to say a big thanks for this post @jtba we just got back from Aulani and finding the turtles was a highlight of our trip. They are gorgeous creatures and my family will never forget this experience!!! I never would have known about this beach with out your help. Thanks so much!

so glad you had a great time! :)

We went on Thursday around 8:30am and were the only ones on the beach but did not see anything. We tried again around 6:30pm and didn't see anything again, this time maybe 10 people were there watching the sunset. Is there a time of day that's best to see them? We're home now but were bummed we didn't catch them! We did see one turtle at the North Shore, however.

We went on Thursday around 8:30am and were the only ones on the beach but did not see anything. We tried again around 6:30pm and didn't see anything again, this time maybe 10 people were there watching the sunset. Is there a time of day that's best to see them? We're home now but were bummed we didn't catch them! We did see one turtle at the North Shore, however.

bummer! not sure if there's a best time... someone else asked the same question above but no one replied. seems like it's a luck of the draw type of thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter