CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My niece and I went to tea on the ship. I don't know why I keep trying but it is not good. The macarons are hard and tasteless and the scone was incredibly dry and there were not strawberry preserves. I'm very critical of my tea time!
enhance

Now that the laundry is done and groceries bought I can start planning next year! Unfortunately, I think we will have to cancel our planned Princess British Isles cruise. Number crunching says we will not make our monetary goal :sad: I think my mom wants to go back to WDW and do a longer trip. I'm kind of over it and we do have DL planned for 2020 along with our Panorama cruise but she is Queen and she has spoken :scratchin

My niece and I went to tea on the ship. I don't know why I keep trying but it is not good. The macarons are hard and tasteless and the scone was incredibly dry and there were not strawberry preserves. I'm very critical of my tea time!
enhance

Ah... Same thing happened to me the first time. On the Victory in April 2018, everything was good and fresh though. It's really hit or miss.

Now that the laundry is done and groceries bought I can start planning next year! Unfortunately, I think we will have to cancel our planned Princess British Isles cruise. Number crunching says we will not make our monetary goal :sad: I think my mom wants to go back to WDW and do a longer trip. I'm kind of over it and we do have DL planned for 2020 along with our Panorama cruise but she is Queen and she has spoken :scratchin

Can't you find a cheaper option for the British Isle cruise? The itinerary sounded so much nicer than WDW...

I'm home!!! It was nice to get away for 2 weeks but a surly teen made some of the trip not fun. The woes of leaving your first girlfriend. Ugh.

I promised pictures from our cruise so I will try post a few.

We always do a door decoration. It's fun leading up to the cruise and makes it easy to find our room.

enhance
Oh wow, did you make that? I love it!

For the roll call, and I am sooooo excited!

October 6, 2018 @lovin'fl - 8 nights Eastern Caribbean - Horizon

Booked the night before the cruise at Copper Creek and the night after getting off cruise at DHHIR. We also have friends joining us on the cruise for their first Carnival and our (something like) 10th.

Yayyyyy!!! I just added your cruise to the roll call!!! :D

So jealous you're going to experience the Horizon!

For the roll call, and I am sooooo excited!

October 6, 2018 @lovin'fl - 8 nights Eastern Caribbean - Horizon

Booked the night before the cruise at Copper Creek and the night after getting off cruise at DHHIR. We also have friends joining us on the cruise for their first Carnival and our (something like) 10th.

I am shocked. I did not even know that Disney had a resort in Hilton Head. How did I miss that info?!?!?!?

I am shocked. I did not even know that Disney had a resort in Hilton Head. How did I miss that info?!?!?!?
It's DVC. It is really nice and will be a great stop for the night.
Cannot wait to try out the Horizon, bad reviews be darned. We have been on mostly the fantasy class of smaller older ships so this will be a nice treat. Also usually do 4-5 nighters. We did book the family harbor section because our friends wanted that since they'll have their kiddos. My kids will all be off in college so I hope it's not too wild and tot-like down there on that floor.

It's DVC. It is really nice and will be a great stop for the night.
Cannot wait to try out the Horizon, bad reviews be darned. We have been on mostly the fantasy class of smaller older ships so this will be a nice treat. Also usually do 4-5 nighters. We did book the family harbor section because our friends wanted that since they'll have their kiddos. My kids will all be off in college so I hope it's not too wild and tot-like down there on that floor.

I don't know... While it is true that I have only cruised with Carnival three times, I don't understand the hate for the Vista & Horizon. I love the Vista so much... She's my favorite ship. The Horizon sounds even better.

I don't know... While it is true that I have only cruised with Carnival three times, I don't understand the hate for the Vista & Horizon. I love the Vista so much... She's my favorite ship. The Horizon sounds even better.
The one newer ship we did go on was our last cruise a couple years ago on the Magic and we LOVED it so I think we'll like the Horizon too.

It seems to me that most of the complaints about Vista and Horizon are from long time Carnival passengers that hate the fact there are no glass atrium elevators and the layout is different than traditional Carnival ships. They all just can’t seem to get past those two things. Going from Disney to Vista as our first Carnival cruise I thought the layout made perfect sense and we love Vista too. I never thought I could like a ship better than the Disney Fantasy, but I certainly do like Vista more.

It seems to me that most of the complaints about Vista and Horizon are from long time Carnival passengers that hate the fact there are no glass atrium elevators and the layout is different than traditional Carnival ships. They all just can’t seem to get past those two things. Going from Disney to Vista as our first Carnival cruise I thought the layout made perfect sense and we love Vista too. I never thought I could like a ship better than the Disney Fantasy, but I certainly do like Vista more.

Same here but with the Disney Dream.

And I can do without the glass elevator too. :)

Oh, goodness, we are now looking at the 14 night Journey cruise on Triumph next May! It has 8 sea days and only hits 5 ports; 4 of which we have never been (Colon, Panama-Puerto Limon, Costa Rica-Grand Cayman-Half Moon Cay). Much to discuss with the family over the next couple of days.

Oh, goodness, we are now looking at the 14 night Journey cruise on Triumph next May! It has 8 sea days and only hits 5 ports; 4 of which we have never been (Colon, Panama-Puerto Limon, Costa Rica-Grand Cayman-Half Moon Cay). Much to discuss with the family over the next couple of days.

Grand Cayman :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

You'd do that instead of the British Isle cruise?

Yes, we most definitely have to cancel :( I'm super bummed but we don't like to go into debt for our vacation and if we can't meet budget then we must change plans.

Awww. I understand.

IMHO, with very few exception (ex: a family member being terminally ill), I think it's stupid to go into debt for a vacation.

Plus, it may not be 100% the trip you wanted to do but that doesn't mean it won't be amazing. By the way, I have friends who have been to Costa Rica and they loved it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter