Car Rental/Sightseeing Questions

lunaland

Mouseketeer
We are getting ready for our first ever trip to Hawaii on November 30th. This was a somewhat impromptu trip, booked several days ago. We booked a week at Aulani and are flying to Disneyland for a few days after for my birthday. We had planned on just staying at Aulani the entire trip, but we got a great deal on flights by arriving a day earlier and are now thinking we will stay close to the airport that night and rent a car to do some sightseeing. I reserved a car that I can return at Aulani and am wondering how that works. Is the car rental location fairly well marked? Close enough to the lobby to carry our bags and any snacks we purchased? Or can we park temporarily to check in first?

Also looking for any ideas for sights to see! We are 2 adults (26 & 31) and will be arriving at 1pm and planning on being at Aulani for checkin the next day by 4. We aren't big on nightlife and probably couldn't do any strenuous activities like hikes (bad back). My friend would love to see Sea Turtles. Would love to hear any ideas for trips on our own or suggestions for a reputable company for a guided tour.

I would recommend Hanauma Bay. It can be an non-strenuous as you'd like :)

Have you researched places to stay near the airport? There aren't many choices. Seversl DIS'ers have posted about places, so if you need info, you might post with "airport hotel" in the title.

There are sea turtles at Paradise Cove next to Aulani. Wish we had known this when we went.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...dited-now-with-directions-and-photos.3501609/

I don't know how often they're there, but it looks awesome. If you don't see them there, Laniakea Beach on the North Shore is pretty reliable for sea turtles. It's a small beach though and parking is on the street (which is usually a pain).

Instead of an airport hotel, I think you should figure out what you want to do and find a place near your last location.

the hotels at/near the airport are gack. Do not stay in the Best Western or Airport Hotel (they're connected) Find a cheaper room down in waikiki walk down to the end of waikiki by the Hilton Hawaii and rent paddle boards or a kayak. Turtles are plentiful out by the reef.

There are sea turtles at Paradise Cove next to Aulani. Wish we had known this when we went.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...dited-now-with-directions-and-photos.3501609/

I don't know how often they're there, but it looks awesome. If you don't see them there, Laniakea Beach on the North Shore is pretty reliable for sea turtles. It's a small beach though and parking is on the street (which is usually a pain).

Instead of an airport hotel, I think you should figure out what you want to do and find a place near your last location.
There are SOMETIMES turtles there. Three strikes for us, though :(

I reserved a car that I can return at Aulani and am wondering how that works. Is the car rental location fairly well marked? Close enough to the lobby to carry our bags and any snacks we purchased? Or can we park temporarily to check in first?
I'd drive up to the entrance and have bell services take your bags. From there just drive over to the car rental return place (they will direct you).

We booked a last minute Sunset and Cocktail catamaran trip through the Aulani excursions desk that ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. Round trip transportation is provided, the views from the boat are out of this world, light food is provided and drinks cost $2- can't beat it. As stated by others you can try the beach area by Paradise Cove for sea turtles. We had no luck seeing them when we visited :( .

We aren't big on nightlife and probably couldn't do any strenuous activities like hikes (bad back). My friend would love to see Sea Turtles.

Its good you don't care for nightlife because we didn't find much of it in Hawaii, especially not at Aulani. Our typical schedule was up early, back in the room by 8-9pm watching TV and calling it an early night. The only strenuous activity we did was Diamond Head, which I would avoid if I were you. We loved Kualoa Ranch - many different tours depending on your interest, as well as beautiful sights. Not far from Kailua which has some of my favorite beaches.

We tried the beach next to Paradise Cove twice and were never able to catch the sea turtles. We did have luck at Laniakea Beach though. For the OP, I would recommend visiting Haleiwa in the North Shore - grabbing lunch at one of the shrimp trucks and a shave ice at Matsumoto's, and then continue down the road to Laniakea Beach. You can put it in the GPS, but you'll know you've arrived when traffic slows up and you see cars parked on the road. It's a busy area, but we had no issue with parking. You do have to walk down some uneven terrain to get to the beach, and its a very small beach - not one for sunbathing or swimming. There were maybe 20-30 people there when we stopped, all surrounding one lone sea turtle on the beach. There were also educators there making sure no one got too close and answering questions. Worth a stop if you're visiting the North Shore - which I definitely recommend!

I would stay in Waikiki. At sunset walk along the beach, all the beach hotels will have live music. The Moana and Halekulani are very good stops. Try to get a reservation at Dukes, but you might be too late

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter