Car rental questions??

ErinC

DIS Veteran
Just made an Aulani reservation for Dec. 20-27th. Probably will stay a few days in Waikiki before flying home around 29-30. All depends on what we settle on air fare wise. Just checking those dates I'm finding rates between $700-900. Where can I find a better deal?

That’s goin* to be an expensive time for hotels and cars. We are at aulani now for 10 days and got a minivan for under $400. When you get air the airline often has better deals. Or prices may go down the closer you get to date also do you really need a car? Parking at aulani is $37 a day unless you are DVC. We only rent a car to get groceries and to go to church on Sunday otherwise we never leave. But if we had to pay parking we wouldn’t get a car. You could rent a car for a day from here to go out sightseeing. Also Uber or Lyft is pretty cheap. I definitely wouldn’t keep a car in Honolulu. Traffic is a pain and hotels charge a lot for parking

We are DVC, so no parking charges for those days. I'll look at Turo. I've never been on a vacation anywhere without a car. Just can't imagine not having one. Thank you for the responses.

autoslash.com is awesome! beat my rate for july by half over Costco

What is Turo? I was super shocked at how much rentals cost. We used Discount Hawaii, and at a discount it was still way too much.

It’s an app. People rent their cars to others, kind of like Airbnb with houses. It’s all insured and legit.

Has anyone flown into HNL but rented a vehicle from an off-airport location...I'm specifically interested in Hertz? Looks like HNL charges a fairly large facility fee...if there's a nearby location that's a quick Uber, I'm curious if anyone's done that to save the airport fee.

I used Costco in the past, but last trip I got a midsize car for a month for $900. I just check as soon as we book (usually close to a year out), and then keep checking weekly or so.

Airport is usually cheapest; we even used to rent from the airport when we needed an extra car for out of town guests (we only had one car for a couple years when we lived in Kailua). It was always cheapest to book it there rather than any other location on the island.

Has anyone flown into HNL but rented a vehicle from an off-airport location...I'm specifically interested in Hertz? Looks like HNL charges a fairly large facility fee...if there's a nearby location that's a quick Uber, I'm curious if anyone's done that to save the airport fee.

Most of the rental places are not actually at the airport. And those that are many of them have their counter at the airport but their cars somewhere else. I think Avis has their cars at the airport and possibly some others but Avis is also much more expensive than the rest. They have shuttles that take you to the car rental lots

Discount Hawaii Car Rental or Costco are the two I use for the best rates. I book and always keep checking as rates fluctuate all the time.

Precisely where I virtually ALWAYS find my best car rental rates for our yearly Hawaii trips! :cutie:

I just check as soon as we book (usually close to a year out), and then keep checking weekly or so.

I book the best rate I can find, even if an awful rate, about a year out. Then as Happymommy says, I keep checking and checking. More times than not, I'll end up finding a better rate, but definitely not always, which is why I snag a car I'll be happy with close to a year out. Sometimes Hawaii car rental rates go exorbitantly high! It's because they have such a finite number of cars. Here on the mainland U.S., if Atlanta needs more cars, they can drive some up from say, Orlando, or whatever. Ain't no drivin' going on between Hawaiian islands! :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter