CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started looking for cruises for 2019... I kinda have my heart set on Aruba & Curaçao BUT...

I kinda have the fear of missing out. I mean... Other ports must have their own charm, right?

What are the best ports you have visited?

We just did a southern Caribbean sailing from Puerto Rico.
My faves in the order of most to least liked islands:
1. St.Kitts
2. Aruba
3. Puerto Rico
4. Antigua
5. Martinique

Now to be fair, Martinique was the only Port we stayed near the ship due to inclement weather so it might have been #4 if we ventured out. It was most expensive though.
I expected Antigua to be my fav but it was near the bottom. Found people rude and pushy there. Beautiful beaches, but not nearly as friendly as St.Kitts or Aruba.

Me too! ::yes:: Winter here in Canada has been way colder than in the previous years (the heating bill is going to hurt!) and we have received record amounts of snow.

Our cruise cannot happen fast enough!

Most of North America has been colder than usual this winter... not just Canada.
Even Florida has had several cold/frost alerts this year with WDW closing all pools etc.
Northern Florida had some snow for the first time in 40 years? And Texas...
It's just been crazy. Everyone says oh well this is Canada... oh no, SW Ontario shouldn't get as cold as it had been.
Just crazy and unpredictable everywhere. Not even enough to go as far south as Florida, Cuba or Bahamas. Need to go a lot further south for guaranteed warmth :) Well until April, then FL gets hot enough.
Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Last edited:

1. St.Kitts
2. Aruba
3. Puerto Rico
4. Antigua
5. Martinique

Now to be fair, Martinique was the only Port we stayed near the ship due to inclement weather so it might have been #4 if we ventured out. It was most expensive though.
I expected Antigua to be my fav but it was near the bottom. Found people rude and pushy there. Beautiful beaches, but not nearly as friendly as St.Kitts or Aruba.

Most of North America has been colder than usual this winter... not just Canada.
Even Florida has had several cold/frost alerts this year with WDW closing all pools etc.
It's just been crazy. Everyone says oh well this is Canada... oh no, SW Ontario shouldn't get as cold as it had been.
Just crazy and unpredictable everywhere. Not even enough to go as far south as Florida, Cuba or Bahamas. Need to go a lot further south for guaranteed warmth :) Well until April, the FL gets warm enough.
That sounds like a great cruise. What ship were u on?

1. St.Kitts
2. Aruba
3. Puerto Rico
4. Antigua
5. Martinique

The Carnival Fascination has a similar itinerary.

1. St.Kitts
2. Aruba
3. Puerto Rico
4. Antigua
5. Martinique

Just crazy and unpredictable everywhere. Not even enough to go as far south as Florida, Cuba or Bahamas. Need to go a lot further south for guaranteed warmth :) Well until April, then FL gets hot enough.
I agree about the weather, on ground hog day we got hit with we’d have 6 more weeks of winter in AZ, that day our high was 81, oh the humanity. :rotfl2::rotfl2:
We’ve been really lucky this year, winter was about 2 days, high in the high 50’s, mostly been in the 70’s and 80’s since Christmas.

@Club Disney Chandler
Wow ... that is amazing. Looks like they are getting serious about revitalizing west coast cruising. Too bad I'm no longer there.
I am not riding now, but yes, I am a cyclist. Used to ride the OC Wheelman Amtrak Century when I lived in town. Some of my favorite rides were along PCH to Dana Point or just along the Santa Ana River Trail from Green River to the beach and back before the homeless encampments. A a big guy so I don't do climbing well, but I've taken a few treks up Newport Mesa drive and into Irvine too. Those were the days.

@Club Disney Chandler
Wow ... that is amazing. Looks like they are getting serious about revitalizing west coast cruising. Too bad I'm no longer there.
I am not riding now, but yes, I am a cyclist. Used to ride the OC Wheelman Amtrak Century when I lived in town. Some of my favorite rides were along PCH to Dana Point or just along the Santa Ana River Trail from Green River to the beach and back before the homeless encampments. A a big guy so I don't do climbing well, but I've taken a few treks up Newport Mesa drive and into Irvine too. Those were the days.
I just started riding about 18 months ago, about 100 miles/week. Predominantly road but I just added a cyclocross bike to the collection and have been doing some gravel which is a blast.

This is one of those is she serious? Questions, but here goes.

We're looking at the 2019 Key West - Cozumel trip in early May, hoping to find the sweet spot between spring break rush and kids are out of school (including ours) rush. Just DH and I on a 20th Anniversary trip. DCL has an option, but Carnival is just so. much. cheaper. I've spent the evening looking at this thread and am really warming to the idea of going with Carnival.

On to my off the beaten path question. We're both big soda people (I know, I know but it is what it is) but we both prefer fountain soda. If we go with the Cheers program do we get a mug/ have access to self serve fountain soda? Or do you get cans from the bar?

We're looking at the 2019 Key West - Cozumel trip in early May, hoping to find the sweet spot between spring break rush and kids are out of school (including ours) rush. Just DH and I on a 20th Anniversary trip. DCL has an option, but Carnival is just so. much. cheaper. I've spent the evening looking at this thread and am really warming to the idea of going with Carnival.

On to my off the beaten path question. We're both big soda people (I know, I know but it is what it is) but we both prefer fountain soda. If we go with the Cheers program do we get a mug/ have access to self serve fountain soda? Or do you get cans from the bar?
They don’t have self serve fountains, but depending on where you get it, you’ll receive a can with ice or from a fountain. Also, just to be clear, the Cheers program is for the alcohol package, Bottomless Bubbles is for the unlimited soda package.

1. St.Kitts
2. Aruba
3. Puerto Rico
4. Antigua
5. Martinique

I just realized I don't know St. Kitts... Have n. Idea what it looks like. I should look it up.

Which ship are you looking at?

I think that what is important is to understand that Carnival is not DCL. But just because it is different does not mean it's bad. DH and I like it more than DCL now. For my husband and I, the comedy shows really make the difference. There are too types of shows. The PG and the 18+. If you are not sure the 18+ will be for you, you can try the PG first and see how it goes... Depending on which ship you are looking at, I might be able to recommend certain musical shows as well.

I was so scared to not enjoy the cruise the first time I went from DCL to Carnival that I booked a verandah thinking "if it sucks that much, I'll spend the whole cruise gazing at the sea and I'll be fine!". Turns out we barely spent time on the verandah.

If you like to get close to your staff during dining, I recommend you book a precise time for dining, otherwise when you pick Your Time Dining, you might end up with different servers every night.

Carnival have self-serve frozen yogourt instead of ice cream but IMO it's just as good and I am obsessed with the strawberry one.

Most ship include a library with a lot of board games available if you are into that. This is something we wished DCL had.

If you have any questions, let us know. :)

P.s.: I wish Carnival had self-serve machines for sodas. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them add that in the future.

Last edited:

A few thoughts here that could help you out on a final decision on which line to choose.
1) @mevelandry is right to ask about the ship you are considering. Carnival has a lot of ships on the water and they can be very different based on age and where they are in their renovation cycle. They don't all have the amenities listed in this thread and some are getting pretty long in the tooth. Disney only has four ships and they keep them in very good order. Most Carnival ships look very nice, but some can make you feel like you're at a cheap motel.
2) I really like Carnival and will sail them again, but I can't recommend their big production/musical shows. They try. They really do. They just don't put the same level of talent on the stage and the show designs lack the polish you find at the best musical theater venues around the country. It's not really fair to compare. Disney is an entertainment company. It's in their DNA. The Carnival production shows are much more enjoyable if you remind yourself how much you saved.

You will have a great time as long as you don't start comparing the differences and making a list. A Carnival cruise is a different experience than a Disney cruise. It isn't a worse experience. It's a different experience. The Carnival product and pricing benefit from their large scale.

A few thoughts here that could help you out on a final decision on which line to choose.
1) @mevelandry is right to ask about the ship you are considering. Carnival has a lot of ships on the water and they can be very different based on age and where they are in their renovation cycle. They don't all have the amenities listed in this thread and some are getting pretty long in the tooth. Disney only has four ships and they keep them in very good order. Most Carnival ships look very nice, but some can make you feel like you're at a cheap motel.
2) I really like Carnival and will sail them again, but I can't recommend their big production/musical shows. They try. They really do. They just don't put the same level of talent on the stage and the show designs lack the polish you find at the best musical theater venues around the country. It's not really fair to compare. Disney is an entertainment company. It's in their DNA. The Carnival production shows are much more enjoyable if you remind yourself how much you saved.

You will have a great time as long as you don't start comparing the differences and making a list. A Carnival cruise is a different experience than a Disney cruise. It isn't a worse experience. It's a different experience. The Carnival product and pricing benefit from their large scale.

Regarding 1: John Heald mentioned recently that they want all ships to be updated with 2.0 by the end of 2019. It's good news.

Regarding 2: Have you seen Vrooom on the Carnival Victory? It is fantastic. When we saw it, we were very impressed.

I've seen part of the show Flick on the Vista. Visually, it was magnificient but unfortunately, one of the principal male singers' pitch wasn't perfect and... well, many music teachers in my life thought I may have "perfect ear" (I'm not sure if it's true, all I know is it makes me ultra picky and I notice every single note that it flat or sharp...) I couldn't handle it. :confused3 That's too bad because the show has the potential to be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter